Gransnet forums

News & politics

Michael Gove is now standing

(176 Posts)
petitpois Thu 30-Jun-16 09:09:25

for Tory leadership. Heaven help us... Not too surprising I suppose.

Alice16 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:32:47

If Gove became PM it would be Sarah Vine and the Daily Mail running the country. He is just a puppet.

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 10:33:13

Et tu, Theresa? Seems the knives are out for Boris.

Theresa May: I'm more of a negotiator with EU than Boris
Posted at 10:01

Theresa May concedes that immigration was a key issue during the EU referendum, and taking a swipe at Boris Johnson, says the last time he negotiated with the EU, he came back with "three nearly new water canons".

StaffordStag Thu 30-Jun-16 10:33:45

Know that if you want a voice in the next leader of the Conservative Party and by extension PM then by being a member of it you may get a chance (small admittedly) to vote on who it will be. Until Friday last week I was not a member of the Conservative Party or indeed any other political party but for £25 I've got myself a voice in the future direction of this country. I'm only intending to be member for this year as I don't care too much for their policies and certainly as for Gove being our next PM well!!!!
This must be grand opportunity for teachers to tell Gove what they think of him and what he has done to education in this country.
If you want that chance then visit the Conservatives Website (www.conservatives.com/join) and pay your £25 - could be money well spent. It's quite painless as I have been through the process.
And then think about the Labour party leadership crisis as well. You could have a say in that battle by joining their party as well.
Democracy in action be an active part of it.

Lillie Thu 30-Jun-16 10:38:07

I love his dog! Actually, maybe it could stand for leadership. Better than a lot of them!

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 10:40:36

It's more than that with Gove, Alice.

He's an arrogant idealogue with a very clear idea of what he wants. When he was Education Secretary he just didn't listen to anybody and went ahead with what HE believed was right, even though people told him what the consequences would be. We're now seeing those consequences - academy chains with executives on £200,000+ salaries committing fraud, faith schools closed down for extremism, curriculum and exam changes which are damaging pupils' education, teachers leaving in droves, unqualified teachers (such as Lord Nash's daughter) writing curriculum plans, the purchase of whole schemes from America, etc etc. He was warned. Even Michael Wilshaw, the Head of Ofsted, warned him, but he called them the 'blob' - experts who know nothing.

Badenkate Thu 30-Jun-16 10:43:00

My analysis for what it's worth: Tory MPs will select 2 candidates to put forward to the membership and in this situation they need to be two heavyweight politicians. Many do not want BJ and Michael Gove gives them the opportunity to get BJ off the 2 candidate list so that BJ - who everyone says is a favourite with Tory voters - cannot get elected.

I have friends living in MG's constituency who went to one of his meetings and said he was weird and obnoxious - and they, I would imagine, ard Tory voters. Well, they read the Telegraph anyway shock

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 10:51:17

My money's on May. (As ever, I wish I'd been brave enough to put a few pounds on her weeks ago.)

cavaliermum Thu 30-Jun-16 11:00:57

Teresa May is in now!
My vote was for Boris but not now
Mrs May all the way ....

Tegan Thu 30-Jun-16 11:09:06

I really wanted Gove or Johnson to become PM just so that people might realise what muppets they are but, for the good of the country it has to be Theresa May.If Boris has been in the remain camp he would be almost certain to be the next party leader. Silly man.

AlieOxon Thu 30-Jun-16 11:09:33

I will update my previous comment:
BREXIT - it sounded like a CHEAP MORNING CEREAL before it happened
is now an INCREDIBLE DAILY SERIAL..........(OMG.)

crun Thu 30-Jun-16 11:12:54

^"He's just a joke. Who's going to vote for him?!"

50% of the Johnson vote, hopefully. grin

Jane10 Thu 30-Jun-16 11:16:55

Is that another joke crun! I liked your one about Farage btw -he makes Britain grate!

spabbygirl Thu 30-Jun-16 11:17:25

Anyone standing in front of that deceitful bus is tainted in my opinion. They said whatever was needed to get the votes they wanted and sod the truth. The calculation should have said we get some of that money back and the rest of it goes on things we all benefit from, even aid to foreign countries.

Gove is to education what Hunt is to health, they just railroad through some plan written on the back of an envelope and we see the consequences now with huge salaries and other problems for academies.

I don't like any Tories, but May is the least tainted, in my opinion. She's been a very skilful negotiator over the past few months by keeping out of the way.

I'm voting Labour for next PM, I like Angela Eagle, I'm fed up with having old Etonians in the driving seat.

lizzypopbottle Thu 30-Jun-16 11:26:39

As usual, the press erm.... press their own interpretation of things like the word 'we' in the leaked email. If she'd used the word 'you' they would've been even more pleased!

crun Thu 30-Jun-16 11:35:04

I just thought that if they split their vote between them Theresa May will get in, Jane.

TrishTopcat Thu 30-Jun-16 11:42:04

I think this says how little Boris is trusted, even by those who work closest with him. Boris is not a team player and has a track record of dishonesty and changing his mind depending on where he thinks his own interests lie. I hope he doesn't win the Leadership election. Personally, I would like to see Theresa May win, she would be a stabilising influence at a time of flux, and she's very capable

moxeyns Thu 30-Jun-16 11:43:29

Well, looks like a second woman PM, then. Hopefully.

And I really think we need a snap election.

Blinko Thu 30-Jun-16 11:47:05

For my money there were two Tory women who stood out in the debates up to Brexit: Andrea Leadsom and Ruth Davidson. The Labour contingent seems to be in such a mess I've completely lost patience with them.

What a shambles!

Tegan Thu 30-Jun-16 11:51:44

I'm slowly emerging from the state of shock that I've been in for the past week. Had the referendum been faught using facts I would accept the leave vote and do whatever I can to make it work. But I cant get over the lies ,deceit hatred and racism that I have witnessed. That bus and it's slogan is imprinted in my brain and I'll never get over it (along with NF's refugee poster).I wake up each morning realising that the country I thought I lived in is now changed forever (in my mind, at least).It feels like some sort of bereavement.

suzied Thu 30-Jun-16 11:57:58

Haha just heard Boris' speech!

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 11:59:42

So now he's not standing! I bet that's a relief to him. In his first speech after the result, he looked as though he'd been handed a bag of dog poo.

Riverwalk Thu 30-Jun-16 12:00:38

I don't know how much political excitement a girl can take!

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 12:01:23

But Liam Fox is standing!

Shouldn't this be musical chairs?

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 12:02:47

grin riverwalk.

Do you think they're putting this on as an entertainment show to take our mind off the last week?

Tegan Thu 30-Jun-16 12:03:52

So he's not prepared to get us out of the mess he's got us into??