Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should we bomb De-ash/ISIS in Syria?

(932 Posts)
JessM Fri 27-Nov-15 08:30:52

Blair took us into the Iraq war (to keep his American allies happy) and the Middle East was de-stabilised.
Its even more unstable and Cameron seems keen to send bombers there,presumably to keep his EU allies happy (given his negotiations...).
ISIS/DEA-SH thrive on chaos. They are a death cult aimed at hastening the end of the world. (Day of Judgement, Islam style).
Given the chaos in Syria and Iraq with all the different factions on the ground and Russia joining the throng in the air I cannot see why joining in would be either helpful or wise.
The poor civilians on the ground are now in fear of Assad, De-ash/ISIS and the bombs.
Cameron's arguments are thin.
Here are some more arguments on the other side voxpoliticalonline.com/2015/11/27/how-many-innocents-will-die-because-of-right-wing-labours-petulance/
Your MP will be heading back to their constituency to think about this over the weekend.
If you are against the bombing please, please write to your MP.
You can use this very easy site. You just type in your postcode and the site will ensure that your MP gets your email. They will be getting lots of emails on the subject so there is no need to be long-winded, so it's a 5 minute task. www.writetothem.com

durhamjen Mon 22-Aug-16 13:33:24

www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2016/08/syria-white-helmets-nominated-nobel-peace-prize-160817161037355.html

Why the white helmets do what they do.

durhamjen Mon 22-Aug-16 13:28:36

www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2016/08/syria-civil-war-iconic-image-160818140922815.html

A very powerful piece of writing.

durhamjen Sun 21-Aug-16 14:06:17

Do you know that Corbyn wanted to sell arms to Hamas?

Anniebach Sun 21-Aug-16 13:44:38

I never let anything or anyone stand in the way of what I believe to be true Jen

durhamjen Sun 21-Aug-16 13:39:50

I think you'll find that Corbyn suggested peace talks with Hamas, not selling them arms. But do not let your political leanings get in the way of truth.
Do you have a link for what you say about Corbyn?
It's this person that sold arms.

www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/news-comment/2128-worst-human-being-alive-tony-blair

Anniebach Sun 21-Aug-16 13:28:10

with the exception of arms sales to Hamas but they are friends of our future PM so that's ok

durhamjen Sun 21-Aug-16 13:20:20

I do hope so, Annie.
As Harry Leslie Smith says, the one thing we have never tried is not selling arms to the middle east.

www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/news-comment/2129-it-s-time-to-end-the-u-s-saudi-arabia-special-relationship

Anniebach Sun 21-Aug-16 12:48:06

When Corbyn is PM next year we will have world peace

durhamjen Sun 21-Aug-16 12:45:59

'All the deaths I have seen either close at hand, or in the media over my long life sadly tells me that the boy in Aleppo won't be the watershed to end this war in Syria. The watershed will be when we the people ask why should arms merchants profit so that our children may be butchered in wars that benefit no one but the elites.'

From his article.

durhamjen Sun 21-Aug-16 12:42:53

Sorry, whitewave, but you seemed to imply that bombing might have ended the conflict quicker. I was just pointing out that it didn't. It escalated it.

www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/news-comment/2125-countless-children-are-victims-of-war

An article by Harry Leslie Smith trying to reconcile that photo.

whitewave Sun 21-Aug-16 03:40:53

dj that was quite a leap you made about my sittin g on the fence and advocating the shock and awe of Bush!!
The view from my fence is of tiny bodies and crying children. I just feel that Our current strategy isn't helping a single child, that in fact their killing and maiming has become a weapon of war. I'm not advocating more bombing, but neither do I think the choice we made of relative non interference was the right one. I want to see more activity by the UN - but I think that our strategy has allowed Russia to stregthen its position, and as a result little can now be done.

durhamjen Sat 20-Aug-16 21:14:50

thexrayfactor.wordpress.com/2016/08/19/the-iraq-war-was-simply-business-as-usual/

A view of the aftermath of the Iraq war and the Chilcot enquiry.

durhamjen Sat 20-Aug-16 19:19:54

i2.wp.com/voxpoliticalonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/cycle-of-hate.png?w=483

durhamjen Sat 20-Aug-16 13:22:53

Do you think that Bush/Blair shock and awe helped?
That seems to me what you are advocating in your previous post about sitting on the fence.
I think it caused the rise of ISIS.

Do you think that bombing Syria has helped?
The weapons ISIS has are those left behind in Iraq by the US/UK allies.

The Chilcot enquiry seems to have disappeared from the news very quickly.

whitewave Fri 19-Aug-16 19:04:49

We've been doing that for years. In my previous existence I was keenly aware of that fact. Arms export that is.

durhamjen Fri 19-Aug-16 18:59:31

www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/news-comment/2116-the-futility-of-air-strikes-in-the-war-on-terror

And even worse.

durhamjen Fri 19-Aug-16 18:53:55

www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2014/09/26/comment-beware-our-allies-against-isis
To confuse you a bit more.

whitewave Fri 19-Aug-16 18:30:56

I really am sitting on the fence at the moment with this. On Today this morning, the suggestion was that Russia is totally pulling the shots. One of the reasons given was Obamas hands off stance since he took office. But I also supported the no bombing campaign, but now I'm wondering whether and if we could have ended the conflict quicker. Actually probably not, but it seems wrong not to try to stop it and Russia is clearly not going to take any notice from its position of strength

durhamjen Fri 19-Aug-16 18:12:31

act.thesyriacampaign.org/go/319?t=2&akid=338.124249.fSmnNY

Russia did this, not ISIS. Russia in cahoots with Assad.

durhamjen Tue 16-Aug-16 22:26:51

Just read that the White Helmets have been nominated for the Nobel Peace prize.
If anyone deserves it, it's the White Helmets.

www.whitehelmets.org/

LullyDully Sat 13-Aug-16 20:32:59

It is all so heart breaking.
I also feel sorry for the mislead girls who went to Syria and the one who died in a bombing. How dreadful to smuggle themselves off on a perceived adventure, only to find themselves in a living hell. To be stuck, knowing they were so misguided and tricked must have been awful. 15/ 16is so young.

whitewave Sat 13-Aug-16 18:10:35

watched babies and children trying to survive the gas - it was horrendous.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 13-Aug-16 17:22:19

So sad.

durhamjen Sat 13-Aug-16 16:32:45

Khaled, the man who rescued this baby, was killed yesterday.

act.thesyriacampaign.org/go/309?t=1&akid=329.124249.09-0Ws

Three other white helmets were injured.
It's time to get western governments to stop the Syrian regime from bombing its own citizens.
The regime has caused over 97% of casualties in Syria.
ISIS has caused 1%.

durhamjen Tue 09-Aug-16 13:53:14

Just received an email from the syria campaign.
It seems to have been forgotten about now, but there were 43 attacks on hospitals in July.

act.thesyriacampaign.org/go/82?t=1&akid=326.124249.lg9JIJ

A petition to ask the US to get the Russians and Syrian government to stop bombing hospitals and civilians.