Gransnet forums

News & politics

Life on Mars- or without Mars?

(8 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Mon 29-Aug-22 08:16:55

Things are getting critical.
A SHORTAGE of Mars bars has led to empty supermarket shelves and hit Scottish chip shops that serve the chocolate treat deep-fried in batter.
Retailers have warned of weeks-long shortages as Mars Wrigley, the company behind Mars, Snickers, Bounty and Twix bars, said it was “experiencing high levels of demand ”.
Out of stock” messages have also appeared on supermarket websites with reports of food wholesalers also experiencing shortages.
Joe Andreucci, owner of the Clam Shell takeaway on Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, said: “We buy from cash and carry wholesalers and we currently have no stock today because we couldn’t get them.
We think there is a shortage.
Multi-packs of Mars, Snickers and Twix were unavailable on the Tesco website last night, although it did stock single bars.
Only single bars of Mars could be bought on Asda’s website while Waitrose, Morrisons and Sainsbury’s were fully stocked on their Mars products .
Asked about the shortages, one retailer told The Guardian: “[It] looks like a production issue on Mars’s end may be causing gaps across retailers

However are we going to “Work, rest and play” ?

Baggs Mon 29-Aug-22 08:18:47

grin grin

Urmstongran Mon 29-Aug-22 08:19:00

?

Mind you, I seem to be able to ‘rest & play’ quite easily without one Maw!

#lazygran

Calendargirl Mon 29-Aug-22 08:37:50

Cannot imagine eating a deep fried Mars bar!

Fleurpepper Mon 29-Aug-22 12:24:55

Good, all those Hershey type so called chocolate are full of palm oil and sugar and no real chocolates. They can go, afaiac!

Glorianny Mon 29-Aug-22 12:27:53

It's probably the immigrants eating them all. It's the first thing they demand when they step off the boat.

Blossoming Mon 29-Aug-22 12:35:04

I blame Brexit

Lexisgranny Mon 29-Aug-22 12:47:17

Many years ago, having heard so much about them, the great disappointment on my first trip to the USA was the Hershey bar. To me it tasted like really cheap chocolate. (Never understood the craze for Oreos either).

Mars bars, a different matter altogether. They remind me of sitting with my much loved grandfather, he produced a Mars bar, opened the wrapper and with a little knife with a mother of pearl handle, cut it into slices. Sweets were rationed and how delicious my share tasted! Mind you Mars bars were a decent size then, not as they are now - the size of a Milky Way.

I rarely buy chocolate, and I can’t remember the last time I had a Mars, but two things, the first is that it takes me back to those happy times, and secondly I feel so guilty about sinking me teeth into something which my heart tells me should be enjoyed in small slices!