Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn declines to meet the Queen.

(242 Posts)
rosesarered Thu 08-Oct-15 09:35:15

just heard that Corbyn declined to meet the Queen and join the Privy Council.He will be the first Leader of the Opposition to do this, or the first Leader of the Government come to that.Interesting!
Another thing that won't sit well with the voting public, along with not singing the National Anthem ( but lustily singing the red flag song.)
He is keeping to his principles ( as a back bencher) but this can't end well for a would be Leader.

durhamjen Tue 27-Oct-15 10:57:13

I think you'll find he has already met her. Old news.

LuckyDucky Tue 27-Oct-15 10:43:23

If JC were to be PM, lol, he'd have to meet the Queen. If that numpty refused, it would it provoke serious constitutional problems?

I find some of JC's ideas unpalatable. You don't throw your stick away when confronted by bullies.

If we had a less punitive Tory government JC wouldn't have risen to sit
on the front bench.hmm

Anniebach Sun 11-Oct-15 18:51:27

True, and suffered a stroke which the press repressed

Ana Sun 11-Oct-15 18:44:28

He did seem to require quite a lot of liquid fortification though, by all accounts!

Anniebach Sun 11-Oct-15 18:42:04

Churchill led this country through the war when older and was leader of the opposition until aged 77

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 18:36:08

Maybe a wee dram or two in Scotland will revive him.

LullyDully Sun 11-Oct-15 18:02:58

I suppose as he is getting on a bit, he will get tired.

His role is hardly a part time one leading to retirement.

All a bit late for him but he looks chipper so we will have to see.

He seems to me more of a catylist than the next PM

Ana Sun 11-Oct-15 18:01:24

I wondered when someone would bring that up! grin

Anniebach Sun 11-Oct-15 17:57:36

Don't think his age means he needs a holiday, Cameron took three during the summer break

rosequartz Sun 11-Oct-15 16:55:58

He is getting on a bit, he was probably worn out poor chap.
And a walking holiday would give him an opportunity to have a good think.

Anniebach Sun 11-Oct-15 12:28:43

Parliament was closed, labour conference over , a good time surely . He had to work through the summer, then the leader election, then selecting a shadow cabinet, then party conference. Nothing odd about a few days holiday, just nit picking now

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 12:19:10

.... For a politician, we mean.Yes, a lovely time of year, but not if you are the leader of a political party, new to the job.

Anniebach Sun 11-Oct-15 12:14:52

Why not a holiday? Why is it a strange time to holiday ? We have people take walking holidays here through the year . I spent a two week walking holiday in Yorkshire in October , strange ? No, a lovely time of year for walking holidays . Just remembered had a two week holiday in Paris in October too.

Ana Sun 11-Oct-15 12:05:46

A rest? He's hardly got going yet...

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 12:03:59

Really? A strange time to take a holiday I would have thought.

LullyDully Sun 11-Oct-15 12:02:26

So on holiday walking in Scotland having a well earned rest. Good for him.

micmc47 Sun 11-Oct-15 11:59:45

Let's be honest, folks, JC is the best thing to happen to the Conservative party for years. They'll be laughing all the way to the polls. Even the Liberals may benefit.... or anyone. SNP will also be very happy, as he has certainly torpedoed any chance of a Labour revival there.

thatbags Sun 11-Oct-15 11:48:31

I've never had the impression that the newspaper voice of the left-wing press is quieter, or has less to say (often saying it very well) than that of the right-wing. Percentage isn't everything but, if more people buy/read 'right-wing' papers, why is that? Is it because their arguments are more convincing? because they are cheaper? because they have more in them to appeal to more people? If people didn't like the papers they wouldn't buy them.

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 11:46:36

And does this bother anyone? If it ever prevented Labour getting into power it may matter, but it never has.If you vote Conservative, and you buy a newspaper, you will go for The Times or another, if a Labour supporter you will read The Observer or another.Some, me included, don't buy a paper at all.

Anniebach Sun 11-Oct-15 11:22:02

The Observer is a Sunday paper, so daily papers which are left wing is daily mirror and to the left the Guardian

Independent is liberal

Sunday news papers Sunday Mirror -if there is one- and Observer

Daily papers right wing

Telegraph, Times, Daily Mail, Daily Express, Sun,

Sunday newspapers right wing

Sunday Telegraph, Mail, Express , Sun, Times

One Sunday newspaper to the left and five which are right wing

Daily papers left two, daily papers right wing five

Fair to say we have a right wing press

POGS Sun 11-Oct-15 11:19:25

I think papers obviously have a left/right of politics nature.

However what seems to evade those who like to name a paper to try and discredit it forget , or choose to have amnesia, some papers do 'have a go' at their so called favoured party.

I know the Daily Mail does consistently disagree or put forward articles that challenge both Labour and Tory policies, politicians etc. how ever I know it is a right wing paper. I call that healthy.

We are lucky to be able to read papers of our choosing and it is sensible to understand they are not bibles. We are fortunate they are not state controlled and I hope that remains the case.

TerriBull Sun 11-Oct-15 10:24:56

I think there are a number of papers with a left wing stance, The Guardian, The Observer, The Independent, The Mirror and the on line Huffington Post. On the right The Times, The Telegraph, DM, DE, The Sun.

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 10:19:41

You know that competition that newspapers used to have ( a long, long time ago) you had to go up to someone, usually at the seaside, and say " you are
Blah-Blah and I claim my £10!" Well, if they did this with Corbyn in Britain,
Just in my small Close alone there are three lookalikes.grin

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 10:12:41

Annie, I believe there are some left wing papers,The Observer, The Guardian, which seems to have become left wing, it used to be Liberal, Independent,The Daily Mirror.Maybe more, other people will know.

rosesarered Sun 11-Oct-15 10:10:01

There was a suggestion on tv this morning, that Corbyn is on a walking holiday in Scotland, who knows where he is? Any sightings by Scottish Gransnetters, he was pictured stood outside a pub there.