Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mr. Theresa May

(14 Posts)
Grannyknot Thu 14-Jul-16 07:29:58

A very amusing tongue-in-cheek article in the Metro this morning, here's an extract:

"Theresa May became Britain’s new prime minister, but her husband’s big fashion moment stole the show.

Stepping into the limelight as First Man, Philip May showcased a sexy navy suit with a flourish of pinstripe.

A single fastened button at the waist helped show off his fantastic figure and a pale blue tie brought out the colour of his eyes.

Round glasses perched on his nose accentuated his amazing bone structure – no doubt one of the assets he used to help him to bag his wife."

I've been enjoying the way he smiles all the time, let's hope he keeps it up.

Jane10 Thu 14-Jul-16 07:52:40

Poor man. He's got all this sort of thing to look forward to. I did enjoy the spoof 'writings' of Denis Thatcher. Wonder if Private Eye will start something like that about Mr May? Hope so.

whitewave Thu 14-Jul-16 08:13:05

He seems quite self effacing. Not sure he is a party type!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 14-Jul-16 09:25:42

Didn't take long for the idiots to crawl out of the woodwork did it. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 14-Jul-16 09:28:08

I meant the journalists, of course.

Anniebach Thu 14-Jul-16 09:37:13

I found it funny, think how wives of PM's have been subjected to criticism in the press for their clothes, hair etc

Anya Thu 14-Jul-16 09:40:43

I'm sure he can take it!

Stansgran Thu 14-Jul-16 10:15:18

Yes we're all in for analysis of what TM is wearing . On the plus side for her she could always get away with bad news by popping on her leopard skin stilettos. I feel like groaning now.
Deborah Ross had a good go at all this the other day.

michellehargreaves Thu 14-Jul-16 10:20:31

He won't be subject to the drivel that is usually written about the wives of politicians. I know far more about Michelle Obama's "toned arms" and her "quirky personal style" than I ever wanted to know. However, Teresa May will now be commented on for every choice of garment, not just her leopard skin shoes.
Having said that, I thought her outfits and demeanour, over the last couple of days, we're faultless. ☺

Rosina Thu 14-Jul-16 10:43:40

I feel a sense of relief that TM has made it to Number 10. All other considerations aside, she seems to have dignity, determination and the right level of gravitas to stand on the world stage. I do like Boris, but the thought of his negotiating with Plutin was a little bit worrying. Not quite responding to the topic of the thread, I know, but felt a need to say this - sorry!

GranE Thu 14-Jul-16 13:54:53

Full marks to the Metro for avoiding the Daily Mail-style obsession with the appearance of female public figures and doing such a good natured send-up of this type of so-called journalism........ at least, I presume it was a spoof?!

rosesarered Thu 14-Jul-16 14:49:12

Like Dennis Thatcher, Mr May could be stocking the drinks cabinet with large bottles of gin as we speak.grin

rosesarered Thu 14-Jul-16 14:50:48

Rosina.....Boris may enjoy an arm wrestle with Putin, should he ever be sent to meet him.?

Jane10 Thu 14-Jul-16 20:13:18

They'll probably get on like a house on fire. Nothing would surprise me in politics these days!