Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dr Kelsey - the woman who saved the world from thalidomide

(19 Posts)
Grannyknot Sun 09-Aug-15 08:34:15

...has died at age 101. Interesting article:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/08/science/frances-oldham-kelsey-fda-doctor-who-exposed-danger-of-thalidomide-dies-at-101.html?referrer=

Grannyknot Sun 09-Aug-15 08:39:02

mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/08/science/frances-oldham-kelsey-fda-doctor-who-exposed-danger-of-thalidomide-dies-at-101.html?referrer=

(I don't think the above link works, hope this one is blue)!

ninathenana Sun 09-Aug-15 08:39:53

That's a grand age.

The link doesn't work BTW

ninathenana Sun 09-Aug-15 08:40:22

Crossed posts smile

soontobe Sun 09-Aug-15 08:40:34

The link hasnt come through properly for me.

The woman saved me from thalidomide.
My aunt was trying to persuade my mum to take it. I cant remember what for. Morning sickness?
Fortunately mum didnt because of this woman.
My aunt ended up having a miscarriage.

soontobe Sun 09-Aug-15 08:41:13

Link ok now.

soontobe Sun 09-Aug-15 08:44:24

She did wonderful work.

Luckygirl Sun 09-Aug-15 08:46:57

Good for her - she took on the might of the drug companies.

Alea Sun 09-Aug-15 09:04:05

Morning sickness, soontobe, a bit of a "wonder" drug at the time.

janeainsworth Sun 09-Aug-15 09:04:05

Thank you for the link gk.
We should be grateful for those who are prepared to stand up to vested interests and go against the flow. What a brave woman.
Her legacy will have been not just to have prevented more thalidomide births, but perhaps by encouraging others to question evidence, prevent more, similar tragedies.

soontobe Sun 09-Aug-15 09:11:18

Absolutely janeainsworth. Going against the flow is not easy. I wish many more people would do it.

soontobe Sun 09-Aug-15 09:14:10

It sounds like the drug had a licence in the UK before it had a licence in the USA.
It was readily available in the UK I presume, Alea? Pretty sure mum could just have got it from her GP.

Indinana Sun 09-Aug-15 09:37:30

How tragic that this drug didn't come to her attention before it was in such wide use in Europe. She was indeed a wonderful woman, prepared to stand up to the mighty pharmaceutical companies for no personal gain.

Alea Sun 09-Aug-15 09:47:19

Absolutely, Soontobe, very commonly used. If you look at how some women suffer from crippling 24/7 "morning" sickness (e.g. Kate Cambridge) it was heralded as something which made life bearable and clearly not every user had a baby with birth defects.

Maggiemaybe Sun 09-Aug-15 09:50:23

Apparently in the 1930s, when she still lived in Canada, she was offered a job at the University of Chicago after a written application only because they assumed, from her name, that she was a man. How very fortuitous that someone didn't know the Frances/Lesley rule - e for 'er and i for 'im!

ninathenana Sun 09-Aug-15 10:48:18

Not heard that rule Maggie I shall remember that.

durhamjen Sun 09-Aug-15 11:44:14

Lucky for the US.
My mother was given thalidomide for morning sickness when she was expecting my sister. It did not make any difference to the morning sickness, just made her feel more tired, so she stopped taking it.
My sister was lucky as well.

harrigran Sun 09-Aug-15 12:40:18

When DD was born the midwife asked if I had taken drugs for sickness and sent me into a panic because I did not really see my DD before they rushed her away to a nursery. I asked the midwife why she wanted to know and was there a problem but she said she just wanted to complete her notes. I had been given drugs for sickness because I was unable to work as a nurse with day long nausea and vomiting. DD was absolutely fine but the midwife made no attempt to reassure me and they did not bring my baby back for another 24 hours.
Thalidomide may have been terrible for expectant mums but was effective in the treatment of leprosy and is used in some cancer treatments.

merlotgran Sun 09-Aug-15 12:54:46

I thank my lucky stars I was pregnant at the end of the sixties and not the fifties. I suffered from terrible morning, noon and night sickness for five months and had to be admitted to hospital twice with dehydration. I would gladly have taken thalidomide had it been on offer.