Gransnet forums

News & politics

The police want to see your entire internet history

(70 Posts)
Grannyknot Fri 30-Oct-15 21:15:12

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/police-to-be-given-powers-to-view-everyones-entire-internet-history-a6714581.html

Following me on GN will keep them enthralled for hours grin

RAF Mon 09-Nov-15 11:33:43

Readers might be interested in the Privacy International blogs, such as

www.privacyinternational.org/node/668

Do click on the 'Read more' button, but also see what use the Uganda Government make of snooping software, and think what use ISIL would make of a massive UK database on the whole population, where even encryption keys are available for supposedly secret data such as banking and health records.

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/investigatory-powers-bill-could-allow-government-to-ban-end-to-end-encryption-technology-powering-a6725311.html

You can do something about it. You can email your MP!

www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

thatbags Wed 04-Nov-15 07:08:35

If you wish to deny that fact, that's up to you, but it doesn't make the fact any less true.

thatbags Wed 04-Nov-15 07:07:18

I'm not debating, soon, but stating a fact. Some animals are human beings. Human beings are a species of animal.

absent Wed 04-Nov-15 00:42:34

Information, in itself, is not valuable in the prevention of crime or terrorism. It is the accurate analysis of that information that is the key. Accumulating and storing increasingly large amounts of raw data without the ability to analyse such a huge quantity is a completely pointless and unnecessary costly process. It would be rather like every airport passenger having to have their shoes examined although there has only been one – unsuccessful – shoe bomber, yet millions travel by air every day. In other words, it is designed to look as if the powers that be have everything under control.

absent Wed 04-Nov-15 00:36:23

If you're not an animal but still a living thing, then perhaps you're a plant.

durhamjen Tue 03-Nov-15 22:28:07

Do you not know anything about biology, soon? I think if you look it up in your dictionary, you will find you are.

soontobe Tue 03-Nov-15 22:03:44

I am not going to debate something that is obvious. No person is an animal.

Ana Tue 03-Nov-15 21:32:02

(not about being an animal - yes of course we all are! Unless you are an other-worldly being, soontobe...)

Ana Tue 03-Nov-15 21:30:24

More scaremongering.

thatbags Tue 03-Nov-15 21:29:18

Excuse me, soon, but you are an animal. So am I. So are we all.

thatbags Tue 03-Nov-15 21:28:24

They can't. And I don't believe they do want to see my internet history.

They might want to if I was charge with a crime. Even so they would have to get permissiion to do so, as I understand it.

durhamjen Tue 03-Nov-15 21:25:36

What I do not understand is how the police can do all this extra work when the numbers are being reduced by up to 22,000 by the Home Office. There was a report about how much crime is not being investigated, car theft, burglary, shoplifting, etc., because of the previous reductions.

soontobe Tue 03-Nov-15 21:18:36

No I am not an animal confused confused

durhamjen Tue 03-Nov-15 21:10:57

Are you not an animal, soon?
There are lots of things I do not want this government to do, but they still do them. I have no faith in our ability to stop them.
RAF works in health infomatics. I have signed every form I can find to stop the NHS selling off information, and they are still trying to get things through, so that we have to opt out, except that they will sell the info first, then say they are sorry, they made a mistake. I think that has already happened with some medical records.

Children in schools will be more accepting when they grow up. Many of them already have fingerprint scanning for school meals.

rosesarered Tue 03-Nov-15 20:47:52

grin and those words make all the difference.

soontobe Tue 03-Nov-15 17:35:14

In the not too distant future it won't be sewn to your clothing, but downloaded to the microchip inserted at birth under your skin, containing all your medical, personal, employment and financial hsitory. The technology is already available, just awaiting acceptance by future generations. Scanners will read and track where you go, and no-one will think anything of it. But I couldn't live like that, and if makiing a fuss can delay it a bit, I'm all for protestiing!

Having read the wiki link, that still doesnt mean the above. You are missing three vital words. "It could be"

RAF Tue 03-Nov-15 14:03:10

Information on microchipping here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_%28human%29

I work in health informatics, and battle against the disclosing of private personal medical information all the time. Would you want details of your mental history, your daughter's abortion, your relatives HIV status bandied around? (or available to the abusive husband who works in the police force?) Although in theory these particular details are not shared at present, they will be in the future as more and more data is required.

Going back to the IP Bill, the banning of end to end encryption (where only the sender and the receiver can decrypt it) would leave all your personal information open to hackers. If the Goverment, local councils, police etc have access, so will any 15 year old hacker! I hate to sound scare mongering, but it is somethign we all need to consider.

You can express your opposition to the bill here, but not much time left!

you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/say-no-to-the-investigative-powers-bill

I have also emailed my MP, she does actually listen!

LuckyDucky Mon 02-Nov-15 19:58:26

OK Teresa May has back-tracked: A top rank police office on LBC said the Police didn't want/need it (the "snoopers' charter)."

Downloaded "free" Windows 10?. *Did you know it has spyware attached, every key stroke is watched/recorded angry

No free anything in 2015 angry

Hope you didn't download it. If it's a *yes, go into "Settings*" and good luck.

rosesarered Mon 02-Nov-15 19:43:14

grin they do sound a bit iffy.....

Ana Mon 02-Nov-15 19:07:38

Hmm...the first two could arouse suspicion...grin

rosesarered Mon 02-Nov-15 19:02:45

I think we will all have to get used to a certain amount of 'snooping' regarding the Internet.So much crime potential on it.
my own browsing history features a lot of Hotter, M&S, and Lakeland.

Ana Mon 02-Nov-15 19:02:03

That's what I thought too, roses! grin

rosesarered Mon 02-Nov-15 18:59:59

Sci fi books?

soontobe Mon 02-Nov-15 17:11:12

RAF. Why cant the powers be taken back?

In the not too distant future it won't be sewn to your clothing, but downloaded to the microchip inserted at birth under your skin, containing all your medical, personal, employment and financial hsitory

Where are you getting this information from?

Devorgilla Mon 02-Nov-15 17:06:45

I would be on the barricades alongside you RAF.