Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Media fuelling division

(37 Posts)
Joelsnan Wed 29-Jun-16 00:39:02

My local newspaper is tweeting a headline Babyboomers votie for Brexit will this result in poverty for today's young families.
Firstly I find this generalisation wrong and the fear inducing factor of the supposition fuelling division.
Secondly I have seen calls from more than one newspaper calling for anyone who has suffered any racist comment since last week to contact them, I find any true xenophobia or racism really distasteful and feel it should be stamped on immediately. Shouldn't the media be advising anyone suffering to contact the police, rather than hover like vultures looking for something to inflame divisions further, sadly these issues have been occurring since mass immigration started last century, why sensationalise it now.
I get a sense that the media is on some sort of mission to whip up and fuel anxiety and division within the population and I wonder why?

rosesarered Wed 29-Jun-16 20:08:21

Good post Joelsnan

M0nica Wed 29-Jun-16 20:06:55

How many European countries have you lived in Rubysmoke?

Joelsnan Wed 29-Jun-16 20:04:12

Rubysmoke well said. I too made my decision without any reference to the media, switched over when party political broadcasts were made indeed towards the end stopped watching or listening to the news. My decision had been made long before the campaign started having followed the UKs struggled with the EU almost since joining the common market.
However since the referendum you cannot get away from blame, misery, pessimism, scaremongering on every media platform, Facebook, Twitter, tv, newspapers.
We are reinforcing the European perspective of UK as being a load of moaners. I wonder if the majority of moaners actually really understand what they are moaning about, this on both sides.
I wish media would kick start some optimism and 'we will succeed' attitude fo a change.

rubysmoke Wed 29-Jun-16 19:48:09

for the reason that I no longer trust or believe in most headlines these days, I no longer buy a paper. When I voted I relied on my knowledge of Europe(having lived there) and my own common sense. Did not listen to the news or broadcasts or any politician - just made my own mind up and will accept the vote and any consequences without screaming and ranting

M0nica Wed 29-Jun-16 18:27:14

I do not under estimate him . He does know exactly what he wants, makes it blindingly obvious, and no strategem is so low he will not sink lower.

However his greetest failing is hubris. We are getting it now with his denial that immigration played any part in voters' Brexit decisions, despite the way the Leave team played that card throughout the campaign and many voters saying quite explicitly that that was what decided their vote.

Badenkate Wed 29-Jun-16 18:23:52

There is a similarity between Boris and Trump in that they are both only concerned with advancing themselves and will say and do anything to achieve that end

rosesarered Wed 29-Jun-16 18:18:53

The media never lingers on good news does it? The markets and pound are already recovering, but that isn't considered newsworthy.

grandMattie Wed 29-Jun-16 17:43:24

DO NOT underestimate Boris. I think he just plays the buffoon and knows exactly what he's up to. A dangerous mix!
We need to bite the bullet, hope that the Tory party picks a good 'un for PM and go forward...

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 29-Jun-16 17:16:08

Actually I said "play the fool". I was quoting Shakespeare.

We shall see.

M0nica Wed 29-Jun-16 17:03:06

I didn't say he was a fool. Without doubt he is very clever, a quality he enjoys displaying, but there is far more to intelligence than getting a First at Oxford or being able to quote Greek and Latin.

Intelligence requires the ability to understand your opponents, to have the skill to act in a subtle and nuanced way, to move them in your direction and more broadly, to have a hinterland of wider interests to bring perspective to your life. Something that most politicians have lacked since politics became a profession.

Boris's calculaltions before opting to join the Leave campaign were transparent, as has been the way he has backed off from many Leave pledges since. His blatant lie telling during the campaign lacked subtlty in a way that showed a visible contempt for the electorate. It was not what he did but the way that he did it that showed his lack of intelligence.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 29-Jun-16 16:51:30

to

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 29-Jun-16 16:50:53

Boris is very intelligent. "wise enough o play the fool" perhaps?

Beammeupscottie Wed 29-Jun-16 16:48:33

Thank you MOnica. They have both gathered a big populist vote. It is so funny that they both have hair the media constantly go on about. Both are right-wingers looking for the vote of ordinary people.

M0nica Wed 29-Jun-16 16:41:36

I disagree, Boris is clever (but not intelligent) Trump is not.

But when it comes to be prepared to mouthing populist views without considering the truth or effect of what they say they do have much in common. Similarly I think both in power would tend to shoot their mouths and make policy on the hoof and while both seem very good at scheming neither has the patience or tenacity to take part in the nuanced carefully negotiation that is so essential in international affairs.

If we have to have Brexit, Boris is the last person I would want to have negotiating it, he would rub everyone up the wrong way and we would get the worst of terms.

Anya Wed 29-Jun-16 15:05:48

I'm in danger of agreeing with you jingl - total codswallop.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 29-Jun-16 14:52:31

I agree with grandMattie. Time to move on to the next bit. But we must hold our nerve and put this country before the needs of the EU.

If Brexit does turn out to be contagious, then they must handle it.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 29-Jun-16 14:48:16

Unless you just mean looks. But even then....

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 29-Jun-16 14:47:34

That is total codswallop!!!

Beammeupscottie Wed 29-Jun-16 14:46:22

What frightens me is the similarity between Boris and Trump,
Tweedledum and Tweedledee went to fight a battle.

varian Wed 29-Jun-16 14:37:47

Boris and Gove, leading lights of the Leave campaign were both journalists. Boris got sacked by The Times for telling lies.

Luckygirl Wed 29-Jun-16 14:34:10

The media love all this and seek out racist demonstrations to whip up a frenzy - a dirty profession indeed.

varian Wed 29-Jun-16 14:27:57

I don't think we'll ever get back to square one. We'll never get back to what we had this time last week, which was not perfect but could have been changed for the better.

We have lost the goodwill of our friends and allies. It is not just the pound which has plummeted, Britain's reputation has sunk to the pits.

We are not all UKIP voters, racist thugs or gullible readers of the Sun but sadly that is the way we will be seen from now on

Beammeupscottie Wed 29-Jun-16 14:21:57

Sorry Mattie. I feel that if you believe in something you need to confront and fight for it. Don' ever lie down because the other side has then won.
Cameron has said he wants trade agreements and I think we will have them but at a price. I shall laugh if that price is free movement of people which means back to square one.

varian Wed 29-Jun-16 14:03:02

The Sun, Britain's most popular newspaper, has a huge burden of responsibility for whipping up hatred - but now see what it says today

www.lbc.co.uk/james-obrien-slays-the-sun-over-racism-hypocrisy-132968

Who could possibly say that the media has not fuelled hatred?

Sheilasue Wed 29-Jun-16 13:55:26

Feel like our country is in a terrible turmoil what with Brexit Cammeron going and trying to get Corbyn to leave it's awful such a lot of uncertenty