Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tim Farron

(13 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 16-Jul-15 17:03:40

I have just been sent an email telling me that Tim Farron is now leader of the Lib Dems - never heard of him! Has anyone else?

Luckygirl Thu 16-Jul-15 17:20:02

Crossed posts Gracesgran.

annodomini Thu 16-Jul-15 17:35:10

MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale and very popular in his constituency. He has been Party President for 5 years. Good luck to him - he will need it.

Iam64 Thu 16-Jul-15 20:35:47

We have friends who live in his constituency. They aren't LibDems but speak very highly of Tim Farron

Jomarie Thu 16-Jul-15 20:49:55

Never heard of him but like his name although, of course, easily subject to obvious abuse! Perhaps he is just what is needed, a new name, new blood, well liked etc. A brave soul - let's see what happens - he might be their saviour. I voted liberal when I was first eligible to vote having been told by my conservative mother and labour father that it was my choice!!!! I'm really hoping there is one person (male or female) who has the vision and the chutzpah to lead this party to a good place. smile hmm

Ana Thu 16-Jul-15 20:54:30

Oh goodness, I must be getting terribly thick in my old(er) age, but how is his name subject to obvious abuse? confused

Jomarie Thu 16-Jul-15 21:50:21

Oh dear - Harry Enfield is to blame really ie "Tim - nice but dim" - ring any bells? Maybe it's just me and my bad TV choices (actually not mine but OH's) - obviously no sport on at that time.......... grin

Ana Thu 16-Jul-15 21:58:10

Oh, yes I do remember 'Tim Nice but Dim' with his wonderful overbite!grin

durhamjen Thu 16-Jul-15 22:08:21

He got a good payrise today for being memorable.

Ana Thu 16-Jul-15 22:50:31

Who, Tim-Nice-but-Dim out of The Harry Enfield Show? grin

varian Fri 17-Jul-15 14:05:04

Tim Farron is anything but dim. He is a brilliant campaigner who has taken on a tough job. Perhaps Lucky hadn't heard of him because the LibDems never get proper coverage in the media in spite of being the fastest growing political party since the disastrous election.

I was keen to know who had won the LibDem leadership but last night had to wait until 20mins into the BBC news before it was mentioned. If a new leader of any other party - Tory, Labour, SNP, or even Ukip had just been elected it would have been announced at the start of the news. The newspapers are even worse, many just ignore the party if they can't find anything negative to report.

durhamjen Fri 17-Jul-15 14:36:54

Lucky, are you not from the north east?

POGS Sun 19-Jul-15 12:05:18

Tim Farron is very often on political programmes and has had a lot of air time since the 2010 election campaign .

He was the Liberal Democrat President after all, naturally he was asked to discuss/debate the Lib Dem position.

Quite surprised he is so unknown to be honest.

I thought the Lib Dems had a huge media coverage whilst debating who to join in a coalition government, Labour or Conservative. Once in coalition government they naturally had an enormous media coverage and Farron was a fairly prolific spokesperson for the Liberal Democrat Party.

Obviously I am not known as a Lib Dem voter but being a political anorak I thought Norman Lamb would have been the better choice of Leader.