Gransnet forums

News & politics

We have an old phone box in our village and it’s used as a free library.....

(20 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Fri 12-Mar-21 17:02:55

So after reading about the village in Hampshire we went to check ours.
The 50shades of Grey trilogy is sitting there brazenly displayed.
Should we remove it??

kittylester Fri 12-Mar-21 17:11:11

No, it would be available in your library!

Blossoming Fri 12-Mar-21 17:14:10

It’s not to my taste, coercive control has never appealed to me, but if it’s popular with your customers then I’d leave it.

EllanVannin Fri 12-Mar-21 17:17:10

I'm afraid, with my sense of humour, and if the said library was/is in a sleepy village, I'd be laughing my head off.
Sounds like a Carry-on film. grin I can picture the pursed lips, then again they could be minx's on the quiet.

Emily49 Fri 12-Mar-21 17:17:12

That could be the thin end of the wedge, as it were - you’d then have to make judgements on every book as to whether they were racist, classist, anti women, anti men, etc etc.....

Emily49 Fri 12-Mar-21 17:18:48

I expect a lot goes on behind closed doors in ‘sleepy villages’ grin

PamelaJ1 Fri 12-Mar-21 17:40:31

I think that the charity shops stopped accepting thembecause they were inundated with them, so someone took the chance to get rid.
I’ll leave it for the library monitor to decide.
Knowing him they will be left in situ. ? it will be interesting to see how long they last.

Grandmabatty Fri 12-Mar-21 17:43:57

If you remove them, and are spotted, EVERYONE in the village will think you are reading them. ?

PamelaJ1 Fri 12-Mar-21 17:51:48

Grandmabatty

If you remove them, and are spotted, EVERYONE in the village will think you are reading them. ?

OMG well thought out. We will definitely not be touching them.?

Grandmabatty Fri 12-Mar-21 18:56:10

Pamela J1 ? you're welcome. Let sleeping dirty books lie.

Blondiescot Fri 12-Mar-21 19:00:15

No, why would you? That's censorship - and the thin end of the wedge? Who gets to decide what others should read? But, if you've not read them, I wouldn't bother - not for the subject matter, but just because they're so badly written!

Jaxjacky Fri 12-Mar-21 19:13:19

I’d be putting in a few racy novels, people might enjoy them!

Lollin Fri 12-Mar-21 19:24:01

I’d be concerned about the person who thought it okay for youngsters to discover

Blondiescot Fri 12-Mar-21 19:28:35

Lollin

I’d be concerned about the person who thought it okay for youngsters to discover

They've all got smartphones these days - there's a lot worse than Fifty Shades for them to discover right at their fingertips!

sodapop Fri 12-Mar-21 20:25:06

We had so many copies of this series of books donated to our library, I started reading the first one but it was such badly written clap trap I gave up.
Why are you censoring reading matter for your village PamelaJ

Tangerine Fri 12-Mar-21 20:29:25

I think PamelaJ1 was perhaps joking when she suggested moving the book.

I think the book should be left in the phone box. Someone will enjoy it possibly.

grandmajet Fri 12-Mar-21 20:44:35

It sounds like a plot from Midsummer Murders!

Lollin Fri 12-Mar-21 20:49:13

I lead a sheltered life blondiescot , assume parents have the latest safety apps on youngsters phones.

AmberSpyglass Fri 12-Mar-21 21:01:25

Why on earth would you remove it? It isn’t yours?

Blondiescot Fri 12-Mar-21 21:18:41

Lollin

I lead a sheltered life blondiescot , assume parents have the latest safety apps on youngsters phones.

Oh, I think many parents would be utterly horrified if they even knew a fraction of the stuff their kids access on their phones!