Gransnet forums

News & politics

A thread for the all-nighters

(340 Posts)
whitewave Thu 07-May-15 10:12:23

Thought I would post this up for those of us who are hoping for the stamina to stay up!

soontobe Fri 08-May-15 15:05:40

I think that DC was quite comfortable working with lib dems. I dont think he is going to be comfortable working with his own backbenchers.

whitewave Fri 08-May-15 15:05:17

Many Tory pundits are talking about the small majority and the potential difficulty he is going to have keeping his right wing in order. Major had a bigger majority but apparently had 41/2 years of in-fighting with a chaotic government - one of the reasons Labour had such a landslide.

Tegan Fri 08-May-15 14:53:42

Cameron is nowhere near far right enough for many members of his party. He'll be watching his back right from the start..they can be very ruthless. Game of Thrones indeed shock.

Ana Fri 08-May-15 14:24:03

Clinging on to the hope that Cameron might have to step down (doesn't seem very likely) in two years' time will I'm sure console those who didn't vote for his party.

soontobe Fri 08-May-15 14:18:42

Why might Cameron have to stand down?

I think that BJ is going to have to wait a while. At least until after a referendum.

I couldnt believe it in 2010 when Liberal went with the conservatives, as many others were surprised as well.

durhamjen Fri 08-May-15 14:11:11

Two years, bramblelover, when Cameron has to step down because of the EU referendum.

bramblelover Fri 08-May-15 13:52:35

Wonder how long it will be before Boris Johnson challenges David Cameron for leadership . Considering putting a bet on that it will happen during this next parliament. . Buffoon he may appear but beneath lies a determined ambitious intelligent person. I read that Boris is continuing as Mayor of London for the next year as well as being an M.P . Two salaries no doubt!

FarNorth Fri 08-May-15 13:23:34

I wonder how it would have gone if Nick Clegg had decided to support Labour instead of Conservative in 2010.

Remember how it was all up to him and the fate of the nation depended on it?

janerowena Fri 08-May-15 12:59:42

I felt for them, too. I have often voted for them in the past.

Bogoff Fri 08-May-15 12:57:02

Regardless of our political leanings, most of the outgoing MP's have worked hard for their constituants and deserve thanks. I do feel sorry for the LD's, they were decimated.

janerowena Fri 08-May-15 12:44:11

I couldn't face the speeches. I always feel sorry for those losing their seats - apart from Nige.

Does anyone on here come from Thanet? As a Kentish Maid born and bred, all I will say is - some very odd people live there.

Tegan Fri 08-May-15 12:29:40

Ed's speech was awful sad.

Elegran Fri 08-May-15 12:22:15

I didn't vote for the SNP candidate, but I can see from the viewpoint of those who did. There was a lot of patronising drivel spoken and written in the run-up to the independence referendum. It was treated like a peasants revolt in Ruritania, to be contained by the more "politically knowledgable" and sophisticated in power, and empty promises were made to keep the hoi polloi happy.

Eck the fish spearheaded the campaign, and whipped up interest, but it would not have gained ground without real discontent. Come the hour, cometh the man. But the referendum vote showed that more Scots wanted to remain part of the UK than wanted to leave and Wee Eck was eclipsed.

I don't want Scotland to leave the Union - but I would like there to be more energetic representation of Scottish interests at Westminster, and I would like there to be input from a more plebeian section of the population than the traditionally conservative majority than the one we will have in power.

I think the SNP contingent will have a leavening influence on legislation in the next few years. It will be an interesting time.

As for a second referendum - that will only happen if it is passed by parliament. From Nicola Sturgeon's point of view, it would be a mistake to move for it too early, so there are a few years for the country to consider its response to that, ready for the debate on it.

janerowena Fri 08-May-15 12:20:24

Tegan swap Green for Labour, and your post is me. I kept quiet because I knew the Greens wouldn't get very far, there are too many weirdos in it, but I still wish they would get a few more MPs and have more say.

FarNorth Fri 08-May-15 12:19:25

Jane10 I didn't realise we were having an argument, I thought we just exchanged a couple of views.
Have a nice day smile

POGS Fri 08-May-15 12:18:29

So it's up to Harriet now then, Ed's gawn.

How long before she is challenged as another toff? Sauce for the goose and all that.

harrigran Fri 08-May-15 12:09:52

wine Merlot and other like minded Gransnetters.

Bogoff Fri 08-May-15 11:55:21

If I heard him correctly I'm sure NF said he would stand down, but would consider if he might re-stand for election in September, could be a short resignation. sad

POGS Fri 08-May-15 11:38:32

Jane 10

Didn't the Institute of Fiscal Studies evaluate the SNP Manifesto as being the more austerity hard out of all the parties.?

soontobe Fri 08-May-15 11:36:39

UKIP's future may rest upon what happens at the European referendum.

POGS Fri 08-May-15 11:36:31

Could be .

Clegg now resigned. I actually feel a bit sorry for him.

Jane10 Fri 08-May-15 11:36:21

farnorth re SNP -if only! They still play one club golf- independence is still the name of their game. They spent less per head on health and on education than England and had a budget underspend - that says it all about their economic competence while blaming Cameron for "austerity"! They don't speak for all Scots but present themselves as though they do. We'll never agree on this so I don't propose to keep an argument going. Am off to work smarter!

rosesarered Fri 08-May-15 11:31:00

There is no UKIP without Nige POGS, wouldn't be surprised if they dwindled away now( good!)

rosesarered Fri 08-May-15 11:26:49

Harperson, I like that!grin

POGS Fri 08-May-15 11:23:12

Forage RESIGNED.

Will UKIP implode now. Suzanne Evans is a good speaker but will they have the will to carry on much.

Where does this leave his seat in the European Parliament ?