Gransnet forums

News & politics

More devolution for local government

(9 Posts)
durhamjen Sat 17-Oct-15 16:42:02

politicalscrapbook.net/2015/10/thatcherite-minister-calls-death-of-teesside-steel-industry-a-distraction/

This is the man who is responsible for the Northern Powerhouse.
Why have we been saddled with such an idiot?

Lilygran Tue 14-Jul-15 10:10:19

A number of areas voted against having an elected mayor. But obviously, we got it wrong because here it comes again with incentives.

durhamjen Mon 13-Jul-15 22:59:14

It has to be sent back to the commons for them to agree or disagree with the lords amendments. If the government disagrees it can go to a vote. Otherwise it can be put through without the amendments by government decree of some sort or other.
Not sure what they will do, but as you say it's a way of bringing Labour councils to heel. I heard on the radio today that there was to be an extra bit about the North East in the budget, but he left it out as we had not elected our mayor yet.
Doesn't make any difference, as he's not willing to upgrade the railways, so we are not part of the powerhouse. Someone said on the local news tonight that if you want to see the history of the railways, you just need to travel south to north, and you go back in time.

Gracesgran Mon 13-Jul-15 22:36:12

Will it get turned round in the commons? I'm with you all, GO's remark is totally illogical and it is so undemocratic. I think we are generally talking about Labour councils in these areas aren't we ... dear oh dear.

durhamjen Mon 13-Jul-15 21:27:05

The Tories have lost the vote in the Lords.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/13/tories-defeated-lords-vote-city-mayors-devolution

durhamjen Thu 14-May-15 10:57:21

But he is imposing it on the North East. How else will he get his Northern Powerhouse?
The MP he has put in charge is the MP for Stockton.

whitewave Thu 14-May-15 10:17:10

Can someone explain this logic? How cheeky!
Hands on head Mr Osborne and 100 lines - "I must not try to influence the outcome of mayoral elections"

Elegran Thu 14-May-15 10:11:26

Not even logical - how can he say he is not imposing a model while adding that he will not allow anything else?

ayse Thu 14-May-15 09:59:07

As part of the devolution plan, only cities that elected their own mayor would be given control of local transport, housing, skills and healthcare.

"I will not impose this model on anyone," Mr Osborne will say, "but nor will I settle for less."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32726171

I think this is very undemocratic - if you want a bit more control have a mayor. Newcastle voted against a mayor - so much for equal treatment!!