Gransnet forums

News & politics

Were you offended?

(610 Posts)
petra Thu 30-Jul-15 20:15:02

When David Cameron used the word 'swarm' in relation the the migrants in Calais.
The media are doing their best to make me think that I should be. I keep thinking about it, and I'm not.

thatbags Sat 15-Aug-15 14:50:20

Are you sure about that, dj. Please could you quote what he actually said about the role of HMS Enterprise.

durhamjen Sat 15-Aug-15 14:29:14

By the way, since HMS Enterprise took over from Bulwark, it has not saved a single migrant. It says it is only there to gather intelligence about people smugglers, not to save migrants, and will only do so if specifically requested.
Cameron is not telling the truth again.

durhamjen Sat 15-Aug-15 14:18:03

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/15/david-cameron-says-migrants-trying-to-break-in-to-uk-illegally

He is defending his use of the word.

Leticia Sat 08-Aug-15 08:41:20

He said that we have absolutely no idea what it is like to live in fear of real violence.

soontobe Sat 08-Aug-15 08:29:54

I was trying to think of any better country, and I couldnt.

Leticia Sat 08-Aug-15 08:02:52

I still think we are a highly desirable country. My son's friend , who now lives in UK , says that we just don't appreciate how lucky we are.

durhamjen Sat 08-Aug-15 00:06:43

I'm surprised that anyone wants to come here.

www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/latest/news/4393_government_consults_on_plans_set_to_leave_families_on_the_streets

Of course, they will not know about this.
A consultation which ends on 9th September, when Parliament is still on holiday.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 06-Aug-15 22:24:28

Jesus Christ? confused

(I'm not following this thread)

Ana Thu 06-Aug-15 22:22:27

Or rather, what does he propose as the solution to the problem?

Ana Thu 06-Aug-15 22:19:07

What does JC say about the Calais crisis?

durhamjen Thu 06-Aug-15 21:59:57

More than 2000 people have died crossing the Mediterranean this year.
The swarms of people at Calais number about 4000.
Perspective?

Maggiemaybe Thu 06-Aug-15 21:50:37

Ditto. But DH's only brother has none, his mum's only brother had none, his dad's four sisters had just two between them. I'm starting to think we should have had more to replenish the stock.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 06-Aug-15 20:10:19

I have got three children. Thank the Lord.

rosequartz Thu 06-Aug-15 20:08:11

If it was more than two, then our generation overpopulated the country.
Guilty as charged, but one has emigrated and another wishes to do so, so our family is trying to do its bit.
The one still here has two children.

soontobe Thu 06-Aug-15 19:24:32

If someone in life chooses to carry on using a word or phrase, that others think sounds offensive, then people makes opinions about that person.
I presume though and also, that they are not in the least bit bothered.

durhamjen Thu 06-Aug-15 19:13:27

"much of our problems are not these African migrants but the huge numbers of EU citizens who legally reside in UK and are eleiglbe for the same benefits as UK citizens. "

I know this is just one sentence, Bez, but it certainly sounds like you are blaming citizens from the EU who come here and are eligible for benefits. My grandson's mother has shown me a letter today to say that she can no longer have any tax credits. However, they do get DLA for my grandson. She pays tax and NI, too, but definitely benefits from the system.

Ana Thu 06-Aug-15 19:00:21

For those who are determined to be offended, there is no answer or explanation which will suffice.

FarNorth Thu 06-Aug-15 18:57:37

I expect that's what DC meant.

Aprilshowers48 Thu 06-Aug-15 14:46:12

Not offensive to me as a beekeeper. A swarm of bees is hardworking, clean, caring, mostly friendly and simply looking for a new place to live. There are far worse things to be called than that.

rosesarered Wed 05-Aug-15 19:14:27

Good post Bez.

petra Wed 05-Aug-15 18:56:05

Elegran. Exactly! Keep it simple. Oh, but wait a moment, not enough people will earn oodles of money out of it.
Note to self. Stop being such a cynic.

Iam64 Wed 05-Aug-15 18:54:22

This is slightly off OP but I hope relevant to the rather critical post about those of us who have over populated the planet.

I confess to having had three children, one of whom was unplanned. We were using every kind of contraception known to person kind, we're not unemployed or uneducated and we certainly aren't toffs but there we go, we had an unplanned pregnancy. I was 37 years old so ought to have known better, I thought I did and can well remember waking at 3am and suddenly knowing the reason I'd felt so tired recently was because I could be pregnant, I'd missed a period. I'd also drunk a glass of whiskey on arrival at my parent's in laws home earlier that evening - so had that huge guilt to deal with as well. The baby will be 29 very soon, is much loved and brought a huge amount of joy with her, so we've absolutely no regrets about over populating this small island. She is a primary school teacher, seems to love the children and they seem to enjoy her so hopefully she's a contributing member of this land.

I'm one of three, my youngest sister was mum and dad's surprise baby when mum was 38. Evidently mum, like me, was shocked and unnerved but got on with it. My sister has been an absolute joy since the day she arrived, she's 58 now. She hasn't been blessed with children, so balances out our family in the way Elegran describes above.

I've just heard on the news that another boat has sunk off Libya with a large loss of life. I heard a truck driver on radio 2 earlier expressing frustration at the £2000 fine he's been given after a couple of men were found in the trunk of his coach. They'd forced the padlock off and hidden in there whilst he was distracted by their pals at the front of the coach. What a mess it all is. Why can't the EU get its act together, have its various governments work together to assess people as they arrive, wherever they arrive. Some of the would be migrants will be genuine asylum seekers, others won't - let's work cooperatively to sort this out. Apologies for long post and posting on separate topics.

Elegran Wed 05-Aug-15 17:58:19

The EU could have a standard questionnaire for those wanting to enter, including a list of the skills and qualifications of applicants.

Bez Wed 05-Aug-15 17:34:25

Jen that is not what I said - I said it was more complicated than just these poor migrants wanting to get to UK - the UK has/is taking a lot of flak over the numbers of migrants and refugees but a goodly number of EU citizens have settled in UK for a variety of reasons and it is far from being the largest EU land mass. There is at the moment not enough infrastructure in housing, schools, hospital etc to deal with the extra numbers. The EU and indeed the world does need to help - the UK is one of the first nations to give aid to any area of the world in need for any reason - and when they wish to stem the flow a tad all they get is flak from all sides. If these people can have their status cleared before they leave mainland Europe that would solve much of the clogging up of the system when they get Across the channel. They could also be told what they are actually entitled to and also things such as the practicalities of living in a cold wet climate.
The residents of Calais need help with the numbers and the EU should be there with assistance for any member state when help is needed.

Elegran Wed 05-Aug-15 15:58:23

Well, you are not going to hear about those whose families have no need of outside help, are you? You are going to hear about the occasional large family who do need outside help, and then those who have limited their family exactly because they didn't want ever to get into that position, so stuck to the "How many can I raise?" are going to be peeved to hear about them.

Those whose situation has changed once their children have arrived are in a different category to those who knew from the start that they were not going to be able to afford to try to raise a cricket team (or even a chamber quartet) but loved children, so went ahead anyway "The Lord will provide" and if he doesn't come across, the taxpayers will.