Gransnet forums

News & politics

Osbourne £3bn cuts - Eduction £450m

(5 Posts)
Gracesgran Sat 06-Jun-15 08:17:21

I thought this information might be useful.

Schools protected; administrative costs at "arms-length bodies" cut; sixth-form colleges vulnerable; children's service could be affected; doubts growing on childcare funding.

This is from the "i" yesterday 5 June 2015. I am assuming "arms-length bodies" are quangos such as those that set up the frameworks for exams, etc., and that "sixth-form colleges includes all FE colleges but perhaps someone can enlighten me.

(E & EO please blush)

durhamjen Sat 06-Jun-15 16:47:52

I wonder if by saying that schools are protected, it means all teaching staff, or just teachers. Are teaching assistants protected?

I think sixth forms are covered by the education budget, but FE by the Business, Innovations and Skills.

Gracesgran Sat 06-Jun-15 19:15:08

I think it is the budget rather than people Jen but I read somewhere something about a little twist in this that means schools are actually getting less funding as numbers grow. Perhaps someone can add to this as I really don't have any facts to substantiate it.

durhamjen Sun 07-Jun-15 12:24:27

Are arms-length bodies the owners of free schools? If so that would be a good cut.

durhamjen Sun 07-Jun-15 12:57:48

There is a charity called the Institute for Government led by Lord Sainsbury which has written a report about clarity in arms-length bodies.
It is not clear at all to me. However the Institute for Government seems to have fingers in every government department and wishes the government to sort out the civil service.
Liam Byrne is also a governor of this institute.