Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Conservative Conference

(207 Posts)
Gracesgran Sat 03-Oct-15 20:48:49

Has anything happened yet? It seems strangely silent.

durhamjen Fri 09-Oct-15 23:52:26

www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/caroline-molloy/nhs-winter-is-coming-whats-one-thing-all-progressive-politicians-must-do-to-s

Get your MP to sign up to this if s/he hasn't done so already.
I wonder how many Tory MPs are worried after today's news on the NHS.

Gracesgran Fri 09-Oct-15 23:26:40

POGS there is also an article here

It is still not giving a lot of detail. I found it took a while to load but it is not behind their subscription wall.

durhamjen Fri 09-Oct-15 22:51:20

Perhaps that's all there is to it, then, POGS. No structure yet. It asks for people to join and say how involved they want to be. Corbyn's democracy in action.

soontobe Fri 09-Oct-15 16:51:17

grumppa grin

POGS Fri 09-Oct-15 12:17:32

Durhamjen

I have looked at the website and others but it does not give much detail and certainly not 'who' or 'what' is 'heading it up'.

It gives 'the vision' of Momentum but not the structure, as far as I can see and I am interested to know.

I will not however be demanding you give me an answer , that is aggressive behaviour. I just thought as it is another party you are promoting you must have the knowledge.

I do not join nor belong to any party / group it is not something I do, fair play to those who do.

durhamjen Fri 09-Oct-15 11:56:33

Why is it that if we lie to the government, about taxes, etc., it's considered a crime, but if they lie to us it's just politics?

durhamjen Fri 09-Oct-15 11:46:46

commonspace.scot/articles/2629/james-mcenaney-an-open-letter-to-iain-duncan-smith-meet-michael-my-brother

Another bad thing.

durhamjen Fri 09-Oct-15 11:41:24

Here's one of the bad things the Tories do.

www.westbriton.co.uk/Man-speaks-job-centre-row/story-27930132-detail/story.html

Still can't think of a good thing, sorry.

durhamjen Fri 09-Oct-15 11:27:48

All the information about Momentum is on their website, POGS. If you join, you can help to shape its future.
Somehow I do not think you will.

nightowl Fri 09-Oct-15 11:18:02

Why on earth would anyone think that either: all families must comprise a homogenous group of members with identical or almost identical political views or: family members of those with left leaning views are too terrified/ careful to open their mouths to challenge those views. My own family has members with a very wide range of opinions and we enjoy some lively discussions and also, dare I say, enjoy taking the piss out of each other. We are adults, we care about one another, and we are able to defend our views and agree to disagree.

Nor do I see any lack of people on here willing to challenge the Corbynites or others. Although I am still waiting for someone - anyone - to answer Luckygirl's question about the good things the present or previous government did to help the poor, disabled, disadvantaged etc etc.

POGS Fri 09-Oct-15 11:04:56

Momentum.

I think it will be interesting to see how this develops.

I think it is 'the bringing together' of far left groups .

It will either 'unite/amalgamate' the fringe groups such as the Communist Party (whoops said it) , People's Assembly Against Austerity , The Greens, Unions etc. Or it will run on it's own merit, time will tell.

I am interested to know who is 'heading it up'. Corbyn and McDonnell have given it their blessing so to speak but I wonder how this will sit with some fellow MP's.

Do you know Durhamjen who the main leaders are, as I said interested to know.

Ana Fri 09-Oct-15 10:51:34

Exactly, sunseeker. Any relatives or acquaintances of a different political persuasion to the Corbynites have probably learnt to keep their mouths firmly shut!

It'll have settled down well before the next general election anyway, so just as many may have left the Labour Party by then - who knows?

sunseeker Fri 09-Oct-15 10:44:01

The JC fans posting on here are stating that many of their family and friends have now joined the Labour Party and I certainly don't disbelieve them, however, it does strike me that they are unlikely to be on particularly friendly terms with those whose leanings are towards the Conservative Party or UKIP.

