Gransnet forums

News & politics

The New Cabinet

(364 Posts)
Gracesgran Wed 13-Jul-16 19:44:20

GO has resigned from the government
Philip Hammond appointed Chancellor

JessM Wed 13-Jul-16 21:58:10

This reads like "We loved every moment of your stay in the Big Brother House and here, Boris, are you best bits: www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/7-reasons-boris-johnson-probably-8416540

There is also the theory that she will send him on a LOT of foreign trips.

Gracesgran Wed 13-Jul-16 22:14:29

We could take bets on how long he will be there ...

daphnedill Wed 13-Jul-16 22:30:44

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when May gave BJ the job. I wonder if she warned him to behave himself...and not to buy any more water cannons.

It's quite a clever move, because he was going on about all these fantastic new deals we'll have. Now he's going to have to negotiate them! And he probably won't have much time for his journalism.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 13-Jul-16 22:47:33

I can't even begin to imagine how the conversation went daphne! shock Did laugh about the water cannons though. grin

Wonder what the atmosphere is like in the Gove household tonight? Sarah Vine's next DM column could be interesting. wink

Galen Wed 13-Jul-16 22:48:11

I suspect she knows he'll write himself off

merlotgran Wed 13-Jul-16 22:51:53

Sarah Vine's next DM column could be interesting.

That's if she still has a job.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 13-Jul-16 22:56:32

Indeed.

Just read a comment on the DM website

Hammond and May - when is Clarkson coming back? grin

suzied Thu 14-Jul-16 06:42:17

Boris's job will be to host cocktail parties, not to do any negotiating, as she's got Fox and Davis to do that . Let's hope he spends a lot of time in Abu Dhabi.

Anya Thu 14-Jul-16 06:58:31

Brilliant move giving Boris that post. Let the hard-headed Fox and Davie do the negotiating and Boris undo Farage's 'you're not laughing now' damage. Just the man for the genial approach.

Jane10 Thu 14-Jul-16 06:59:38

Wilma grin good one!

thatbags Thu 14-Jul-16 07:10:25

I think TM is starting how she means to go on: boldly, with a sock it to 'em attitude. I'm rather enjoying it and hope it continues.

Here's a prediction I may come to regret: you never know, Boris may even surprise us in a good way. As TM said, he can speak French and he's strong on history.

suzied Thu 14-Jul-16 07:17:44

And he's got a history of being very undiplomatic, spends a lot of time apologising to people.

Marmight Thu 14-Jul-16 07:19:03

I too think Boris will surprise us. May even surprise himself. He just needs to take his hands out of his pockets, smarten up and get on with it. Despite his Joker image, I think he's a fairly smart cookie. Only time will tell ...

BlueBelle Thu 14-Jul-16 07:34:44

Gosh I m hearing it all now Boris Johnson ' a good cookie' I even heard some woman on to say he had loads of charisma I believe I drank from the large bottle fell down the black hole and bumped into Tweedle 'Dumb'

suzied Thu 14-Jul-16 07:35:11

I am sure he will be good at all those embassy parties with the Ferrero Rocher.

Grannyknot Thu 14-Jul-16 07:49:37

Funny joke via Twitter 're Boris: She wrote "F.Off" next to his name and it was misinterpreted.

Jane10 Thu 14-Jul-16 08:06:40

Ah, that would explain it Grannyknot grin

whitewave Thu 14-Jul-16 08:16:41

He is the most undiplomatic MP for the most diplomatic post. Johnson needs some schooling in how to behave.

Anya Thu 14-Jul-16 08:24:01

Ever heard the story of the elephant and the four blind men???

whitewave Thu 14-Jul-16 08:28:41

Hammonds maturity stands in sharp contrast to Osborne, as does indeed Mays to Cameron's. I was always of the opinion that the Eton crew were too young and inexperienced. They had the confidence of youth but couldn't make match it with experience. Their term in government showed this in the chaos and empty spin.

Gracesgran Thu 14-Jul-16 08:56:41

Have to agree whitewave and love the joke grannyknot grin

Thinking about it overnight - well not, but you know what I mean, she has been incredibly brave. He will either come up to the mark - if he is capable - or he will be his stupid, arrogant self who thinks he can get away with being a buffoon and she will sack him having given him his chance. Let's just hope he doesn't do any damage in the processsad

Anniebach Thu 14-Jul-16 08:58:39

Who will get health

whitewave Thu 14-Jul-16 09:00:16

Sarah Wollestone?

Ginny42 Thu 14-Jul-16 09:00:21

Just when we thought the nightmare was receding...Johnson the most undiplomatic politician in charge of diplomacy. What lunacy is this? No wonder the world this morning is thinking the Brits are 'avin a larf'.

annsixty Thu 14-Jul-16 09:01:56

Perhaps a comedian will do well with all the other diplomats. Perhaps not. But lots of lovely foreign travel. Hope the stories of his" economy with the truth" hasn't spread outside GB.