Gransnet forums

News & politics

Too sad to talk about really

(160 Posts)
whitewave Sun 19-Apr-15 16:24:17

Just saw an advert relating to the migrants drowning in the Med. and a picture of someone carrying a baby - all you could see were two little feet in a pink baby grow and the rest of the baby was covered in a blanket she was obviously drowned. I cried.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 22:21:39

Apologies for getting your name the wrong way round

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 22:19:36

What would your answer be jendurham?

durhamjen Thu 23-Apr-15 22:01:36

I consider myself to have humanity, Ana. When I say we, I mean those British who want to send refugees back where they came from, or allow them to drown in the Mediterranean. They actually do it in my name, and the names of others who disagree with them.
The Mediterranean, for God's sake! I've visited these places where the bodies are being washed up now. I'm sure many of you have, too.

durhamjen Thu 23-Apr-15 21:56:58

A letter in today's Guardian, magpie.

"Will someone please explain the moral difference between the politicians who closed Britain’s door to Jews fleeing persecution in Nazi Germany and those who now want to shut out people trying to escape from the disaster that has engulfed them in North Africa and the Middle East? As long as we try to evade our fundamental human duty to them (never mind our share of the responsibility for their plight), we can contribute nothing to resolving this tragedy."

merlotgran Thu 23-Apr-15 21:44:13

I take it your hairdresser didn't ask you where you were going on holiday, durhamjen?

If she did I bet she's regretting it.

Ana Thu 23-Apr-15 21:32:56

Oh don't be so melodramatic, durhamjen.

And speak for yourself when you say 'we' had no humanity.

durhamjen Thu 23-Apr-15 21:28:00

Anyone going to the Mediterranean for their holidays this year?
What will happen when the rest of the bodies start washing up on the beaches because we had no humanity?

Soutra Thu 23-Apr-15 21:27:15

By "Grannies" I meant members of Gransnet

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 21:04:14

There is no easy answer to the boat people from Africa, if there was, it would have been sorted by now.

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 21:03:17

grannies are just people who have lived a bit longer than others!

Soutra Thu 23-Apr-15 19:20:50

I always thought I had encountered all sorts in my professional life but on reflection, the majority of my encounters have been with considerate, reasonable and, well, basically, well-mannered people.

Like most "Grannies" in fact.

Ana Thu 23-Apr-15 19:16:31

jingl, you're right there! grin

magpie123 Thu 23-Apr-15 19:08:53

Soutra you were the one trying to be funny/sarcastic telling me to calm down dear, I am just responding, if you think my little post was trying to bite your head off, all I can say is you must have lived a very sheltered life dear!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 19:07:17

Humph! That'll be the day.

Soutra Thu 23-Apr-15 19:03:34

Helloooo!

I am really not sure whether you are always this snippy but please don't take whatever is bugging you out on me.
I am perfectlly at liberty to express my own opinion without having my head bitten off too.

<Retires behind sofa>

magpie123 Thu 23-Apr-15 18:55:27

Soutra are you durhamjen's spokesperson now, can she not speak for herself, or has it all got too much dear.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 13:21:03

I'm not sure I like the sound of "Christian Brothers". Sound like old school missionaries!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 13:18:09

I agree we have to budge up and take as many of these people in as we can. It is heartbreaking to think of them being put on more seaworthy boats and sent back again.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 13:15:37

And your post about not being allowed in this country because you are Christian is ridiculous. You must understand what I'm saying better than that. I cannot believe you are really as thick as two short planks.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 13:12:40

that is totally stupid to say that I wouldn't want my grandchildren to go to West Africa at the moment. Of course I wouldn't. I am well aware that Ebola is still rife in places. What was the point in even saying that? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 13:09:49

The reasoning behind it jendurham is that we can't possibly accept all migrants in this small island. I would have thought that was obvious. I have already mentioned the fact that Christians seem to be in huge danger in many parts of the world these days.

I don't know the answers, and I don't want to argue about it.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 13:03:27

Absent. "jingl Europe is not the only place where there are large Christian communities."

I find being spoken to like that really insulting. What gives you the idea that I am totally stupid?! I am well aware of Christianity in other countries, especially Africa. DON'T talk down to me Madam. hmm angry

Soutra Thu 23-Apr-15 12:17:21

Oh calm down dear * magpie*!!
It is not hard to have a dig at politicians and Nigel Farage is no exception..
I think people of most political persuasions would let their Christian charity or simple humanity overrule party politics.

magpie123 Thu 23-Apr-15 10:02:07

durhamjen I am talking about the migrants not people already here, but you knew that didn't you, don't twist everything to suit your own agenda which is having a dig at Nigel Farage and the people that support UKIP. As if all the people who are not christians and already living in this country would have to leave where do you think we are living Nazi Germany, get real, have you no common sense. Obviously I feel very sorry for these people, but you can't take every migrant from every country who wants a better life and most people in the real world (apart from a handful on Gransnet) would agree with this.

durhamjen Thu 23-Apr-15 00:09:34

If we do not let them in officially, they come unofficially.

This is then what happens in this country to those without papers, like absent mentions.

www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2015/04/22/comment-the-death-which-shows-the-human-cost-of-farage-s-hea