Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tumble drier warning

(58 Posts)
mrsmopp Tue 09-Feb-16 14:27:46

Shocked to read that a woman has died in a fire caused by a faulty tumble drier. It is thought that the fluff came into contact with the heating element.
As I have the same model I have had a letter from Hotpoint stressing the importance of cleaning the fluff from the filter. I do this anyway but I think this needs a lot more publicity to prevent it happening again.

mrsmopp Mon 28-Mar-16 11:24:34

I accepted the offer of a new machine for £59. It was delivered within a couple of days and I am very happy with it. They took away the old machine and I was told they could not be re-used and would all be scrapped.
It must have cost Hotpoint a fortune!!

Floradora9 Wed 23-Mar-16 19:31:17

Anyone who is give a date well into the future get complaining . Go on the website e-mail the general manager do not accept it. We kicked up a fuss and got our sorted swiftly. If you look at MartinLew's Money Saving Expert site he has tip to-day about how to go about it.

rosesarered Wed 23-Mar-16 18:18:40

The one they offer is ugly, but if you can tuck it away aomewhere, that wouldn't matter.Go online and look at a pic of it, it has a large porthole instead of the door opening and a big handle.Still no date to get mine fixed!

Conni7 Wed 23-Mar-16 18:03:44

As the service to my condenser dryer was not to be until July, I opted to change it for the vented one at £59, which so far I am very pleased with. My other one was only about 9 months old, but I was fed up with all the cleaning of fluff and tipping out of water. The large piece at the bottom which has to be cleaned out wouldn't fit under my tap, so I'm happier with a vented one.

Jalima Thu 03-Mar-16 20:08:15

My neighbour was offered a new one for £59 and took up the offer; I think she had had her other one for 3 years so thought it was a good deal.
She keeps it in the garage.

mrsmopp Thu 03-Mar-16 19:35:55

I have just heard from Hotpoint that it will be November before my tumble drier will be checked and serviced. Like others I have been offered a new drier for £99 and the recommended price is £299.
It is the one previously mentioned on here, as it has a very large capacity and a huge door. Hotpoint claim it is more economic to run.
Has anyone accepted this offer? I think I will go to Curry's and have a look at it before deciding. Was wondering if anyone has this model, what they thought of it.

Welshwife Thu 18-Feb-16 15:54:51

I have not be offered any deal on a new one - BUT the repaired one was brought back on Monday afternoon - sounded fine - Tuesday I put a load in and switched on - had a feeling and when I opened the door realised the drum was not turning!!! Emails and phone calls and the man is coming again tomorrow afternoon. Luckily we had a nice sunny day yesterday and I hit everything dry.

auntiejantie Sun 14-Feb-16 12:57:26

I received an email last month to say that my tumble dryer would be repaired in April but was given a link to purchase a new one (my faulty one would have been 2 years old this month). On the link I was offered a vented machine for £59 or a condenser for £89. I chose the vented and selected a day for delivery that suited me the following week. A new machine, old one removed and new one fitted for £59. I think that is okay.

Welshwife Sun 14-Feb-16 08:40:45

Mine is due to be delivered back to me tomorrow - I shall test for noises before I unlock the door to allow the delivery man back out!
Hotpoint have a new washing machine model with what looks like a large porthole door. I think the door is probably the same size but the frame around the glass is much thinner than the old style and it is also edged in black. I quite liked it when I gave it an inspection in a shop (as may be needing to replace my machine soon). I suppose the two would then match. I have my appliances in a utility mainly because I absolutely hate the noise of them.

rosesarered Sat 13-Feb-16 18:56:51

Sorry Blinko have only just read your post ( where you say you have bought one) as I was in a hurry.Otherwise I would have been more diplomatic grinBut of course, tucked away, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

Blinko Sat 13-Feb-16 16:19:07

It's true that the condenser on offer isn't attractive, but it's tucked away in the utility room, so not a problem.

Blinko Sat 13-Feb-16 16:18:17

It's true that the condenser on offer isn't attractive, but it's tucked away in the utility room, so not a problem.

rosesarered Thu 11-Feb-16 13:21:25

It's only offered in white, as well.

rosesarered Thu 11-Feb-16 13:20:49

Be careful about the £99 offer of a new appliance. Rang them today and asked when my repair would be done (June) they then asked if I would like a new tumble drier, a Hotpoint condenser, for just £99. Mine is 3 years old, so a good offer.I said I would look at it on their website first. OMG, it is the ugliest machine I have ever seen, no way would I ever buy it!Instead of the whole door opening, it's a vast porthole with a huge handle on it.Now, if you have a tucked away utility room you may not mind this, but for the kitchen, I can't believe anyone would buy it.I will wait for the repair, and be careful to keep an eye on it.

