Gransnet forums

News & politics

Referendum leaflets

(87 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 08-Apr-16 21:59:58

Am I alone in being appalled that £9 million of our money is to be spent on pro-EU leaflets for every house on behalf of the government? Where is the £9 million for the leave campaign? This is so undemocratic.

I plan to send mine back to the PM at No 10.

nigglynellie Sun 17-Apr-16 13:23:22

I think , only think, that they're waiting to see what we do, in or out!!

Luckygirl Sun 17-Apr-16 12:14:34

I think the Dutch are wanting a referendum from my reading.

Ana Sun 17-Apr-16 12:00:22

I thought the vote was against the association with Ukraine (the 'againsts' won by the way).

Eloethan Sun 17-Apr-16 11:48:56

As far as I have read, people in the Netherlands are calling for a referendum on TTIP, not on the EU.

nigglynellie Sun 17-Apr-16 10:29:16

deGaulle saw us as an island race with an island mentality, and up to a point I think he was right, and probably still is! The French were every bit as much a colonial power as we were along with Germany and Holland. France and this country have historically hated each other for centuries, up till the entente cordial in the early 1900's. When my parents travelled in France in the 1950's, vive l'angleterre, was heard everywhere, so maybe the population weren't so anti us as their president! The one country that doesn't hate us are the Netherlands as my lovely Dutch friends constantly remind me, but that again is for recent historic reasons.

whitewave Sun 17-Apr-16 09:41:28

Special relationship with USA

whitewave Sun 17-Apr-16 09:40:22

The reason we Gaulle was not keen in Briton was because he saw us and too a point the French still do as too Anglo Saxon.

The French in particular have always been keen to distinguish themselves from America, and have always whenever possible developed a European model of the economy etc. No bad thing in my opinion.
Post war they considered the UK was too keen on the old colonial thing and understood sooner than the old guard in the UK that the era was past.
The UK was also keen through the Churchilian connection to retain a special relationship with the UK. Europe was keen to stand on its own two feet.

It was only after Europe was racing ahead economically that we tried to join the club.

NfkDumpling Sun 17-Apr-16 06:40:58

And, is it true there's a strong movement in Holland for them to have their own In/ Out referendum?

NfkDumpling Sun 17-Apr-16 06:38:22

That Nick Robinson programme gave a lot of insight, I thought, into the way the other European countries think. It's strengthened my deciding we should leave. We're never going to be the 'Big Player' government likes to imply we are, Britain is just too unpopular. I think France, Germany and many other members see us as a cash cow.

Jalima Sat 16-Apr-16 20:39:09

Did anyone watch the Nick Robinson programme on the history of Britain's entry into the EEC. Very interesting. What a b...ard D'Gaulle was
Yes, I watched it and look forward to the next one.
Well worth watching on iPlayer if anyone missed it.

nigglynellie Sat 16-Apr-16 17:54:01

Sorry, assuming - read as you! this b.... y kindle has a mind of its own!!

nigglynellie Sat 16-Apr-16 17:52:07

I absolutely agree with you Luckygirl, assuming you say,the government can hide behind the ' will of the 'people' in answer to all its future woes!! Also I think it is quite alarming to think that people who actually wish this country harm, nutters of one sort or another, the prejudiced for no other reason than they hate the government, and the ill informed, which is probably a lot of people! will all be voting in something that is so important. I too hate the gravy train and the smug self important people on it, Kinnock and Mandelson come to mind!!! My instincts tell me that we should stay in for fear of something worse, but I'm not happy with it.

Luckygirl Sat 16-Apr-16 17:38:53

I am with pompa here on the referendum - it is a bit of political window dressing that allows the government to cop out and say that it was "the voice of the people" when something goes wrong whichever way the decision goes - "It wasn't me guv."

Asking people to vote in something that the majority knows little about is a complete nonsense. It leaves the way clear for nutters to vote for atavistic tribal reasons, particularly in relation to immigration.

No-one knows what the outcome of leaving might be as no country has yet done so. What I do know is the the EU is a massive gravy train and that sticks in my craw.

pompa Sat 16-Apr-16 17:27:29

Having worked in manufacturing, with multinational companies all my working life, I am sure that the EU will be the best for British industry (and therefore jobs). But as far as the economy, immigration etc., I don't have a clue.

nigglynellie Sat 16-Apr-16 16:48:14

I agree, I think it was a silly idea to have a referendum, as not many people will fully understand the ramifications of staying or leaving. However, it was in the conservatives manifesto, so I reluctantly agreed to it, and will have to accept it without complaint. Both sides are very persuasive, so who to believe?!!! I simply don't know as there are valid reasons for both camps! I've got the booklet on the table by my chair, as it cost so much perhaps I'd better look at it!!!!

Alima Sat 16-Apr-16 16:17:47

In fairness this thread is entitled "Referendum leaflets". There is another thread on the pros and cons of leaving the EU.
Was it not in the Tory manifesto that there would be a referendum on the EU if they won the last election.
In 1975 we joined the EEC as the result of a referendum.
Did anyone watch the Nick Robinson programme on the history of Britain's entry into the EEC. Very interesting. What a b...ard D'Gaulle was.

We received a copy of the leaflet, read it and sent it on to No. 10. In my mind a waste of 9 million pounds. More money, is it 6 or 7 million will be available to the out brigade. What we need on this is unbiased debate so that we are able to make our decision on referendum day. Cloud cuckoo land springs to mind.

pompa Sat 16-Apr-16 14:55:36

You are right Lucky girl, getting unbiased facts will be impossible, simply because there are too many variables even for the most informed, unbiased expert to predict. Most of the population are unlikely to understand all the implications, will have to vote with their heart and live with the consequence.
I am not even in favour of a referendum, we voted in a government to make these decisions, would be happy for them to make it for me.

rosesarered Sat 16-Apr-16 14:43:37

... and the wrong choice may be made [whichever way it goes] but a bit of badinage about the leaflets is neither here nor there IMHO.Plus it was lot of money for a poor product.

Luckygirl Sat 16-Apr-16 14:42:03

The decision to stay or leave is critical, but getting unbiased information is quite impossible. Neither side really know what might happen because no-one has done this before. We are groping in the dark. Crazy!

pompa Sat 16-Apr-16 14:40:24

She may well have been joking, but far too many seem more concerned about this leaflet than the subject itself. For our children & grandchildren this is the most important decision that we will have to make for many years. We get one chance at this, not like a general election where we get another chance in a few years.

rosesarered Sat 16-Apr-16 14:35:21

think that Lillie may possibly have been joking [unless you put a grin on with a post not many people seem to get a joke on here.]

pompa Sat 16-Apr-16 14:16:23

Lillie, I think the decision to stay in or leave is somewhat more important than a grammatical error.

harrigran Fri 15-Apr-16 18:59:32

I posted on the government fb page and told them they had done a great job in helping to achieve the opposite of what they want, great booklet NOT.

Lillie Fri 15-Apr-16 14:47:48

I've just read the booklet which arrived at the holiday cottage we are renting.
Ahem, ....... I open the first page and see a picture of a calendar with june 2016 with a small J and all the days of the week starting with small letters!!! I know it's not a booklet about education, but you'd think a government which bangs on about raising standards in literacy would at least choose to show the dates in their correct form.
It has really annoyed me and my undecided has now swung to "Out" yes, with a capital O!

rosesarered Fri 15-Apr-16 11:31:42

It arrived today, tucked in with a load of other junk, nearly threw it away unread.
We did read it ( have to get our money's worth after all) but found it bland, boring and full of pics.Then it got thrown away.