Gransnet forums

News & politics

Longer opening hours on Sunday

(180 Posts)
Eloethan Tue 07-Jul-15 19:39:52

I believe this constant ramping up of consumer demand is getting out of hand. Boris Johnson said extended hours would be helpful for the economy but I really don't understand why people buying loads of stuff (much of it imported from other parts of the world) helps our economy. In fact, ever-increasing private debt is a worrying trend and in January this year the Guardian reported

Consumer helplines have sounded a warning after Britons ran up their highest level of new debt in November for nearly seven years, with the month’s borrowing on credit cards, loans and overdrafts hitting more than £1.25bn. National Debtline and StepChange said the figures from the Bank of England showed a worrying rise in consumers’ reliance on credit, and warned they expected a rush of people seeking help when the first credit card bills of the year started to arrive.

I also feel that this change will further assist the big players. This may well be the final nail in the coffin for some small shops that have relied on picking up Sunday customers after the supermarkets close.

What about shop workers? No doubt some of them will be happy to work on a Sunday but many with families will feel pressurised to do so and the leisure time that parents can spend with their young families will be further eroded.

There seems to be a relentless march towards 24-hour consumerism and I can't help but wonder if this is a natural or desirable way for people to live.

From September, five London tube lines will run 24 hours throughout the weekend.

I realise that there are some occupations where unsocial hours are an inevitable part of the job - hospital workers, maintenance workers, early morning cleaners, police, etc. etc. Is it really so essential that shops remain open longer and longer? I was shopping at Debenhams in Regent Street two weeks ago and realised that it had gone 9 p.m. I was actually quite pleased as I had gone there quite late and wanted to get some holiday clothes. I queried what time the shop was open till and the sales assistant told me they were open until 11 p.m. that night. She said she was tired and wanted to get home to her family and I suddenly realised that the undoubted convenience of being able to go shopping into the night was at the expense of someone else's health and happiness.

Trinity Wed 15-Jul-15 13:11:00

I remember seeing a poster years ago when Sunday trading first was suggested. It was a picture of two hands a womans hand holding a childs hand and caption read "my mummy is mine on Sunday's" - it made an impact on me. How many young families are now in the position of having the children in 'shifts' and the children never having 'family' time. Personally I never shop in big stores on a Sunday and only in a corner shop if it's urgent. I think Sunday should still be a special day - we all need a day off!

granjura Wed 15-Jul-15 11:54:29

if it is a true choice gillybob, then that is totally fine. The reason Unions in other parts of Europe are totally against this, is that their studies have shown that there is a lot of coercion in the UK and the USA where 24/7 shopping are common.

Taling about trends rather than making sweeping generalisations- look at the % of obese children in some countries and others- and the links are clear- even if your own GCs are not obese. Is that not the case?

gillybob Wed 15-Jul-15 11:31:14

granjura My DD works 2-3 sundays every month. She works for a large coffee chain. It is part of her contract.

The lady I spoke to in Asda said that they have a list of people eager and waiting to take Sundays as they are only able to work weekends. She said that they would have no problem covering extra sunday hours at all.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 15-Jul-15 11:28:50

I totally agree with gj's last paragraph there.

I think children are looked after in a much healthier way in other European countries.

granjura Wed 15-Jul-15 11:24:21

Of course sweeping generalisations are wrong, but trends can still be picked up. Perhaps go to an Italian or French wedding, and see fr yourself- the atmosphere is (generally) very different- and I've been to very many English ones too in my 39 years there. Never been to one where the music was chosen to include traditional music and songs that would appeal to all- with traditional dances- apart from one in Scotland.
GRans who live abroad may confirm this- and it is something expats often comment about, not just me.

Gillybob- of course people can choose not to shop on Sundays or middle of the night- the point however is about the workers NOT having the choice to work those hours or not - and needing protection against this- as if they refuse they lose their jobs. Unions in the rest of Europe are much stronger on workers' rights, and I am glad for it. It would be interesting to hear from any GNeter who have worked on Sundays and night-shifts or their close relatives. If it is a true choice, I have no objections- but in most supermarkets it is NO longer a choice and enforced, and people lose their jobs if they refuse.

I only three times went to shop at night- on way back from a long trip, and was amazed to see so many families there with toddlers and young school aged children- in the middle of term! And how many of us have seen kids being dragged around the shops screaming on Sundays- and wishing they could be at the park or having fun outside instead. Again, I love the UK, loved my years there, love to be back- but it does not stop me from seeing that some things are different for the better, and some very much for the worse- and I am very glad we do not have Sunday and night shopping in the rest of Europe- and long may it last. You disagree- and that is fine.

Iam64 Wed 15-Jul-15 08:10:31

Well! Just catching up on this thread and so relieved to see janeainsworth's comments in response to the suggestion that we Brits are always out shopping and that our celebrations (weddings for example) don't feature different generations dancing together. Phew! Do I live in a different country I wonder. It seems whenever we pop out for a pizza to the Italian up the road, or call in at one of the local pubs we bump into other groups of extended families, 3 or 4 generations enjoying time together.