Anya Thu 11-Feb-16 12:31:42

I know I've already posted a link but washing machines cause more fires than tumble dryers.

Blinko Thu 11-Feb-16 10:09:49

We had a vented dryer which turned out to be one of the faulty ones. I registered it in November, and got an email in January telling me they could repair it in May! But they also offered a condenser dryer for £99 (reduced from £299) so we were pleased to take this offer. The new one was delivered and the old one taken away within three days. We were happy as we were considering buying a condenser dryer anyway.

Welshwife Wed 10-Feb-16 21:57:57

They seem to be offering people different things - one family we know had three members with recall machines - two were repaired and one replaced free of charge!

JaxKerr Wed 10-Feb-16 21:39:18

We had same model which was 8 years old. Got an email from Hotpoint saying problem with that model. Told to check their website to confirm our model had the problem. Did so and registered with them. They said they would be in touch and to carry on using dryer but clean fluff every time. Couple of months later got email asking us to click link re an appointment for engineer to visit. At bottom of this email there was also a link to purchase new dryer instead, worth £299, for £99. They would deliver, install and remove old dryer at same time. This seemed a bargain, so we did so a few weeks ago.smile

chatykathy Wed 10-Feb-16 20:42:39

My daughter was offered a brand new one for £99 which she has accepted. Ours is only 2 years old so not sure if we will have the same opportunity.

Squaredancer Wed 10-Feb-16 20:40:33

Mine isn't a condenser one but it is on the list!

Squaredancer Wed 10-Feb-16 20:36:55

Mine is one of the Hotpoint numbers given. I registered it and received an email and link but got no further. Decided to give it a good going over myself. I always clear the pull up filter but found something on YouTube where the chap cleaning one out, put his hand down the vent and pulled a load of fluff out. We pulled the machine out and unplugged from the wall. He must have had long fingers as no way would my little short fingers reach. I bent a piece of wire into a hook and yes there was loads down below the filter. I did have to use a torch and stick my head into the hole!! Next because I was paranoid about getting rid of all the fluff I got my husband to remove the hot air outlet hose which I hoovered. That wasn't bad but the thing that shocked me was when I looked up the hole into the machine it was solid with fluff. I stuck the hoover up inside and boy, did I get a load out. It suddenly came out with a big "glug". Satisfied that it was now OK, I shall fully clean it again in a couple of months. I never leave it on and go out. Hotpoint only say to clean the filter but don't mention that it needs to be much more thorough than that.

A week previous to this, our Hotpoint dishwasher nearly set on fire. I was watching TV and (thankfully having good hearing), I heard what sounded like foil crackling. On investigation I was met with a horrible smell and smoke beginning to appear from under the sink next to it. I quickly got a wooden rolling pin and pressed the mains switch off. I dread to think of the consequences had we been out or if my husband had been in alone as his hearing is poor. I have gone back to washing up by hand and now have a new cupboard in place of the machine.

Anya Wed 10-Feb-16 19:12:28

It's not just tumble dryers many other domestic appliences are just as damgerous.

You should always register your washing machine, dish washer, tumble dryers, etc so if there is a recall you can be contacted.

Iam64 Wed 10-Feb-16 18:34:08

My drier is a Bosch but I'm diligent about cleaning out the fluff after every use. It's on at least once a day currently because the awful weather means I'm washing 3 dog towels at least once a day.

I once had a Samsung fridge freezer that was on the alert list, "likely to burst into flames". I'd lost the bit of paper with my model number on it and spoke to three Samsung employees who simply refused to send an engineer because it was "your fault" you lost the number. I put a post on their Facebook page asking for help, commented I was certain they wouldn't want my product to burst into flames. An engineer was at my house within 24 hours and fixed the problem.

shysal Wed 10-Feb-16 18:29:28

Yes, tumble dryers only.

janepearce6 Wed 10-Feb-16 18:10:21

I am assuming we are only talking about tumble dryers not washer/dryers?