Gransnet forums

News & politics

Using less electricity during peak hours scheme

(5 Posts)
LizzieDrip Tue 23-Aug-22 11:43:00

I’m interested in the proposed plan to ‘pay back’ energy consumers who use less electricity during peak times (5pm - 8pm I think). Very little detail has been put out as yet. I understand there was a pilot of the scheme by Octopus Energy. I realise it’s a long shot, but I wonder if any Gransnetters have experience of this and can give any feedback on it? How does it work? Is it possible to save much money? I know it’s only for households with smart meters (which I have).

Mollygo Tue 23-Aug-22 12:25:43

I don’t know much about it yet. It reminds me of Economy 7. What interest me is are they going to make all these empty buildings stand flooded with light all night pay extra for having them flooded with light all night?

ExDancer Tue 23-Aug-22 12:36:07

Good point Molly, our parish church looks lovely all floodlighted, but its not necessary is it.

Jaxjacky Tue 23-Aug-22 13:29:37

There is some detail here, it won’t help those who are worse off with pre payment meters though.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62626908

LizzieDrip Tue 23-Aug-22 14:28:28

Thanks Jax. Yes, as usual, it appears those most in need probably won’t benefit. Families with young children will find it difficult not to cook, watch TV etc between 5 and 8pm (assuming they can afford to cook anyway)sad I also think it’s an absolute disgrace that people with a pre-pay meter are charged more per KWH than the rest of the population. How can that be right???