Gransnet forums

News & politics

Attendance allowance

(20 Posts)
POGS Sun 24-Jan-16 10:16:25

Not sure about all the implications but on a personal note I can say something.

Dad received Attendance Allowance but it basically went into his bank account and back out to the Care Company who were attending him (set up by Social Services) . I don't remember there being much left over money wise to be honest but at the end of the day that was what the money was intended for,his care and welfare.

I am wondering why there is a thought to change the system ? I do know of a couple who have openly said the hubby gets AA and other benefits and they use it for holidays, that makes my blood boil. I don't know the answer to that but I guess as long as dad received the same level of care it wouldn't have mattered a jot if the money wasn't paid to him or directly to Social Services for them to supply the care package deemed suitable for him.

Will look into this more but a valid point to make trisher.

Luckygirl Sat 23-Jan-16 23:25:16

Money that goes to the LA is hedged round with rules and diminished by overheads. Money that goes straight to the qualifying person is ALL available for spending to enhance that person's life; and the recipient can use it in many different ways.

This was the principle behind Independent Living Payments - let us hope that those too do not bite the dust.

GillT57 Sat 23-Jan-16 21:02:24

My Mother gets lower rate AA and although she is generally able to cook for herself, dress, shower etc., it helps to pay for a cleaner to do things like vacuum the stairs, change the bed, clean the shower, all things which my Mother is unable to do or would potentially injure her if she attempted them. It pays for a gardener when she needs it, for a taxi to GP, dentist, and for ready meals when she is unable to cook. It means that she can keep her house as warm as she needs without worrying about the gas bill. Presumably if local authority got the funding instead then any applicants for AA would be means tested which would exclude my Mother and others like her. This needs to be published, for this could be a stage too far. The Conservatives made many promises to the older generation during the election campaign, promises such as ring fencing assets for assessment of care costs etc, and this is a particularly nasty turn for the worse. I have always said that by the time I retire ( getting further and further into the distance) there will be no pensioner benefits at all.

annsixty Sat 23-Jan-16 19:55:20

When we applied I was rung by an assessor who asked me if my H was a danger to himself and others. Then, did I have to cut up his food for him and would he starve if I wasn't there. I was quite traumatised by this especially as I knew people who were getting it. I was advised to apply again but it took me about 16 months before I did, encouraged by the CPN and age concern who both said those questions were totally inappropriate. We get it now and it pays for taxis and help in the house and garden. New curtains may be a step too far.

trisher Sat 23-Jan-16 19:08:01

The money is to help with the ordinary tasks of everyday living that the recipient might find difficult, so as has been said transport for shopping, house cleaning or help with personal care if they wish. You do need to show that there are reasons you cannot actually do these things and applications are often submitted with the help of a medical professional or a social worker. My mother has a number of health problems including a heart problem, a blood condition and advanced osteoporosis which has resulted in several spine fractures. She is amazingly independent and tries to do as much as she can. She can't carry shopping, change her bed or clean her flat. But she doesn't want someone 'caring' for her every day as she prefers to shower, dress and get ready for bed when she wants to rather than when someone comes to see her. The allowance is a great way of providing the care someone really wants and not what the system decides they need. Getting rid of AA will restrict life style choices for the elderly and infirm.

granjura Sat 23-Jan-16 17:37:18

From Age UK:

"You don't have to have someone caring for you in order to claim, and you can spend the money however you want," says Age UK. "It does not matter if you live alone or with other people, or whether you have a carer – what matters is that you need help with personal care, supervision or watching over. Whether you are actually getting any help is irrelevant."

seems bizarre to me, either you do need help and get it, or you don't?

granjura Sat 23-Jan-16 17:33:28

Attendance allowance does not have to be linked directly for 'attendance'- but could be spent for anything the person wants - a fact that always surprised me greatly- as if the person does not need to spend it on 'attendance' then surely they should not get it?

trisher Sat 23-Jan-16 15:18:07

It also strikes me that a lot of these things actually cost less than a care package would, so costs would rise as well.

trisher Sat 23-Jan-16 15:16:25

Thanks for your examples. I only have my personal experience to call on but it sounds as if the situation is much worse than I thought. Do you think Gransnet would take on a campaign to gather information and lobby for AA?