I dislike sweeping generalisations, especially when they diss my much loved and certainly imperfect homeland.

I remain in the camp that would prefer us to have a day a week, or even half a day when the shops were closed. I accept that isn't going to happen and I don't feel we're going to hell in a handcart. smile

gillybob Wed 15-Jul-15 07:38:23

The way I see it is, each to their own. If the shops all open 24/7 it doesn't mean we have to shop does it? Personally I am in the "for" camp as I do sometimes have no alternative but to shop on a Sunday. Not every Sunday mind you, but sometimes. It's not really much different to pub opening times is it? Just because many pubs open all day doesn't mean we have all taken to sitting drinking in them all day does it? There are some people who see shopping as entertainment. There are some who browse the shops just for somewhere to go. I can't see the problem.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 15-Jul-15 07:08:56

Don't blame yer! Why not?

ffinnochio Wed 15-Jul-15 06:23:47

Most shops, restaurants, garden centres, cinemas, pubs and cafés, are not open 24/7..........even in America.

~feeling picky this morning~

Penstemmon Tue 14-Jul-15 22:59:57

Personally I would prefer shops not to be open on a Sunday. We would all get used to it and adjust accordingly. Fridges /freezers make shopping in larger quantities easier. Home delivery (quite eco-friendly if one vehicle carries shopping for several homes) can help those living in more remote areas.

I fully understand the convenience of being able to pop to the shops as a and when 24/7 but I think it is unnecessary and in my mind 'normalises' consumerism and promotes the insidious culture of continuous work. I think extending trading hours further may undermine smaller businesses and shops and may force family businesses to open when they do not want to. Sunday shopping has been a feature for many years so is not a new idea I agree thatbags. I aim to avoid it and did so even when working 11 - 15 hour days 5 days a week with two kids at home.

I agree that part of my opinions are inconsistent because I think it is good that places where people can go for entertainment (cinema/ restaurants/leisure centres etc etc) are open but would strongly support a 6 day opening week for them too so that employees could have two days without having to work. I would also always support good pay and conditions so all workers are not pressured to work at weekends/ unsocial hours unless that is what they truly 'chose' to do.

ffinnochio Tue 14-Jul-15 21:49:57

gj My experience of American families are quite contrary to your view that The American family is very much nuclear these days.

As for excessive consumerism - the UK doesn't seem to do too badly on that front.

granjura Tue 14-Jul-15 19:40:27

Having lived in several locations in the UK, and taught for 25 years in a variety of schools there (all State schools) I beg to differ, having witnessed the scramble for 'better' schools, the lies and fraud even (prententing to be CofE, buying properties in better catchment area and not living there, and more). At the last school where I taught, in a small town, the school population was split into 3- with hardly any contact (bar the odd fight) between them - 1 private Grammar school, 1 Catholic and 1 'so-called' Comprehensive.

If you live in a very rural area- it might be a bit different. But even in rural areas where I lived, many kids were taken to all sorts of private schools- despite the fact we lived in an affluent area with excellent state schools. None of that here, or where I grew up- I am glad to say.

thatbags Tue 14-Jul-15 19:14:59

The "great majority" of British kids go to school together and mix socially too, gj. Like janea, I think you are making unwarranted sweeping generalisations about how other people live.

janeainsworth Tue 14-Jul-15 18:37:25

Well GJ on Saturday night we went out for dinner with DGD, DGS, DS, DDiL, and DDiL's parents.

It is only the fact that we normally live in the UK that this isn't a more frequent occurence. We were not the only extended family in the restaurant by any means.

When DS and DiL got married, as well as numerous relatives on her side, my sister, brother-in law, two nephews, my Sister-in-law, her then husband and son, and 2 first cousins once removed all flew out to the States to be there with us. Other older relatives would have but for illness and infirmity.

I don't think sweeping generalisations, deploring the attitude and values of an entire, very large, country are helpful.

granjura Tue 14-Jul-15 17:38:13

bellanonna, thanks for your contribution. I agree- posts crossed.

granjura Tue 14-Jul-15 17:37:13

Jane- I am perfectly aware of that, thanks wink

Eloethan, I am so glad someone sees and understands what I am trying to say, thanks. Yes, go to a wedding in France or Italy, and see how inter-generational they are- kids dancing with grandma and music chosen for all- lovely. Same here.

thatbags- I've been thinking of my own question and the answer to 'why' is very complex. However, I think it is a sign of a very divided society- where different social 'classes', groups, ethnic groups, are kep quite separate and living very different lives- and were the individuals and families on whom those unsocial working hours are not at all the same as those who have the freedom not to do so, perhaps - and rarely meet apart from at the cash till, the counter or when visiting the loo. Compared to Scandinavian countries, where private schooling is non-existent for the great majority, as here (apart from Geneva and Zurich)- people of different groups grow up together, are educated together and belong to the same clubs together- and the impact of unsocial working practices, be they 0 hour contracts (which are totally illegal in most or all of the rest of Europe) and 27/7 shopping, are discussed and shared- with more empathy for those on whom they would be imposed. Perhaps? Very complex indeed- but I think this is what it boils down too. The American family is very much nuclear these days- whereas in central Europe the extended family still plays a large part.

