Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sad news about Terry Jones

(37 Posts)
granoffour Fri 23-Sep-16 15:08:23

He has been diagnosed with a severe variant of dementia. sad

granjura Mon 26-Sep-16 21:33:57

EUTHANASIA in Switzerland is NOT legal, AT ALL - btw- but assisted death (suicide if you want to call it) is. A MASSIVE difference.

granjura Mon 26-Sep-16 21:32:54

Thanks. I really do not agree about it being State Sanctioned just because it is legal. The State has no part in it, and it is totally self decided and self controlled, but with support from trained volunteers- who go to great lengths to ensure it is exactly what you want and that there is no pressure from outside sources. The tipping point is where the individual put it- in a context of unberable suffering, terminal illness or loss of dignity which is unbearable.

Riverwalk Mon 26-Sep-16 19:15:14

I was referring to the situation in Switzerland where euthanasia is legal, therefore state-sanctioned.

I'm well aware of the differences between Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, but PD sufferers can suffer from cognitive impairment and I was querying as to when the 'tipping' point would be.

Truly.

granjura Sun 25-Sep-16 20:29:22

How is it State Sanctionned ???

Parkinson's is a very different disease to dementia or Alzheimers, truly.

Riverwalk Sun 25-Sep-16 19:30:31

As a nurse I see a number of patients who have Parkinson's Disease, with varying levels of cognitive impairment. Some are seemingly totally with-it and still running a professional career or business, and others at various stages down the line.

Nothing is black and white - this is why I have problems with the concept of state-sanctioned euthanasia.

One chap I know, now 86, was diagnosed 10 years ago and has lived a very good life since, even with mild dementia - who knows when he will eventually 'tip' onto the other side.

granjura Sun 25-Sep-16 19:03:53

And that is the problem, as said- it would have to be carried out asap- in other words too early as, as you say, dementia or Alzheimer's patients can live well for quite some time. Tragic, but as said, for me and many, much better than the alternative.

gillybob Sun 25-Sep-16 17:40:15

I loved The life of Brian too Jane10 and I loved Mrs Browns Boys . A bit rude but very funny.

grannylyn65 Sun 25-Sep-16 17:18:51

Absolutely gj

Riverwalk Sun 25-Sep-16 16:52:24

Yes but having given consent does that mean it's to be acted upon immediately?

Many dementia patients, especially those diagnosed early, live well for a number of years.

When would it be executed, so to speak?

granjura Sun 25-Sep-16 16:44:14

Sadly that means that you have to give consent early- too early- at the time of diagnosis or soon after. Once you are no longer compus mentis, it is too late.

This is the last big battle for EXIT Switzerland- to find a way where you can have a living will that covers a set number of conditions you can choose to trigger EXIT. But for me, leaving too early would be much better than leaving too late - I've seen the alternative.

Riverwalk Sun 25-Sep-16 16:39:02

granjura what is the situation in Switzerland regarding dementia patients and euthanasia - how would you give consent, for oneself?

granjura Sun 25-Sep-16 16:24:19

Makes me very very grateful that if it ever happened to me, I'd have the choice here to say 'good bye' before the 'is' becomes 'was' ... I wouldn't want to see it out- nor impose it on my loved ones.

grannylyn65 Sun 25-Sep-16 16:19:59

He is still 'is' not 'was'

Falconbird Sun 25-Sep-16 16:16:08

Someone told me that Life of Brian was banned in towns that didn't have cinemas. grin

ajanela Sun 25-Sep-16 06:15:46

When I clicked on this thread I thought it was about how sad when we hear some one close to us has been diagnosed with a degenerative illness not just Terry Jones and Monty Python.

I find it devastating so many friends are "fading" plus the toll on whoever is looking after them, if anyone. It is also disturbing that being born a baby boomer I am now in the "ageing boomers" group and won't get such good benefits (not referring to money) as I did as a baby boomer.

Deedaa Sat 24-Sep-16 21:20:08

We were living in Cornwall when it first came out and it was banned there for a long time.

rubylady Sat 24-Sep-16 13:03:54

Yes Deedaa a very firm family favourite. It was first on at the cinema alongside Airplane! A very funny afternoon's viewing. grin

Charleygirl Fri 23-Sep-16 22:30:35

I also have never heard of him but there again I have never watched Life of Brian, Ripping Yarns, Monty Python,and whatever else he was in.

It is a horrid disease and I do feel sorry for him and his family.

Deedaa Fri 23-Sep-16 22:09:29

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" Very sad news about someone who was such a great communicator. He was at the next table to us in an Italian restaurant in the 60's and seemed such an intelligent and entertaining person.

grumppa Fri 23-Sep-16 21:11:59

And he wrote a very good book about Chaucer's Knight.

Linsco56 Fri 23-Sep-16 21:00:01

This is sad. He was great as part of the Python team and hilarious in Ripping Yarns.

Jane10 Fri 23-Sep-16 20:46:08

He was brilliant in the 'Life of Brian'- still makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Falconbird Fri 23-Sep-16 19:43:31

Didn't know about Terry Jones until I logged on to Grans Net.
He's made me laugh so much over the years in Monty Python.

It's so sad to hear of people within your age group falling ill. Somehow I thought they would be forever young.

nigglynellie Fri 23-Sep-16 19:37:51

Medieval lives was fabulous!

granjura Fri 23-Sep-16 19:35:03

Now Jane, Mrs Brown - absolutely and totally un-bea-ra-ble!

Such a shame about Terry- he was brilliant.