Gransnet forums

News & politics

Putting the clocks back

(16 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Sat 27-Aug-22 10:36:43

Deborah Meaden (Dragons’ Den) has suggested that not putting the clocks back this Autumn might help with energy bills. What do you think?
It is true that our energy bills are likely to increase across the board with darker afternoons and evenings, but what about the whole country? Living and teaching in the SE in the 70’s and 80’s I remember all too well the increased traffic jams (and shunts) after half term on my way home from school, always attributed to the “extra hour” ie getting dark earlier.
But this is not a new idea.
Back in 2020 The Scotsman pointed out the disadvantages to those in the north of the UK, identifying the dangers to children going to school in the dark, but what about farmers, commuters and all those whose working day starts perhaps as early as 7 am?
A House of Lords committee claims the government has “stuck its head in the sand” over EU proposals to abolish daylight savings, with the impact of the Brussels still poorly understood in the UK after years of “hoping that it goes away .
And the Scottish Government has warned that if the UK felt compelled to follow the EU’s lead, it could add to risks on the road for Scottish schoolchildren and damage the rural economy north of the border
How would it affect you -and yours? Is it a viable idea?

Baggs Sat 27-Aug-22 10:40:59

I'm starting to have to get up in the dark already. I'd like the clocks to stay at GMT at all times.

ginny Sat 27-Aug-22 10:43:01

I’d be happy for them to stay at GMT.
Hate the long dark evenings.

fairfraise Sat 27-Aug-22 10:44:47

My son found an old copy of The South Wales Argus last week under some carpet in his home. Front page news was wondering whether to grant proposed devolved assemblies the power to change their own time zones and change clocks separately from England! Dated July 1976.

Anniebach Sat 27-Aug-22 10:57:54

This was done 1968,

Blossoming Sat 27-Aug-22 10:58:40

I don’t work now so it probably wouldn’t make a huge difference in my life but like ginny I hate the long dark evenings. I would be happy to stay on BST.

MawtheMerrier Sat 27-Aug-22 11:05:26

Anniebach

This was done 1968,

Thank you for identifying the year Anniebach I knew at the back of my mind that there was at least one winter when I was a student at St Andrew’s when I remembered going to lectures in the dark.
(Contrary to many people’s view of students I was awake before noon and at least 3 lectures a week were at 9 o clock ! )

Anniebach Sat 27-Aug-22 11:16:04

It was miserable eating breakfast in the dark Maw

Mamardoit Sat 27-Aug-22 11:16:35

I would prefer to stay on BST too. Easier for me to say because I'm in central England. In parts of Scotland it would be dark until about 10 am. I'm sure that's why the idea was abandomed in the 1960s.

In WW2 they had double summer time to help the farmers.

GrannySomerset Sat 27-Aug-22 11:25:06

Perhaps we need time zones? The most northerly Scottish towns will need something different from Edinburgh/Glasgow, so being earlier or later than England wouldn’t be strange. I would love to stay on BST though as a young child remember the endless evenings of wartime double summer time when being in bed felt like cruelty to children. Don’t suppose anything will change, though the recent research suggesting that teenagers profit from a later start to the school day could be factored in. Think this will stay in the “too difficult” box!

MawtheMerrier Sat 27-Aug-22 11:37:04

Anniebach

It was miserable eating breakfast in the dark Maw

I agree, but before I retired from teaching I used to be out of the house between 7.30 and 8 and often not home before 6 so I left in the dark and came home in the dark regardless.
I suspect the same would apply to farmers, shift workers, commuters etc.

Anniebach Sat 27-Aug-22 11:47:51

I really dislike the long,dark evenings so would choose breakfast in the dark

Sago Sat 27-Aug-22 11:50:24

Great idea!

mokryna Sat 27-Aug-22 11:54:21

It’s the swings and roundabouts thing, either darker mornings going to work/school but lighter and less dangerous going home or lighter mornings safer traveling to school/work but more dangerous in the evenings.
Here in France we are 1 hour in advance of the sun in winter (BST) and two hours in summer, which I prefer ´cause the evenings are longer in both cases, more than the UK.
Schools start for the 3 to 10 year olds at 8.30 and finish 4.30pm so is both dark in the mornings and evenings. Secondary’s nearly all start 8.00 till 5 pm plus .

GrannyGravy13 Sat 27-Aug-22 11:56:12

I must be odd, as I really do not mind one way or the other.

We have a Scandi DiL and many North Scandi friends, they just do what they have to do regardless of whether it’s light or dark.

I guess it is what you are used to it?

sandelf Sat 27-Aug-22 11:58:29

Past caring what the clock says BUT why oh why do we have to change them - ever!