Bellanonna Tue 14-Jul-15 17:36:38

gj , have always thought b. "Why?" would take too long to answer.
Italians, whose lifestyle I am more familiar with, spend a lot of time with their family, both younger and older generations. Children tend to live at home until they marry, this for cultural,as opposed to financial reasons. Any birthday, baptism, or other celebration includes the wider family. Being more gregarious by nature probably explains this but certainly family life and its importance is paramount as it probably is in countries I know less well.

thatbags Tue 14-Jul-15 16:59:21

And my remaining at home DD does it with me. It's part of her education.

thatbags Tue 14-Jul-15 16:47:18

I guess my relatives and friends and acquaintances in America are unusual then. Funny that.

If you say excessive consumerism to me, I don't think of any of those countries that you offer as options, nor indeed of any countries at all. I think of the excessive consumerism of some human beings all over the world.

Doing some shopping on a Sunday is not necessarily excessive consumerism. It could just be a good day to shop because of one's other commitments, lifestyle and, as I said earlier, distance from the shops. Actually, apart from buying milk from the village shop, most weeks it's the only shopping I do. And that's groceries. Very family unfriendly.

Eloethan Tue 14-Jul-15 16:38:46

I agree with granjura. I don't think "the family" or community life in general is seen as a priority in this country or the USA. I think we very much follow the American model in prioritising the economic environment above all else, although fortunately we are not quite as obsessed with economic output as the USA where I believe an annual leave allowance of two weeks is considered adequate and where most workers are reported as not taking a proper lunch break and more likely to eat at their desks.

We have friends (now in their early 80's) who own a second home in France and have done so for over twenty years. They say that their experience is that in France social occasions have a much more inter-generational feel about them. That is not to say that France is perfect by any means. The popularity of the National Front demonstrates another side of the story.

I don't think the family is valued enough in this country. Many children are bundled off to nursery at a very early age and the idea of a parent staying at home to look after young children is seen as slightly eccentric. If childcare facilities were of the highest standard (as in Scandinavian countries) there may well be an argument that it is beneficial to young children - socially, intellectually and emotionally - to attend nursery at an early age. However, I believe a fairly recent Ofsted report expressed concern at the number of nurseries that were only achieving "satisfactory" or "unsatisfactory" grades.

That is not to say that parents don't care about their families. Many of them would love to spend more time with their children and the wider family but family life appears not to be the priority for this or, to some extent, previous governments. With our excessive housing costs, many families have no option but for both parents to work, and I believe there is also an underlying message that it is not desirable for either parent to stay at home for more than a year or so after the birth of a child.

janeainsworth Tue 14-Jul-15 16:36:08

You're not in school now, Granjura.

granjura Tue 14-Jul-15 16:24:01

1 question, multiple choice answers:

If you hear the words 'excessive consumerism'
which of the following countries first spring to mind

a) Italy

b) the USA

c) France

next question, and vastly more complex

'why'?

granjura Tue 14-Jul-15 15:43:31

that's OK thatbags- I did try to explain I was not talking about individuals, but about society as a whole- making choices that support families or not. I think it would be hard not to agree that excessive consumerism is not something which is more strongly linked to the USA (with the knock on effect) than, say, France or Italy or Skandinavian countries. Would you not agree there? The UK has increasingly moved towards more USA style shopping habits- something which is strongly resisted in other part of Europe- as said, to protect individuals but also families, including exgtended families and traditions linked to such, and as such 'society'.

Whether you believe me, or agree with me, is neither here nor there, and totally your choice.

janeainsworth Tue 14-Jul-15 15:03:19

I'm not a doctor gj.
I do think respect for the family, and family values, is a large part of American culture and values, actually.
Although Sunday trading can make life less pleasant, and even very difficult, for those who have to work when they would rather spend time with their families, it doesn't follow that the family as an institution is necessarily weakened.

granjura Tue 14-Jul-15 14:14:14

If you look at France and Italy for instance, and here where I live- the family is not solely the nuclear family, but really does have the extended family tradition- and Sunday activities shared with several generations of family and friends- be it sport, nature or family meals, etc- which sadly is no longer prevalent to the same extent in the UK (exceptions exist of course)- and which are 'threatened' by imposed long unsociable hours- as said, often on the less well-off families who have little choice.

As a doctor, you are probably well aware of the toll long unsociable hours can have on a family. As said, OH worked 135+ hours when we were first married, and about 90 hours, 1 night in 3 and 1 week-end in 3, later 4- when our children were young. Very hard on all of us- but in his job we knew that was essential. I was totally unable to have any job of my own until the advent of the reliable mobile phone- tied to the phone night and day when he was on call.