Gransnet forums

News & politics

Osborne £3bn cuts - Defence £5000m

(10 Posts)
Gracesgran Sat 06-Jun-15 08:37:31

There's more to come folks ... shock

Another area I don't know much about so looking for information from those that do smile
Cuts to travel and overtime by civilian staff; equipment budget will rise by 1 per cent.

This is from the "i" yesterday, 5 June 2015.

(E & EO please blush)

soontobe Sat 06-Jun-15 08:46:20

Is it £5000 mill or £500 mill?

I am split on defence cuts.
Having been around an airforce base, the figues quoted for everything were mindboggling to some of us being shown around.

But the other part of me says that we already weak enough, defence wise.

I think, what I think, that if some people got hold of the defence budgets, we could make some very easy cuts that would make massive savings.
But if cuts are made in the wrong places, that will not be good at all.

One example.On this example I could be wrong.
They seem to take the aircraft out for flimsy reason. Dare I say it, sometimes for jollies?

The cuts listed in the op may be a very good idea.

Gracesgran Sat 06-Jun-15 08:56:55

There you go soontobe one of the reasons for E & OE grin. You are totally right it should be £500m.

soontobe Sat 06-Jun-15 10:54:47

grin

durhamjen Sat 06-Jun-15 14:37:57

Weakening our defences should not matter if we are part of a greater force as in Europe and NATO. The fact that the Tories want to weaken our defences and our links with Europe is the worrying factor.
Before anyone says that Cameron wants us to stay in Europe, he is being very ambivalent about it, just so he can say he is on the right side.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 06-Jun-15 19:10:54

Don't replace Trident, then the defence budget would be overflowing, even with the cuts, so that we could have decent armed forces (which I think we are good at) who could be used in peace-keeping as well as anything else. We could also keep up a proper Search and Rescue service, naval patrols and maybe even buy some aircraft to go on our new aircraft carriers, should we think that we need them. All better in so many ways than a weapon of mass destruction which we cannot use without the permission of the Americans and which would be no good against terrorism. Why should we want to wipe out Moscow anyway?

Hobby horse, moi?

Gracesgran Sat 06-Jun-15 19:16:42

Whiniwasyourage smile

durhamjen Sat 06-Jun-15 23:28:41

Excellent idea, When.
We wouldn't need any cuts if we did not replace Trident.
Hope the monitors are reading this.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 07-Jun-15 19:08:44

And they wouldn't be driving the things up and down the country, including through Glasgow, just asking for a catastrophic accident. My grandchildren are at risk from this thing, as are those of many other people!

durhamjen Sun 07-Jun-15 22:39:05

Just seen they are talking about the return of Cruise missiles.
Those were the ones that used to be out on the roads when we lived in Hampshire.