Gransnet forums

News & politics

Fracking or wind farms

(48 Posts)
Nandalot Mon 03-Aug-15 19:56:10

If you had to have one of these close to you which would you choose, a fracking site or a wind farm?

I would prefer the wind farm. I feel that fracking has potential side effects which have not yet been explored thoroughly enough and which could have far reaching consequences such as pollution of water courses. Also it is still a fossil fuel, a finite resource , albeit supposedly plentiful, but which could still be harmful to the atmosphere. Other countries, such as Germany and Denmark obtain a significant percentage of their energy needs through renewables.

I feel disappointed that the government seems intent on exploring fracking, rather than renewables, suggesting that half the country could be explored for this fuel and simplifying the procedure. Indeed, the energy minister, Matthew Hancock, has stated that companies could be drilling six months after putting in for the licence to drill.

Over to you, wind farm or fracking?

durhamjen Fri 04-Mar-16 20:18:57

tompride.wordpress.com/2016/03/03/locals-in-tory-constituency-offered-180-bribes-of-taxpayers-money-to-support-fracking/

Should taxpayers money be used this way?
I pay tax. I do not think so.

Anya Wed 28-Oct-15 00:03:23

Wind farms.

durhamjen Tue 27-Oct-15 23:16:48

The fracking bill is going through at the moment.

www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/27/ministers-accused-of-trying-to-sneak-through-new-fracking-rules

Another where MPs are not going to be able to discuss it.

Ana Wed 19-Aug-15 19:31:20

Yes, very clever! smile

durhamjen Wed 19-Aug-15 19:01:24

I have a feeling that they have avoided Osborne's constituency in the North West, too. That was clever, considering it was in the middle of the fracking field originally.

Ana Wed 19-Aug-15 18:59:03

Don't worry, St J will sort things out when he's in charge of everything...

Ana Wed 19-Aug-15 18:57:44

Didn't work then, did it?

durhamjen Wed 19-Aug-15 18:55:12

When the fracking map first came up, some people were not so concerned because it looked like we were all in it together. I think there was a petition telling Cameron to do it first in his constituency, just to show us it was okay.

Nandalot Wed 19-Aug-15 18:49:53

So what's new?

durhamjen Wed 19-Aug-15 18:28:41

Someone else has noticed that it's all up North.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-accused-of-protecting-toryvoting-south-as-every-one-of-the-27-newlyawarded-fracking-sites-is-in-the-north-and-midlands-10461331.html?origin=internalSearch

durhamjen Tue 18-Aug-15 17:48:31

I would think that when a wind turbine stops working, it could be replaced with a more efficient one. After all the infrastructure is there, and the neighbours have got used to it by then.

How long have we had wind turbines in this country?

Bez Tue 18-Aug-15 17:45:35

When we are an island criss crossed with rivers And surrounded by sea I cannot understand why more money isn't spent harnessing that energy to produce electricity - a wind turbine has a life of about 25 years and the companies putting them in has no obligation to return the countryside back to what it was when the turbines stop working. The farmers who allow them on their land get well paid so I can Understand them agreeing to the companies using their land.
Solar energy is efficient and now with Tesla batteries will store the electricity and so make it even more efficient. I was pleased to see that there are some solar farms appearing next to the M4.

durhamjen Tue 18-Aug-15 17:26:32

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/104617

This could do with a few more signatures, for anyone interested.

durhamjen Tue 18-Aug-15 17:25:26

I did hear that there were not enough grouse this year so lots of shoots have been called off. Good.
Maybe they will have more time now to oppose fracking, and stop their enjoyment being curtailed.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 18-Aug-15 17:15:07

Well, maybe we've found a use for grouse shooters now. They can lobby against having their leisure activities curtailed by fracking. That'll confuse them all - do you want to be a shooting toff or a beneficiary of an oil company? You couldn't make it up, could you?

durhamjen Tue 18-Aug-15 17:07:36

www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/aug/18/1000-sq-miles-england-opened-up-fracking-new-round-licences

Very nice of him. He doesn't like Yorkshire, does he? Just about the whole of the North York Moors and the Wolds to be fracked.
The North York Moors is the largest area of grousemoor in England, all heather and looking fantastic this time of year.

durhamjen Thu 13-Aug-15 11:04:45

Just what many expected, Nandalot. Fortunately councillors do not take the long holidays that MPs do.

Nandalot Thu 13-Aug-15 09:37:07

So the government is going to fast track fracking applications. 16weeks. If councils delay, the government will step in. So much for letting local people decide and reducing central government power.

durhamjen Fri 07-Aug-15 20:52:27

An interesting article from the US showing that wind energy is now producing more than fracking.

www.newscientist.com/article/dn27361-wind-energy-blows-us-emissions-onto-right-track-for-2025-target/

janerowena Fri 07-Aug-15 13:44:41

I was, but they are getting desperate.

Nandalot Fri 07-Aug-15 12:46:48

Thank you Durhamjen for link to Durham University article. I wasn't aware of short life span of the shale wells.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 05-Aug-15 10:09:56

Wind farm every time. We need to leave most of the fossil fuel in the ground now and put more of our money and effort into renewables. That doesn't mean just wind power, it means spending more on wave and tidal power; with the Pentland Firth and the Severn Estuary alone we could probably power most of the UK! One of the things we need to sort out is the fact that it costs more (in charges, not just because of the laws of physics) to bring electricity from where it can be produced most easily, in the far north and west, to where it is needed most, further south.

We are now dependent on electricity for our way of life, and if we want to keep that way of life, we need to find more efficient ways of producing and using electricity. Granjura is quite right about the wasteful way shops alone use their heating /cooling systems, and that is just one instance.

As for the look of wind farms and solar panels, it is worth remembering that when our children were young, it was mobile phone masts which people were objecting to. When I was a child, I remember protests about the look of pylons. When my mother was young, it was the planting of Forestry Commission trees over the tops of hill, thus altering the skyline. Tout ça change...

durhamjen Wed 05-Aug-15 00:51:59

In 2014 almost 20% of electricity in the UK came from renewables. I find that quite heartening considering the opposition to it.

durhamjen Wed 05-Aug-15 00:45:14

An interesting article about fracking from Durham University.

www.dur.ac.uk/research/news/item/?itemno=25187

The wells would only last up to ten years. So how would that be economically viable?

durhamjen Wed 05-Aug-15 00:35:19

What do you think of this? A nice bit of blackmail.

www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/aug/04/coal-company-threatens-to-sue-welsh-borough-if-mine-permit-is-denied