Gransnet forums

News & politics

Austerity is a myth.

(109 Posts)
Parliament100 Sat 16-Jul-16 14:44:16

Austerity is just a media tag, the reality is that since Thatcher the right wing Tory's have initiated an ideological attack on all the social improvements built up by the Labour Government after WW2, and what's worse Thatcher, Cameron, and Osborne have got away with it..

Parliament100 Sat 16-Jul-16 19:00:25

Ana, the Labour party are busy trying to shake of Blairism/Thatcherism, thanks to Tony Blair.

Anniebach Sat 16-Jul-16 19:05:18

Thank you Devogilla. I hadn't heard of the Brighton suspension. I was unsure after the performance of Corbyn if it wasn't best to leave the party, then decided no, we fought back before we can do it again , we have to

Ana Sat 16-Jul-16 19:05:43

Sorry, Annie, what are you on about...? hmm

nigglynellie Sat 16-Jul-16 19:08:14

The Labour party is trying to commit political suicide. They seem hellbent on ensuring that they won't get back to power till God knows when which is disaster for the party and not good to put it mildly for democracy.

phoenix Sat 16-Jul-16 19:08:16

Are you a new member,*Parliament 100* ?

If so, welcome and please God that you won't only be doing political threads!

Parliament100 Sat 16-Jul-16 19:09:45

phoenix, thanks for the welcome...

phoenix Sat 16-Jul-16 19:11:04

BTW in this house austerity is definitely NOT a myth, so stick that up your blouse!

Anniebach Sat 16-Jul-16 19:27:16

The winter of discontent Ana, some seemed to think it happened in 1883 , but it didn't

Jalima Sat 16-Jul-16 19:33:49

grin

Percent - I remember it well!

Ana Sat 16-Jul-16 19:34:40

The winter of discontent was 1978 this was followed in 1883 by Percent, Got it now?

Doesn't make sense to me. What's 'Percent'?

wot Sat 16-Jul-16 19:36:44

Parliament100 Sat 16-Jul-16 19:38:50

David Cameron and George Osborne are using the deficit as a cover to dismantle all the Social improvements built up by the Labour Government after WW2. It is an ideological agenda. And what’s worse it began under Margaret Thatcher’s Premiership over 30 years ago. This agenda has nothing to do with costs. This is a smokescreen!

The very fabric of the role of what the State should provide in tax payers money to welfare, services and State pensions, is being whittled away under cover of reducing the deficit....

The Tory mantra of making painful cuts to reduce the deficit is little more than a smoke screen they hide behind to implement their ideology of reducing the size of the State, driving down wages, cutting benefits ect.

My guess is that they'd make pretty much the same decisions for ideological reasons even if there wasn't a deficit.

The cynic in me says how easy it is for the right wing comfortably well off, greed infested Tory supporters to ridicule and chastise people on the receiving end of Tory cuts in welfare. And how equally easy it is for the right wing press to encourage this, just to sell their papers.

The Thatcherist, hard line, anti social policies the Tory's are forcing on us all makes them feel superior. And they perpetuate the suffering while living in their comfy homes without a conscience.

The Tory's pretend to care about the pensioners having to choose between heating, or eating, the Tory's pretend to care about the family's wondering how they are going to feed their children today and tomorrow.

The Tory's since Thatcher have been the same !

No longer a small "c" left of centre Conservative party with a good social conscience.

No, since the 80's they have been ultra right wing, hardnosed, and with no compassion but to condemn the poor to a life of misery and no hope so long as they can live in relative luxury.

This is how they want it, to keep the masses under their eternal control. The Tories only aim is power and control.

For that reason the Tories love it when the economy is bad, so bad that they blame the masses of poor for it. It is malicious and insidious.

And what makes it even more appalling is that the Tories actually do believe they are superior intellectually to everybody else.

Food banks in 21st century Britain, is as bad as the chronic homelessness we have, the awful old age poverty, and the low waged economy the Tories have nurtured throughout their 18 years of running Britain, 1979- 1997, and I might add, New Labour under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, 1997- 2010, did nothing fundamental to reverse any of it.

Britain has suffered Thatcher's ideology for over 30 years. And the pensioners and the low waged workers are being screwed.

Jalima Sat 16-Jul-16 19:39:44

I think it was when the interest rates went up so our mortgages took up the main part of our incomes, if we had a mortgage.

Ana Sat 16-Jul-16 19:41:39

What, in 1883? confused

Parliament100 Sat 16-Jul-16 19:45:57

janeainsworth, this just it dear, I dont think we all know it at all. ..

Jalima Sat 16-Jul-16 19:47:34

hmm perhaps not ..... we didn't have a mortgage in those days

Karl Marx died?
Clement Attlee was born
John Maynard Keynes was born

Jalima Sat 16-Jul-16 19:49:28

what's that acronym when you cba to read it all, sorry Parliament100, if you could precis it I would have a go.

No, not a newcomer phoenix, I think I remember a poster with a similar name

Jalima Sat 16-Jul-16 19:52:34

phoenix
www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/a1217385-The-main-problems-of-England-as-I-see-things

and other threads

Anniebach Sat 16-Jul-16 19:53:23

Again, apologies for hitting wrong keys, I have explained and apologised several times for a problem with my sight , 1983 ELECTION,

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 16-Jul-16 19:54:12

Are we there yet, because I am confused and want to get off this bus. grin

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 16-Jul-16 19:55:22

Thanks AB, I didn't know you had problems.

Jalima Sat 16-Jul-16 19:55:50

Sorry, shouldn't tease, only meant kindly flowers

BUT it was interesting to find out what happened in 1883 I must say, so thank you anniebach

Jalima Sat 16-Jul-16 19:56:57

that's the thing about GN, it sends you off down avenues you never thought to explore.

It's not just Pokemon or whatever it's called.

nigglynellie Sat 16-Jul-16 19:57:25

Well unless the Labour party pulls itself together asap, I'm afraid your doomful assessment Parliament100 will be with us for donkeys years! The country won't vote for JC and momentum that's for sure!!

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 16-Jul-16 20:01:23

I realised it was 1983, but couldn't work out what word percent was meant to be - sorted now. As you were. wink