Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wales and Northern Ireland, they'll come after you next.

(7 Posts)
volver Sat 20-Aug-22 13:54:58

Words of wisdom from the man who still thinks Brexit was a good idea.

The devolution settlement is not written in stone. It has evolved – all in one direction – since 1999. It can evolve back, too.

the break-up of the country would be a massive national humiliation.

For you maybe, Frosty. True colours on show there.

12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2F2022%2F08%2F19%2Fsnp-has-defeated-not-appeased%2F

Pantglas2 Sat 20-Aug-22 14:02:47

I doubt Wales is in this position volver - our Labour First Minister is glued to Westminster (once Starmer wins of course)

volver Sat 20-Aug-22 14:04:21

But you do have devolution, I think? For now?

Parsley3 Sat 20-Aug-22 14:26:18

Dear old Frosty. I particularly like this part of his take on the Union.
Both the 1707 and 1801 Acts of Union fused the participants into one state in which all were equal, first “Great Britain”, then the “United Kingdom”, with one sovereign legal personality and one Parliament and government.

All the participants have never been equal. There is even a North/South divide in England. My preference is for devolution for all four nations with a federal government.
However, Frosty is serving the cause of Scottish Nationalism well by writing this jingoistic nonsense.

Casdon Sat 20-Aug-22 14:38:32

Given that there was a vote in each country for devolution, I doubt even the most diehard Tories would be brave enough to rescind the will of the people. This posturing is much more likely to turn people against them, whereas if they actually starting performing as a government they may have some chance of convincing some people that they would be better off led by Westminster.
I don’t agree with Pantglas about Wales being glued to Westminster if there was a Labour Government, I think the last few years have been a massive eye opener for a lot of Welsh people, we are no longer willing to be sheep in the wake of England and will continue to do things our own way.

Casdon Sat 20-Aug-22 14:40:05

PS I don’t think they have a clue what to do about Northern Ireland, the people there have been so badly let down, they seem to be stuck in the government’s ‘too hard’ box.

Parsley3 Sat 20-Aug-22 14:59:09

I would like Frosty to put forward a compelling argument for the benefits of staying in the Union.