Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mortgages for people in 80s/90s

(11 Posts)
neptune Fri 13-Nov-15 09:24:43

The headline of the article is attention grabbing but what's it's really suggesting is a way of people helping their family members (grandchildren particularly I imagine) get on the property ladder. Did get me thinking though...when did you imagine you'd be mortgage free? (i.e how old were you - or are you going to be?) Has that changed?

tanith Fri 13-Nov-15 11:00:25

I thought I'd be mortgage free by the time I was 40 but then I was divorced and bought a new home when I was 45 that mortgage finished this year thank goodness and NO I will be not be taking out a mortgage to help any of my family much as I would wish to help all of them.

Teetime Fri 13-Nov-15 12:48:40

I was 55 - DH retired and paid it off from his lump sum otherwise it would have been another 5 years. We didn't buy a house ourselves until we were in our 30s as we didn't earn enough- its never been easy to get on the ladder in my experience.

granjura Fri 13-Nov-15 12:58:14

Interesting though. We are lucky to be mortgage free now- but with interest rates so low, and mortgage being tax deductible here- maybe it would make sense to help DD2 get on the housing ladder now. Food for thought. They don't stand a chance otherwise.

ninathenana Fri 13-Nov-15 13:44:39

DH was 60 and I was 54 when we became mortgage free.
I will not be taking out a mortgage for DC the grandchildren are only little and we have recently set up trust funds for them. DD has already had thousands out of us since she left home. DS will probably never leave home.

Deedaa Sat 14-Nov-15 21:41:58

We paid our mortgage off by the time DH retired. We recently looked at taking out another one to help DD buy a house but we were told we could only have one till he was 75 and the repayments on such a short term would be astronomical.

Coolgran65 Sat 14-Nov-15 21:48:17

First mortgage was at 16% in early 70s.. Became mortgage free when I was 46.

gettingonabit Sat 14-Nov-15 22:07:36

A couple of years ago. I was 53. I have a btl mortgage on another property which I'll have until I'm 70 something!

Luckygirl Sat 14-Nov-15 22:16:47

We paid off our mortgage when I was 40 by downsizing in a big way to free us up to pursue the things in life that we enjoyed. We were all a bit cramped! - but it was worth it.

Eloethan Sun 15-Nov-15 01:23:42

I can't remember what programme it was but on TV the other day they were saying that in Japan 125 year mortgages are common ande can be passed on to children.

I was, I think, 58 when we paid off our mortgage and it was a wonderful feeling.

Grannyknot Sun 15-Nov-15 08:49:37

We live in a very comfortable house and our mortgage repayments are low (£200 a month). So we are not bothered about still having a mortgage in our 60s, and paying off the mortgage is in the Master Plan for when husband retires. We had no choice but to take out a mortgage in our 50s (because we came to the UK), I think it ends at 75 by which time we will have downsized/left London/paid it off.