Gransnet forums

News & politics

An alternative to food banks?

(112 Posts)
Elegran Wed 08-Jul-15 09:08:28

"In 1917, ministers in Lloyd George's government had agonised over the best way of combating hunger while Germany's U-boats disrupted Britain's food supply.

The government was keen to avoid the stigma of poverty associated with soup kitchen hand-outs . . . . ."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33275833

durhamjen Fri 24-Jul-15 11:01:04

You were asking what the government could do.

www.theguardian.com/society/2013/dec/17/government-under-fire-eu-funding-food-banks

durhamjen Fri 24-Jul-15 10:51:05

www.fareshare.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/FareShare-Resource-Efficiency-Framework.pdf

This is what Fareshare has set up with food manufacturers.
Could you ask them why there is no Fareshare in East Anglia, NFK? After all, you produce a lot of the food in your area.

durhamjen Fri 24-Jul-15 10:45:36

Do you need to get in touch with your local Tesco, NFK?
They have a scheme where they tell the locals what food is going to be thrown out and when.
It's mentioned on the Guardian article above.

durhamjen Fri 24-Jul-15 10:40:33

fareshare.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=c2f3418f2bb81705b675e6cce&id=9ab7a0fa11&e=e95cf3f883

Elegran Fri 24-Jul-15 09:51:18

I should have used a "^" where I used a " . That would have made it my emphasis rather than a quote, changing my post somewhat.

Elegran Fri 24-Jul-15 09:48:50

Yes, of course, " Those who need to use charities or churches to get food are not bothered where it comes from." and they will get it, but those who are not quite at the point of going to a charity to ask for help need it too - in the form of affordable food without the charity stigma - "which still remains in spite of many years of state assistance^

My, durhamjen I don't think I know anyone quite as stubborn as you on insisting that only your own solutions are the right ones. Well, only soontobe, who mirrors you in the religious sphere.

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Jul-15 09:35:24

I hadn't heard of Fairshare before you said. Maybe because it doesn't exist in the Eastern region. It looks like a good idea, but I fear a lot of people won't use it as it's still charity. Have signed the petition for all the good it will do. Rural counties tend to be ignored.

Credit Unions tried to start up here, but with little or no publicity they're failing too.

durhamjen Thu 23-Jul-15 23:45:07

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/104474

A petition about stores being able to give food to charities when it is going to be thrown out. Obviously the person who wrote it has not heard of fareshare, but it's worth signing. Those who need to use charities or churches to get food are not bothered where it comes from.

Elegran Thu 23-Jul-15 10:23:26

Good for fareshare giving help where needed, but the recipients are still receiving charity. The kind of thing NFKD and I are talking about is not charity, it is a way to get cheap good food without being a charity case.

durhamjen Thu 23-Jul-15 10:15:27

www.fareshare.org.uk/17th-june-2015-fareshare-brings-together-food-industry-and-retailers-for-uks-first-ever-surplus-food-summit/

durhamjen Thu 23-Jul-15 10:14:33

Have you looked at your local fareshare Nfk? In the North East it's not food banks. They collect food from supermarkets and manufacturers, and make meals. They give food to local pensioner groups, and do what is felt necessary in your area.

Elegran Thu 23-Jul-15 09:51:51

Full circle. That is what I put in the OP and was blasted for by some people.

Having something in place to ease things a bit before people are reduced to handouts from food banks. Handouts still possible for those who need them - alternative did not mean replacement.

NfkDumpling Thu 23-Jul-15 06:44:19

Not quite DJ, it's a good scheme, but still essentially a food bank. I was thinking more along the lines of the OP in that the government scheme would be open to all - not just the 'Disadvantaged'. The major supermarket chains are nation wide and already have restaurants. The government idea is to start a national restaurant scheme using cheap food, producing very cheap meals for anyone and everyone to avoid stigma. Supermarkets have a lot of sell-by-date food. Put the two together. The meals produced would be plain and nourishing but served somewhere where you could still get the usual supermarket restaurant menu as well. Thus OAPs or families on a tight budget (or even just people who are tight!) but not in the 'Deserving Poor' bracket could eat there without feeling stigmatised.

Probably wouldn't work. No profit in it.

durhamjen Thu 23-Jul-15 00:03:06

NFK, is this what you are thinking about?

www.fareshare.org.uk/

Ana Wed 22-Jul-15 20:31:46

Well, certain things haven't changed, of course...grin

rosequartz Wed 22-Jul-15 20:29:20

I'm sure it has, but thank you anyway! smile

Ana Wed 22-Jul-15 20:12:57

Glad you're (virtually) back rosequartz, it hasn't been the same without you! smile

rosequartz Wed 22-Jul-15 20:08:09

Thank you rosesarered
Virtually back if not actually!!

rosesarered Wed 22-Jul-15 19:47:03

Hi rosequartz welcome back!smile

rosequartz Wed 22-Jul-15 17:55:43

For information:

www.foodbank.org.au/hunger-in-australia/the-facts/

There is also a large number of obese people in Australia.

Anne58 Wed 22-Jul-15 17:36:37

Please forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

The 5 minute programme at 12.00 on Radio 4 (I believe it was called "Home Front") that was on daily (recently stopped until September) was set in WW1 and covered "actual" events on the same date but 100 years ago, covered this topic.

In a recent episode the Town Hall opened as a "restaurant" and attracted so many people from all classes that people were having to wait for a table. I think a significant difference between now and then, was that in those days more people were more or less in the same boat, so were less likely to feel that there was a stigma attached to their situation.

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Jul-15 17:05:29

Since supermarkets are the ones chucking out good food and most already have eateries (hate that word but not sure what to call them), wouldn't it be an idea if they served up sell by date food? They could do it at cost and everyone would win (except the anaerobic digesters). I expect they would need a government subsidy of course and there mightened be much choice - lots of casseroles and banana fritters for example - but it would produce cheap meals with no stigma.

petra Wed 22-Jul-15 16:48:35

In the 50s our local homeless building was called ' The rest centre' never did understand that.

durhamjen Wed 22-Jul-15 13:00:18

So, Gill, what help has this government given to small businesses?

GillT57 Wed 22-Jul-15 12:52:02

It isn't real money, it is a reduction in what I have to pay, but the point am trying to make is that this soon gets swallowed up by SSP which is not re-reimbursed and can easily exceed the amount of NIC reduction. Last year I paid out close on £1300 in SSP, so was left with £700 less if you want to put it that way. I would rather pay employers NIC and be reimbursed for SSP.