Gransnet forums

News & politics

Marguerite Patten has died

(18 Posts)
Mamie Wed 10-Jun-15 14:10:05

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jun/10/cookery-writer-marguerite-patten-dies-aged-99
Cookery in Colour was my first ever cookery book. I still have it, with an inscription from my father in the front.
I especially loved hearing her talk about wartime recipes.
RIP

Teetime Wed 10-Jun-15 14:29:58

What a great age she reached and so many books! RIP.

aggie Wed 10-Jun-15 14:34:26

I got a book token for an engagement present and bought her book , just used it again today ........ 50 years on

Anniebach Wed 10-Jun-15 16:20:11

I was given her book for a wedding present , I needed it too

Stansgran Wed 10-Jun-15 16:59:25

One of the first cookery books I bought after getting married was her cooking for two.

Marmight Wed 10-Jun-15 17:49:30

That's sad. I once met her at a demonstration 'do' at Fletcher's of Auchtermuchty (venison producers) along with Clarissa Dickson Wright. Guess which one of the two was the one who happily chatted and had no superior ideas about her station! She must have been well over 80 then. A lovely lady.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Jun-15 17:57:32

Oh that is so sad. I truly believe she was the best cookery writer of our time. Berry and Smith pale to insignificance.

RIP Margueritte Patten

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Jun-15 17:59:01

Apologies for wrong spelling - Marguerite

elena Wed 10-Jun-15 18:29:55

Ah, sad sad But what a great age. I got a school prize when I was 10, and it was one of her books on cakes and sweets. I remember making fudge and toffee to her recipes.

annodomini Wed 10-Jun-15 19:19:37

My first cookbook was one of hers. I remember her on the afternoon TV programmes when television first began in Scotland. My mother thought highly of her too.

AshTree Wed 10-Jun-15 20:12:27

Oh that is sad sad. But what a marvellously long life she had, and so fulfilling.

glassortwo Wed 10-Jun-15 20:22:56

I have her cookery book and used it often when I was first married. I needed some help as my DM was hopeless cook, so between Marguerite Patten and my MIL I can just about throw meal together.

Marmight Wed 10-Jun-15 20:45:33

Glass roastchickengrin

Greyduster Wed 10-Jun-15 22:47:52

I, too, was given her cookery book when I first got married, and still have it, much used, nearly fifty years later. I learned such a lot from it, particularly about cuts of meat. That and the Be-ro book were constants in my kitchen.

janeainsworth Thu 11-Jun-15 12:01:25

Yes, I too still have my copy if Marguerite Patten's basic cookery book which my sister gave me when I left home to live with 3 other girls in a student flat. Our ignorance was such that we used it to try to work out which way up you put a chicken on to roast, and I must have used it on a weekly basis all through my married life.

BarbaraAbbs Mon 12-Oct-15 18:32:31

Just about to make Quince jelly from Marguerite Patten's Basics of Preserves, Jams & Jellies. Easily the best book of its kind and jam-packed (!) with recipes and alternative versions. Not expensive either because there are no glossy pictures.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 18:34:42

Yes. I like her chutneys too.

grannyactivist Mon 12-Oct-15 18:40:18

When my son left home to go to university we were both thrilled that I was able to find her Everyday Cookery book in a charity shop for him to take with him. No way was he taking mine - it's still my most used book after forty five years. grin