Gransnet forums

News & politics

Would you buy one now?

(14 Posts)
Alea Thu 05-Nov-15 13:18:07

madGrandma are you my twin sister? We too had a Passat years ago, then the new Octavia, then a Roomster diesel, but since we have become a one-car family, mostly doing shortish runs, replaced the diesel with a petrol Roomster 3 years ago. Like ve our Roomsters b cause they are true Tardis cars,with massive carrying capacity for "stuff" but being no bigger on the outside We patted ourselves on the back when diesel prices rocketed and although this model is less economical than I would have liked, we are probably relieved. DDS all have diesels (BMW and Skoda) so I hope they will not catch a cold on their vehicles. At the back of my mind is lurking the suspicion that if VW have been fiddling their emissions, surely other car manufacturers cannot be squeaky clean?

MadGrandma Thu 05-Nov-15 12:19:27

We had VW for many years until 11 years ago, when we went for a Skoda Octavia. It had the same features (including exactly the same engine and radio) as a Passat, but was nowhere near the price. We had that for 10 years until we traded it for a Skoda Roomster last year. We had a letter to say that had been affected, but we have to wait for the fix to be designed before we can get it sorted!
So many manufacturers are affected, and I'm sure that there are more who are biting their nails waiting to see if they get caught too. Has it affected our decision as to what car to purchase next? No. Would we buy a VW or Skoda again? Yes. Let's face it - now we might be in a better position to bargain down a price for it!

oldie730 Thu 05-Nov-15 11:54:00

Have driven VWs since the early eighties. Down graded to an UP! now!? In the paper this am that petrol engines may be affected now, which mine is. Suppose all this scandal will make a difference to second hand prices. I don't fancy trying to get used to another make now. Was considering changing to another UP! next year. Will wait and see.

mumofmadboys Thu 05-Nov-15 10:20:10

We have a VW golf and have had a letter to say our car is one that is affected. Our car will be recalled at some point to put it right. It will put me off having another. However we have had it for 5 years and it has been very reliable.

nigglynellie Wed 04-Nov-15 13:28:47

I think you're right, I doubt VW are the only ones!

Charleygirl Wed 04-Nov-15 12:28:17

I saw on line the other day that at least 3 other companies are also involved so I doubt if it matters what we drive.

soontobe Wed 04-Nov-15 11:18:06

Has the management changed?
That is all it often takes to ruin a company's reputation, no matter how solid it is.

People forget how much power, those at the top of an organisation have.

kittylester Wed 04-Nov-15 11:11:55

We had beetles of various ages for quite a few years and the children all shared one or two depending on what was around. We always found them to be reliable and really enjoyed going to VW Rallies. I had a new car in March and we toyed with the idea of a VW but the only one which would hold DS's wheelchair was the very top of the range and so we opted for a cheaper Honda. I'm quite pleased really!!

rosesarered Wed 04-Nov-15 10:44:24

Well, they will all be tested now, so it will be interesting to see.

nigglynellie Wed 04-Nov-15 10:22:22

I wouldn't think VW are the only guilty manufacturers! I bet there are others holding their breath and crossing their fingers!! We shall see!

gillybob Wed 04-Nov-15 10:08:42

I think VW have been caught out big style but I bet many other car manufacturers have been up to the same or similar tricks. Not sure how this can be put right though.

nigglynellie Wed 04-Nov-15 09:46:52

I agree, it is quite baffling to risk a reputation built up over decades, being completely trashed. I suppose they simply thought that they would never be unmasked. In answer to your question, No, not in the immediate future, maybe when this deception is resolved, but even then?!!

Luckygirl Wed 04-Nov-15 09:36:09

We have always had VWs and have found them reasonably priced and reliable. We keep one for about 3 years then trade up. I am really not sue what we will do now. It is beyond reason that this company (which trades on its reputation) should do such a thing. Madness.

LyndaW Wed 04-Nov-15 09:31:48

This Volkswagen scandal is horrendous and ongoing now by the looks of things. I know they're just cars and it's business but my first car was a Volkswagen beetle and I've had a few VWs in my years. If I was buying a new car now though I wouldn't go near them. I feel quite let down. Which I know is silly but they built up such a solid reliable reputation in my mind.