Gransnet forums

News & politics

This is Red 1, Go boys, go!

(8 Posts)
Joseanne Fri 26-Aug-22 07:55:03

Yes, I'm a huge fan of the Red Arrows! I've even broken my stay in France to watch them in my home time tonight. I can't wait!

But this year, despite the blue skies and clear conditions, there are dark clouds hanging over their naughty and toxic behaviour. I hope they don't get disbanded. What do you think?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62664654.amp

MawtheMerrier Fri 26-Aug-22 08:02:29

They’ve flown over here twice recently en route to something special and I do find them breathtaking.
But however special/highly skilled/death defying/entertaining or whatever, they are not exempt from the rules and discipline (including self discipline ) which apply to all our armed forces. I was disappointed to learn of their behaviour - they have let themselves down.

sodapop Fri 26-Aug-22 08:41:07

I agree Maw if the stories are to be believed then they need to be reminded they are still part of the armed services and not a law unto themselves.

Greyduster Fri 26-Aug-22 09:20:03

I, too, hope they don’t get disbanded. The Red Arrows are wonderful. I’ve seen them many times. I saw them fly at Chatsworth after one of their number had been recently killed in a crash. The formation was eight and a gap and it was very poignant to see it. There were many people in tears in the crowd, including me. But, as Maw rightly says, any kind of unacceptable behaviour of whatever kind, even in an elite outfit, needs to be weeded out and examples made. As for diversity, there are now an increasing number of female fighter pilots, I believe, in the RAF, and women in the upper echelons of all branches of the forces. It was particularly good to see so many women in Kings Troop Royal Horse Artillery at the Trooping of the Colour - officers too. They are another elite unit.

Sago Fri 26-Aug-22 09:24:42

Many years ago I took my 3rd driving test and as the examiner announced that I had passed the Red Arrows flew by in formation!
We both looked up in amazement and the poker faced old ** managed a smile!

Joseanne Fri 26-Aug-22 16:30:03

Noooo 15 minutes ago they decided to cancel!!

I wonder why? ? wink

Pittcity Fri 26-Aug-22 20:35:11

Engineering problems Joseanne. I think the planes are getting on a bit.

J52 Fri 26-Aug-22 21:09:18

Many years ago they displayed at a local air show. Later that evening we were with friends in a secluded bar at nearby 5* Hotel. We were joined by the Red Arrows team, still in their overalls ( right word for RAF casual uniform??).
Post match Rugby teams antics were mild in comparison!