I am sure someone will be able to post a link to prove the thousands who are now joining the Labour Party and again I don't disbelieve it, but there are many many thousands who are not members of any political party. I don't know any of my family or friends who have joined Labour, in fact a friend I spoke to yesterday has decided to join the Conservatives and she is an official in a teachers union.

Elegran Fri 09-Oct-15 10:01:34

Tut, tut, Grumpa

grumppa Fri 09-Oct-15 09:52:31

I should have known my flippancy would get me into trouble, dj and ww. It just seemed to me that by declaring its independence Momentum was deliberately putting itself in the position of being able to ignore or/and disown the LP leadership, which is actually led by JC. Or is he regarded as somehow above or detached from the leadership of the party of which he is leader. Did I miss JC rising on the third day (sorry, Soon!)?

whitewave Fri 09-Oct-15 09:22:20

Well the establishment is in my opinion a group of people held together by shared economic interests and common ideas. I think particularly the idea that those at the top deserve to be where they are and really deserve ever more power and wealth. The main problem with this group as far as I am concerned is that often this power is unaccountable and therefore threatens democracy.

I could go on and on but will stop theresmile

soontobe Fri 09-Oct-15 08:18:59

Who do you call the establishment whitewave?
Do you mean business, royalty? Who?

whitewave Fri 09-Oct-15 08:14:55

Yes iam that is exactly what I am finding with friends and family, they are all delighted and at the same time fearful because of the enormous and constant drip drip opposition from the establishment.
I am astounded at those people who have become members - people who have never been members of any political party before.

soontobe Fri 09-Oct-15 08:11:31

Sorry, my second post wasnt to you or anyone in particular, though reading it now, it certainly looks as if it was asked to you.
It was in response to djs post of 23.17pm, her quote.

Iam64 Fri 09-Oct-15 08:06:22

My scientific study won't answer that question soontobe but my impression is that no, my dog walking and shopping community who weren't pleased that JC won the leadership have the impression that he reflects a Labour party who will prioritise the needs of immigrants and benefit claimants over the needs of the majority. More politically active and aware friends/family are almost universally delighted that JC is Labour leader because he has remained true to Labour values throughout his life and career. This government is doing untold damage to the poor and vulnerable and JC is seen as a leader who will say that loud and clear.

Your other point about his influence likely to wane fast- how do you reach that conclusion. Are you suggesting that the support for him may diminish if he's seen as 'stopgap'. I don't believe he is seen as a stopgap. His majority is huge

soontobe Fri 09-Oct-15 07:57:45

Different point. If JC is seen as a stopgap, his influence such as it is will likely wane fast.

soontobe Fri 09-Oct-15 07:56:17

Iam64, in the NW, is JC seen as London centric and out of touch?

Iam64 Fri 09-Oct-15 07:52:00

Well, I hope you're right durhamjen but my very non scientific 'research, based on chatting with folks at the supermarket, in the town centre and other dog walkers in the countryside round here tend to suggest that Jeremy isn't seen as someone who will speak for them. Immigration is a big issue locally and seen as the root over the shortage of social housing, overcrowding in schools, pressure on the nhs etc by the anti Corbyn people I talk to.
The other side of this is that my group of friends and most of my family are delighted. Three relatives have re-joined the Labour party, two in order to vote for him as leader and one because he won.

The tory party conference - lots of people I know went along to various protests. As I've already said, GMP praised the behaviour of the protesters, unlike the Sun smile

durhamjen Thu 08-Oct-15 23:19:38

Iam, I took it to mean that they had moved to Ukip before the election, but are moving back now. Have been known to be wrong before.

durhamjen Thu 08-Oct-15 23:17:32

"Momentum is the successor entity to the Jeremy Corbyn for Labour Leader campaign but it is independent of the Labour Party's leadership. It will work with everyone who supports Jeremy's aim of creating a more fair, equal and democratic society."

Do read it properly, Grumppa. That does not look as though they have dumped him.