Gransnet forums

News & politics

Shock exit from Boris!

(120 Posts)
threesugars Thu 30-Jun-16 12:14:06

That's all I know so far but apparently he will no longer be running. I'm scared to go make some lunch and taking my eye off the news for a minute!

suzied Sun 03-Jul-16 09:33:05

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3668972/If-charlatan-sexual-adventurer-Prime-Minister-d-emigrated-says-former-boss-MAX-HASTINGS.html

anyone who still thinks Boris a decent chap should read this by his former boss in the Dmail.

daphnedill Sat 02-Jul-16 19:46:08

The best GP I have ever had was a doctor from Rumania, whose qualifications weren't accepted in the UK, so she had to work as a care assistant then redo her medical qualifications as a doctor.

daphnedill Sat 02-Jul-16 19:43:56

Strangely enough the German press often has articles about the UK getting the cream of immigrants.

JessM Sat 02-Jul-16 19:42:13

And he presided over the housing crisis that has developed in London on his watch. No idea at all why any working class person would think him other than a posh ****.
Eastern Europe is not in the main "exporting unskilled labour". It is true that the majority of EU migrants are doing unskilled jobs in coffee shops, hotels etc but if you chat to them you discover that they more often than not have degrees. They have, or are developing excellent English which will help them to further their careers when they return home. I can only assume that in the SE they are willing to live in extremely cramped accommodation while giving us the benefit of their work and taxes.
Others come and do seasonal agricultural work and then go away when it is no longer in season. East Anglian farmers would not be able to get their produce to the supermarkets without their work, as they cannot get UK nationals to do it.

M0nica Sat 02-Jul-16 16:50:30

Ruth, what is the evidence for your statements about people who live in the south of England?

Why should northerners so fancy a lying duplicitous man who seems to have been sacked from every job he has ever had? Usually for lying to his employers.

Speak to many Londoners and they will tell you that, while he was great at collecting the headlines, he was less good at delivering the goods, which is why Labour and Sadiq Khan won the recent mayorial election despite Labour doing dismally badly elsewhere.

suzied Sat 02-Jul-16 16:07:24

Ruth- I don't know how you can think old Etonian Londoner millionaire Boris wonderful and then criticise people in the south east for having no idea about anywhere else . Didn't he have to apologise to Liverpool for one of his crass statements. He didn't "step up to the plate" did he as his lies would be exposed. Not all folk in the south east live in £million houses, you know we have a lot of deprived areas here too, food banks, migrants, poor housing , people on benefits just like everywhere else. It's such divisiveness that got us into this mess

Tegan Sat 02-Jul-16 15:55:48

Think the greedy rich have probably done quite well playing the markets over the past few days. The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer and, as ever the ones in the middle will pick up the pieces.Boris really was a beacon of hope for the poor wasn't he?

daphnedill Sat 02-Jul-16 15:54:29

I agree with you about the attitude of some people in the South, Ruth, but how do you think leaving the EU has helped? I really can't see that it has or will.

PS. I come from Merseyside (in the North West), which voted Remain. Maybe Boris doesn't go down well with Scouser humour. hmm

Ruth1958 Sat 02-Jul-16 15:48:49

Boris would have stepped up to the plate! Real working folks in the north west and east really like him. Folks in the south have no idea what's going on elsewhere in the uk just concerned that a nought might drop off their house price. Quite disgusting the way the south thinks everything should belong to them and that they are the brains , not so . I really hope the greed will cease and a good leader emerges who will ensure work all over the uk. Can't say I can see Brits rushing to work in Poland, Romania etc where 50% of their young are unemployed, fair work for uk young and let these other countries in Europe help their young to build a future enriching their countries to aspire to more than exporting unskilled labour to the uk and making the greedy rich richer through exploitation!

Anniebach Sat 02-Jul-16 14:43:36

Aristocracy, Just by being in the Lords, you jest surely Jelima

Tegan Sat 02-Jul-16 14:37:55

And by refusing a peerage would then not be able to influence political events. The Kinnock's have got to where they are by sheer hard work not nepotism.Whatever people in the Labour Party do it seems to give people ammunition to shoot at them.

Jalima Sat 02-Jul-16 14:12:40

It is ironic, isn't it, how so many Labour politicians succumb to the 'aristocracy' they profess to despise and use nepotism to further their families' aims!

I bet Jeremy would refuse point blank to accept elevation to the House of Lords. I have to admire him for that (I'll eat my hat if he does accept a peerage!).

daphnedill Sat 02-Jul-16 13:31:24

I wonder how many coal miners thought their son would end up as an MP, leader of the Labour Party, an EU commissioner and a lord with a grand daughter-in-law as a Prime Minister?

Was Kinnock supposed to stop when he got to a certain level (for being above his station) while old Etonians get a free ticket?

Christinefrance Sat 02-Jul-16 13:23:55

Think Theresa May has the experience and steadiness which is needed at this time, there are always compromises to be made.
See Lord Kinnock is putting his oar in now he is off the gravy train.

Candelle Fri 01-Jul-16 23:01:35

Theresa May, hopefully. I understand she is held in high regard by those working with her in the Home Office. She is bright, diligent and actually has the country's best interests at heart, unlike many of the other 'candidates', moat of whom have only been thinking of their own career paths.

What a mess this country is now in.

Deedaa Fri 01-Jul-16 22:59:12

Oh thank you Hooty Nearly as good as slapping the real thing, which is something I've wanted to do for a long time grin

JessM Fri 01-Jul-16 21:08:58

Thank you for that summary Bluecat and please, please, PLP get your act together so that we can start fighting back!

HootyMcOwlface Fri 01-Jul-16 18:59:33

Very satisfying isn't it grannyactivist ! I keep going back to give him a few more slaps! grin Time for another visit I think!!

Tegan Fri 01-Jul-16 18:45:06

She describes herself as a 'reluctant remainer' now, so that's how honest she is. Kept quiet so she could hedge her bets.

grannyactivist Fri 01-Jul-16 18:44:19

Hooty grin grin

NonnaAnnie Fri 01-Jul-16 18:40:08

Gove reminds me of Kaa in Jungle Book.

Bluecat Fri 01-Jul-16 18:23:26

Let's not get too carried away about Theresa May. She is no moderate humanitarian. In fact, she is politically to the right of Boris. She was the person responsible for the "Go home" posters aimed at migrants, she has made a number of anti-immigration speeches were have played their part in inflaming the current racist atmosphere that pollutes our communities today, and she wanted to take us out of the European Convention for Human Rights. She was also responsible for the £35,000 per year earnings requirement for migrants who have lived here for more than 5 years. That is going to hit a lot of Europeans working, for instance, for the NHS, when the UK no longer belongs to the EU and they lose their right to live here.

I think she'll win but I have a feeling of dread, particularly when someone said she would be "a second Mrs Thatcher." Oh, my God...Not that any of the others are any better.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 01-Jul-16 18:01:32

Have a go at this. Just wish there was a Boris one, a David Cameron one and a Theresa May one!

games.usvsth3m.com/slap-michael-gove/

Ana Fri 01-Jul-16 17:48:38

Untie? Well, perhaps, yes - the wrongs wrought by the men! grin

MammaN Fri 01-Jul-16 17:47:47

Sounds good to me Christinefrance