Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hillsborough verdict

(219 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 26-Apr-16 08:24:44

The jury will return their verdict today . I hope the families of the victims finally have justice.

annsixty Tue 26-Apr-16 08:35:37

My hope is that they will all accept the verdict whichever way it goes and then try to get on with the rest of their lives for their own sake and that of their loved ones.
I can understand their anguish but also can see from other people that life must go on. I am not being hard or unsympathetic here, I am trying, perhaps very clumsily, to point out they have a life to live and now they should try and live it.

Anniebach Tue 26-Apr-16 08:45:10

Justice must always be fought for surely ?

ninathenana Tue 26-Apr-16 09:07:52

Yes justice must be fought for and we can have a personal opinion of what we think that would be. However as outsiders we will never know what the verdict should be.
I agree with annsixty

Anniebach Tue 26-Apr-16 09:30:34

Surely justice means truth

Anniebach Tue 26-Apr-16 11:19:09

Justice at last, the victims were innocent

ninathenana Tue 26-Apr-16 11:23:57

Dictionary definition:
Fairness in the way people are dealt with.

Not the same as truth Annie

daphnedill Tue 26-Apr-16 11:28:55

It's very easy, as an outsider, to say that life must go on. I'm very fortunate that I've never lost anybody close in such a tragic way.

It was important for the relatives of those who died to seek justice. I don't think I can ever truly know how they feel.

Don't forget that the victims were 'blamed' by certain sectors of the media. To this day, I understand that people in Liverpool still boycott the Sun.

Anniebach Tue 26-Apr-16 11:42:17

As someone who was at the Aberfan disaster I know how these families feel and why they have fought so hard and for so long.

Nina, justice is truth,i don't care what a dictionary says sorry , if there is to be justice then there has to be truth

inatiz Tue 26-Apr-16 11:52:40

the verdict is in apparently - the victims were unlawfully killed and now they're considering whether to bring criminal charges

inatiz Tue 26-Apr-16 11:53:57

oh sorry, just seen someone's mentioned it earlier blush

kittylester Tue 26-Apr-16 12:03:41

I agree with Ann. DH and DS2 were there and it has had a lasting impact on them, DS2 particularly. I'm terribly sad for the families and for their loss. I admire them for seeking answers but, for the sake of the survivors, it should be left to lie - though I doubt it will.

As it was in the days before mobile phones our other children and I were worried sick watching it unfold on the television. DFiL was also worried sick and permanently on the phone asking if we had heard anything. I spent my time trying to calm him whilst trying to get him off the phone in case DH and DS, who had unusually gone on the supporter's bus, were trying to ring us.

DS still has nightmares about it, despite various therapies, and his nightmares are much worse when it is in the news. sad

I hope the families find peace now. flowers

Anniebach Tue 26-Apr-16 12:43:14

Kitty I feel sorry for your son, I went through therapy but still haunted . Can the families of the victims leave it to lie? I doubt could. The CPS are now viewing it so I don't think there will be any prosecutions , I await 'lessons will be learned ' which really means the police must make sure their lies cannot be uncovered

obieone Tue 26-Apr-16 13:35:29

I think justice means truth too. I think.

But there is also peace. And also the concept of "rather be wronged".
I think sometimes we are supposed to let go and have peace[not sure I at all mean that in the circumstances on this thread]. I think it partly depends on whether, if by getting justice, then the same wrong things dont happen again and to others.

I think people also have to be careful not to damage their present by say alienating those around them by pursuing something that perhaps others could pursue with less damage if you see what I mean.

Anniebach Tue 26-Apr-16 14:26:29

Not quite sure what you mean sorry , if the Hillsborough families hadn't fought for the truth who else would have ?

obieone Tue 26-Apr-16 14:44:19

I can see that my post is quite confusing.
My last paragraph is not necessarily or really talking about the Hillsborough families, and since this is a Hillsborough thread, I will attempt to keep largely on topic.

PRINTMISS Tue 26-Apr-16 15:04:44

We can but hope that those families who fought so hard for justice will now find some peace. It cannot have been easy to have to relive the nightmare over and over again, especially for those who suffered nightmarish repercussions from being immediately involved, the imagination runs riot in the small hours of the nigh;. whatever the outcome of these "findings" the horror will stay with them, and we can only wish them peace in the future.
There is to be a police investigation, obviously, and I am quite sure that there are a number of police officers who were on duty that day, who also relive the scenes over and over in their minds and possibly suffer the same nightmares.

Anniebach Tue 26-Apr-16 15:08:51

You are on topic, I admit I have mixed feelings today so possibly too emotional ,sorry . I do understand about letting go and finding peace, I have experienced this and I am thankful I was able to let go of anger etc , but it is difficult

ninathenana Tue 26-Apr-16 15:52:48

Truth, justice whatever word is used of course I feel for the relatives and admire their determination.
I also feel for others like kitty's family who suffered from just being there.

Eloethan Tue 26-Apr-16 18:54:32

I think that if I had a family member who had died in such a horrific way and I had seen the TV footage of the obvious lack of urgency and negligence displayed, I would not be able to put it behind me until everything was brought out into the open.

When you add to that, the "cover up" where police officers were told to edit their notes to give a uniform and incorrect account of events - which the Sun readily believed and published - I can quite understand why for some people this issue has become an all-consuming part of their lives.

I hope now that they feel more at peace and they can get on with the rest of their lives - though I don't suppose that this awful event will ever be forgotten.

rubylady Tue 26-Apr-16 18:59:09

Good on them, every one of those families who have fought tooth and nail to prove that their own were not to blame for what happened that day. I would certainly not leave it there, I would want the people to blame to be brought to justice and to pay for what they have done. If cases can be brought from years past for sexual matters like they have then this still needs to be fought until someone is found accountable for the mistake of those fans being crushed to death.

They have guts and determination, those Liverpool families, many many tears but lots of strength and support from each other, God love them.

petra Tue 26-Apr-16 19:45:54

I can't believe that John Snow ( Chanel 4 news) said: " Its a good day for British justice" WHAT!!!!!

daphnedill Tue 26-Apr-16 20:01:29

What do you mean, petra?

Anniebach Tue 26-Apr-16 20:04:01

Good grief, is the man mad , it's yet another day where we learn of police corruption and cover ups

Ana Tue 26-Apr-16 20:05:28

Presumably he meant he agreed with today's verdict. What's wrong with that? confused