Gransnet forums

News & politics

Freedom of Information Act.

(12 Posts)
durhamjen Mon 20-Jul-15 23:04:01

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/government-review-of-foi-criticised-as-a-step-back-that-could-water-down-the-act-10403199.html

durhamjen Mon 20-Jul-15 21:42:40

The government wants to change the FOI act, in its favour, obviously.
At the moment, if you ask your CCG about who owns what in your area under the FOI act, you are usually told they cannot tell you because of commercial confidentiality.
Some MPs wanted to have the NHS being completely open about which private healthcare companies work in which hospitals and surgeries.

Careuk, Virgin and other private healthcare companies are allowed to take over contracts using the NHS logo.

whitewave Mon 20-Jul-15 13:35:49

What do you mean dj? That the NHS is not being included?

durhamjen Mon 20-Jul-15 13:29:32

There was a bill going through parliament last year to ask for the NHS to be included in the FOI act. It got left behind when the election happened, and there is no more bill about the FOI act.

durhamjen Mon 20-Jul-15 13:18:38

This was in the Financial Times.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015/07/20/the-uks-councils-are-creaking-under-the-pressure-of-cuts/

It looks like lots of his support is leaking now.
Just shows how much we need the FOI act.

Anniebach Sun 19-Jul-15 10:20:35

Damn all we can do, this government not only moves the goal posts to suit, they put the posts on wheels

Luckygirl Sun 19-Jul-15 09:02:15

This lot were voted in - we have the government we deserve, as the saying goes. They will pursue their agenda unfettered.

Let us hope that the divided opposition will be able to come together to try and curb the excesses.

vampirequeen Sun 19-Jul-15 08:47:32

It's a way of locking us out of information and not having to make statements to explain what has happened and why.

Jomarie Sat 18-Jul-15 22:51:31

Am I being cynical here but by "setting up a commission" to look into something isn't that a quickfix way to stop anyone accessing any info whilst the commission is looking into something? Commissions can last for a very long time too - or have I just been watching too many re-runs of "Yes Minster"? Re-reading this post sounds a bit like Humphrey grin. I know it isn't funny really durhamjen - sorry.

whitewave Sat 18-Jul-15 22:10:31

We can hopehmm

Wheniwasyourage Sat 18-Jul-15 22:09:19

Doesn't look like a balanced panel to me. Jack Straw in particular is one who could well be scared of FOI requests, seeing he was so closely involved in the Iraq war, and I fear that there are many politicians of all parties who are not terribly keen on letting the rest of us know more than is good for us. What about some representation from other groups, such as Amnesty International, Liberty, and the broadcasters for a start?

durhamjen Sat 18-Jul-15 12:00:32

This could have gone on the end of term report, but it's too important for that.
Having been told that no forces would be involved in Syria, a FOI request has found out that airmen have been sent to the US to go to Syria.

The MPs expenses, Cyril Smith, and lots of other scandals have only been uncovered through FOI requests.

The government has now set up a commission to look into curtailing our access to FOI.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/17/ministers-to-review-freedom-of-information-act

What do you think about this?