Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cameron - a "shrewd & malevolent psychopath"?

(234 Posts)
FarNorth Mon 08-Jun-15 20:27:17

Not that I am suggesting such a thing, but here is a thought-provoking article from the Guardian :
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/01/david-cameron-moriarty-downing-street-radical-thatcher

(For those who don't like links, the title of this thread gives a good clue, so you can just go from there. smile)

durhamjen Sat 27-Jun-15 00:16:09

www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/26/david-cameron-eu-campaign-risky-impact-uk-exit

I wonder who leaked the note.

durhamjen Fri 26-Jun-15 15:48:16

Trisher, your Top Trumps came up trumps.

www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/sell-offs-george-osborne-doesn%27t-want-you-to-know-about

Just hope it makes them think about not doing it, but I'm not holding my breath. The good thing is that more people know about what was planned and do not like the idea.

trisher Tue 23-Jun-15 23:21:45

Giddy was what George was known as at school before he changed his name. I think it suits him better. And we all know public school boys revert to childhood when they meet up, so I thought his friends would probably still think of him as Giddy.

trisher Tue 23-Jun-15 23:13:20

grannyonce Any alternative views are always welcome. I'm willing to discuss political matters with anyone. I don't expect everyone to agree with me and if anyone can justify the actions of Cameron & Co, I would love to hear their reasons.

durhamjen Tue 23-Jun-15 23:02:26

Who's he, Ana?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 23-Jun-15 22:56:33

Oh right. I did read that wrong. Sorry. (daft way of posting though hmm)

Ana Tue 23-Jun-15 22:36:31

I don't think it's very likely he calls George 'Giddy', but I suppose it's worth a cheap laugh.

durhamjen Tue 23-Jun-15 22:34:10

Trisher was talking about Gideon's friends, not pensioners.
I doubt whether he has many poor pensioner friends.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 23-Jun-15 22:24:39

I sometimes think about the lurkers. I reckong GN has probably got a huge number. grin

Some of us could be famous! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 23-Jun-15 22:23:26

Quoting trisher. "Come on Giddy old fellow do us a budget and drop a few nice deals our way"

hmm Don't you think it's time the families with young kids had a look in? I do. I think us pensioners are doing pretty damn well.

soontobe Tue 23-Jun-15 22:19:37

A lot of posters cannot be bothered to put in too much effort to counterbalance the left wing posts and views.
When the election was coming up, I wondered if I should be doing more counterbalancing.
But as the result turned out like it did, I am glad that I didnt bother.

FarNorth Tue 23-Jun-15 22:16:15

I didn't understand the second part of it.

Ana Tue 23-Jun-15 21:53:01

All of it.

soontobe Tue 23-Jun-15 21:30:22

Which part of 18.54pm dont you understand Ana?

soontobe Tue 23-Jun-15 21:29:26

There are many people who only lurk on sites. Put in any hobby. Put in any occupation. And there seems to be a chat forum for it.

soontobe Tue 23-Jun-15 21:24:18

absent and Ana. I lurk on about 4 sites, including a couple of sites for men.
All sites have around the 30:1 view ratio.

thatbags Tue 23-Jun-15 21:21:27

I'll own up to that, absent. Sometimes I make a comment in response to one way up thread and I haven't read all the succeeding ones before mine.

absent Tue 23-Jun-15 21:19:27

soontobe Firstly, the sites are not necessarily comparable and, secondly, just because someone looks at a thread doesn't mean that they read all of it or, indeed, any of it. I am sure I am not the only one who opens a thread with a slightly obscure heading and closes it virtually immediately when I have seen what the OP is about because I am simply not interested. In any case, there is absolutely no way to tell whether lurkers are paying any attention to any given post on a thread. There are plenty of instances when posters make a comment that betrays the fact that haven't read the posts that preceded theirs.

thatbags Tue 23-Jun-15 21:16:00

With you there, roses! Although here it's more sea radish and ox-eye daisies at the mo.

rosesarered Tue 23-Jun-15 21:12:39

TB, I always think positive, it's the only way to live!Cow Parsley and red poppies rule!

Ana Tue 23-Jun-15 21:06:53

You're taking your investigations into social networking very seriously, aren't you soontobe?

I still don't understand at all what your post of 18.54 meant.

soontobe Tue 23-Jun-15 20:26:17

absent. Because on other sites, "views" are published. And the ratio ofr all of the ones I see are somewhere in the ratio of 30 views per 1 post. See netmums as 1 example.
So no reason at all, not to think the same ratio applies to gransnet.

thatbags Tue 23-Jun-15 20:16:29

What a nice thought, roses. If council cuts mean that they'll stop cutting flower filled grass verges, I'm in favour of cuts. Think positive, wot? wink

absent Tue 23-Jun-15 20:06:56

soontobe How do you know that lurkers, who by definition rarely, if ever post, are reading and listening to grannyonce?

rosesarered Tue 23-Jun-15 20:01:59

if Labour had won the election, there would have been a lot of welfare cuts, this is just a fact.There is not a Government with it's own money as some seem to think, it is all OUR money, and cuts have to be made all across the board.Some posters are stuck in the past with the image of wealthy Tories stuffing tenners in each other's pockets, this could equally be wealthy Labour leaders, and is an old fashioned way of thinking.Where are cuts to be made?
I would rather councils stopped verge grass cutting than some services, and here where I live, that is what is happening, all councils have to budget much more cleverly than before.Our economy will come right in the end, and then there will be more services to people who need them and maybe more money for those who are in genuine need.