Galen Sat 23-Jan-16 14:13:00

Trisher AA is not just for care, it's can be given for supervision to prevent danger to the claimant or others as well

M0nica Sat 23-Jan-16 13:39:11

This is appalling. Local Authorities cannot provide the personal services that Attendance Allowance covered, to begin with LAs will not subsidise fuel bills or pay the delivery costs for supermarket and other deliveries. It will not pay for the taxis that take people to the doctor, dentist or hairdresser or social club.

It will not pay for the unexpected life enhancers, a present for a grandson who visited his grandmother twice a day on his way to and from school to check she was OK, had taken her pills and doing little jobs for her. Another lady in constant pain sat in her sheltered flat all day looking at the previous occupants curtains that she loathed, AA paid for new curtains, it paid for a taxi to get fish and chips for someone from their favourite chippy once a week. I could quote many

All these are examples of needs that were met by AA that I came across when I was a volunteer Benefits Advisor with a charity for older people.

trisher Sat 23-Jan-16 13:09:11

Thanks Charleygirl. I so agree Luckygirl. It will lead to people either getting nothing or getting a "package" they might not need. The recipient should be allowed to choose.

Lona Sat 23-Jan-16 13:07:41

Signed!

Luckygirl Sat 23-Jan-16 13:00:13

Given to local authorities - sob, sob sad

The whole point of these benefits is that the recipient can spend them in a way that is flexible and tailored to their needs.

Charleygirl Sat 23-Jan-16 12:49:00

I have signed

trisher Sat 23-Jan-16 11:40:01

Probably -like all those funds do. As well it will probably mean you will get a package of care and that will be it. The money goes to the person at present, for my mother that means we have been able to change her support as her needs have changed. So when she was ill and came out of hospital she had lots of help-carers, meals, shopping, cleaning, but as she stabilised we have been able (because it is what she wants) to cut that down. She prefers to do her own meals (thank goodness for microwaves) and likes someone to do her cleaning occasionally. I think it is better for her health than becoming totally dependant but I can't see councils letting you chop and change.

Badenkate Sat 23-Jan-16 11:14:25

My worry would certainly be that the money wouldn't be ring-fenced and would just disappear in the local council's ever-decreasing funding.

trisher Sat 23-Jan-16 11:08:21

They are going to consult but the proposal is money would be given to Local Authorities. Petition says "A single paragraph in the Local Government Finance Settlement published before Christmas sounded the death knell for attendance allowance (AA).
The government is to launch a consultation on abolishing AA for all new claims and handing the money over to local councils to pay for support for older people.
We are writing with our grave concerns about the abolition of Attendance Allowance, we believe that taking away this financial support from people who may not meet the substantial/critical criteria that Social Services work to will impact on the health of people who may not meet this level of need.
We must bring this to the attention of the public and media as people don't realise what attendance allowance is, this is a benefit payable to people over the age of 65 who have care needs, they do not have to actually receive the help, they just need to have difficulties with everyday tasks, such as dressing and washing, this money can make all the difference between living and existing. "
I think we need to voice our concerns now.

Luckygirl Sat 23-Jan-16 10:56:39

I do not know the details of this. Are they abolishing it to replace it with something else - PIP for pensioners or something like?

trisher Sat 23-Jan-16 10:49:26

For many elderly people the Attendance Allowance has enabled them to continue living an independent life despite illness and infirmity. Mr Cameron wants to abolish it. Don't worry if you are claiming now-you will continue to get it, but there will be no new claims if DC gets his way. I know that this allowance has enabled my mum to stay in her own home at 93 and I want the same for myself (Should I reach that age). Sign the petition if you think that we should be able to be independent you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/attendence-allowance-abolished
If anyone agrees with DC I would like to know their reasons.