Gransnet forums

News & politics

Marmite wine anyone?

(9 Posts)
Elegran Sun 09-Aug-15 10:50:10

Apparently the Australian authorities are considering limiting sales of Vegemite because some people in remote communities have been using it to make alcohol (it contains a lot of brewers yeast)
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-33839742

ninathenana Sun 09-Aug-15 10:56:36

grin grin
Love marmite and wine but.............

Incidentally I've heard vegemite and marmite taste very different.

hildajenniJ Sun 09-Aug-15 10:56:42

It sounds horrible. I don't think I'll be trying it!confused

Ana Sun 09-Aug-15 11:04:29

I don't suppose the people concerned are bothered what it tastes like, as long as it's intoxicating...sad

There does seem to be a big problem in some Aboriginal communities with alcohol addiction, and it's debatable whether a ban really works in the long-run.

Elegran Sun 09-Aug-15 11:06:17

You can make alcohol out of almost anything. Fruit ferments into wine by means of natural yeasts on the skin. Will they also limit the sales of fruit?

Teetime Sun 09-Aug-15 12:28:14

Oh yuk even worse than seeing DH smear marmite on fruit muffins at breakfast!! shock

ninathenana Sun 09-Aug-15 13:08:24

shock no accounting for taste Teetime

NfkDumpling Sun 09-Aug-15 13:41:08

Vegemite is horrible. It's probably the best thing to do with it other than using it as a compost activator.

Marmite on the other hand is perfect just as it is. No need to desecrate it.

Indinana Sun 09-Aug-15 14:06:13

Sounds absolutely disgusting! There aren't many things that I intensely dislike, but Marmite and peanut butter have been lifelong no-nos for me. I remember being at a friend's house one summer when I was about 11 - several friends having a picnic on the lawn under the apple trees. A check tablecloth was spread out and plates of dainty crustless sandwiches were brought out, with buttered scones and jugs of homemade lemonade. Sounds idyllic, doesn't it?
Until I bit into a cucumber sandwich and found it included Marmite shock. I was too well brought up to make a fuss so I managed to swallow that mouthful somehow and, when no-one was looking, I slipped the remainder of the sandwich into my pocket for later disposal grin