Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn and No Confidence

(628 Posts)
trisher Fri 24-Jun-16 15:20:49

MPs are proposing a vote of No Confidence in Corbyn, but we all know they didn't want him in the first place. Could it be that these MPs kept quiet during the run up to the referendum and are now just taking advantage of a situation they helped create? Is a leader only as strong as the generals that stand behind them?

Jalima Thu 07-Jul-16 20:28:11

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqH21LEmfbQ

rosesarered Thu 07-Jul-16 17:37:46

What problem?grin

Jalima Thu 07-Jul-16 16:47:52

Or, as the Telegraph claims, he was born in Chippenham, Shropshire!
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/17/biography-of-jeremy-corbyn---in-60-seconds/

Who writes this rubbish?
Oh, Charlotte Krol
Presumably she got paid, too.

Anyway, this doesn't solve the problem1

Jalima Thu 07-Jul-16 16:42:23

I don't know how much ski-ing takes place in Salop

Perhaps down the Long Mynd?

Anyway, it is still not Wales grin
And i think Jeremy C was born in Chippenham (or so they claimed)

DaphneBroon Thu 07-Jul-16 16:10:11

If the inhabitants of Shropshire are salop(e)s blush are the babies *Salopettes"? grin

Jalima Thu 07-Jul-16 15:54:24

Always brought up to say Shroosbury
Then met a boy from 'Shrowsbury'
(But I didn't marry him --thank goodness--)

I never knew that Salop was 'Anglo-Norman French'. The things you can learn on GN!

Badenkate Thu 07-Jul-16 15:43:07

Join the club dd. It's much more fun down here with the plebs wink

daphnedill Thu 07-Jul-16 15:38:34

Thanks for the answer. I always say Shrooo, so I'm obviously not posh. hmm

Lazigirl Thu 07-Jul-16 15:34:37

Daphnedill Shrows if you're posh (or aspirational) Shoosbry if not! Perhaps plenty Scots and Welsh politicians/leaders cos it's hard in Wales and up north and they had to fight for their rights.

Badenkate Thu 07-Jul-16 15:23:30

Shroosbury dd, but even Salopians (see what I did there?) who've lived here a long time argue about that

daphnedill Thu 07-Jul-16 15:23:04

Gladstone was born in England, but was Scottish.

DaphneBroon Thu 07-Jul-16 14:51:23

lazigirl gringrin

DaphneBroon Thu 07-Jul-16 14:50:52

Blair, David Steel, Gordon Brown, Alec Douglas Home, Charles Kennedy, AJ Balfour, Henry Campbell-Bannerman, Ramsey MacDonald for starters then from Wales, Lloyd George, Nye Bevan, Neil Kinnock (I have probably missed loads!)
Easier to enumerate English born UK political leaders and prime ministers!!

daphnedill Thu 07-Jul-16 14:40:18

{grin]gringrin

Do you pronounce Shrewsbury as 'Shrooosbry' or 'Shrowsbry'?

Lazigirl Thu 07-Jul-16 10:35:54

We don't say Salop anymore Jalima, because of French connotations. Blame it on EU if you like. smile

Jalima Thu 07-Jul-16 10:31:28

Newport in Salop is not that far from Wales (Corbyn)

Just saying
Ducks and runs

daphnedill Thu 07-Jul-16 10:19:38

Blair is Scottish. hmm

Lazigirl Thu 07-Jul-16 10:13:05

Once the press starts putting the boot any leader is doomed, especially LP ones. Unfortunately the way we practise politics is adversarial, and I guess people like it as it's more exciting, but IMO not much to do with democracy. I think it would serve us better to have proportional representation, instead of a few constituencies deciding who will run the country. Consensus politics, which I think is what Corbyn is trying just won't work here, unfortunately. The traditional Labour voter doesn't exist any more, so perhaps it is time for parties on the left to join together to form a strong group to oppose the Tories. This will be necessary in the next couple of years, to ensure we hold on to the rights and benefits we have had in EU for one thing.

Jalima Thu 07-Jul-16 10:13:00

Neil Gordon Kinnock?

See , I'm quite good too! grin
He even had a Scottish middle name!

Anniebach Thu 07-Jul-16 09:29:17

Yes Rosesarered, you are really up on British politics

rosesarered Thu 07-Jul-16 09:09:22

You also had Tony Blair.smile

Anniebach Wed 06-Jul-16 22:26:30

Yes POGS, and if he had stood as leader as was expected things would have been so different, in my opinion. Brown took over after constant attacks in the press as to his mental stability, then the unfortunate release of him calling that woman a bigot.

POGS Wed 06-Jul-16 22:19:14

Well you did have Gordon Brown Anniebach.

Anniebach Wed 06-Jul-16 22:08:16

Labour needs a Scots or Welsh leader . Not being anti English I promise , far more difficult to place these accents into a class

POGS Wed 06-Jul-16 19:56:10

daphnedil

I have read it ! How would I know she mentions the word Zio as I mentioned in my post 13.09 , a word used which we discussed in the Anti - Semitism in the Labour Party and Universities thread.

confused