Gransnet forums

News & politics

The slow destruction of Britains Parks.

(21 Posts)
Dinahmo Mon 29-Aug-22 19:23:38

When we lived in Brixton I bought a book about Lambeth's open spaces and their inception. Clapham Common is a good example, as is Brockwell Park with its wonderful lido. I have fond memories of the Lambeth Country show which was held in the Park each year and farmers would bring sheep, goats, cows and chickens for us Londoners to see.

Browsing through the Guardian whilst waiting for some beef to marinate I came across an article about the neglect of parks all over the country. Many of the parks were funded by Victorian benefactors who realised that people living in cities needed access to fresh air and green open spaces.

Sadly there have been budget cuts each year since 2010 (yet another example of Tory austerity) and many of the parks so I am importing the complete article here in the hopes that some of you will read it.

"Access to green space
Underfunded, rusting and fenced off, Britain’s parks are under attack
Dan Hancox

They are our last truly public spaces, but the scale of their neglect by this government is becoming clear

In a summer when even Conservative voters, MPs and publications are suddenly waking up to the realisation that nothing in the UK seems to work and everything seems to be breaking – and they’re all trying very hard to find the guy who did this – crumbling parks infrastructure may be low down the list of priorities, given the desperate state of the NHS, the social care system, our sewage-filled rivers and soaring demand for food banks.

But these are dark times for our parks, which have been devastated by annual Conservative budget cuts since 2010. Last week a Guardian investigation found that local authorities in England are spending £330m less a year on parks in real terms than they were a decade ago. The study found that less affluent parts of the country have been hit the hardest by austerity, with parks in the north-west and the north-east suffering in particular.

Our urban parks are the last vestiges of truly free public space in an age of privatised squares and local authority fire sales of public assets. They offer robust support for our mental as well as physical health, they offer us solace through solitude and joyful social space without an obligation to buy anything – they are democracy rendered in three dimensions, with jumpers for goalposts in the background.

But now drastic underfunding is seriously degrading not just the quality and safety of public parks – with reports of broken benches, rusted swings, dead trees and empty flowerbeds – but also their accessibility and very publicness. Big city parks – especially those in London, but also in Bristol, Newcastle and Nottingham – are increasingly seeking to plug the gaping holes in their budgets with commercial income generated through walled-off, paid-entry festivals that render public parks effectively semi-privatised for large portions of the summer.

In 2019 I submitted freedom of information requests to London’s 32 borough councils about the number of paid-for events in their parks, and found that many were cordoning off public space for weeks at a time in the warmest months of the year. With substantial festival infrastructure taking several days to build and dismantle, some councils were simply leaving their fences up in between bookings, leaving areas of the park inaccessible even outside scheduled events.

It is grimly ironic that they are becoming less accessible spaces when the pandemic lockdowns highlighted just how essential our urban parks are – in particular to those less well off, to people living in overcrowded flats without gardens or balconies. And even then, wonky science on viral transmission and petty authoritarianism sought to deprive those who most needed our parks from using them freely. I will always remember the bizarre sight in 2020 of police vans circling Peckham Rye common telling people to go home, and park benches taped off by the police in Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens.

Our green spaces have always been contested spaces, and have been fenced off and preserved for an elite few at numerous points in our history. The history of parks and commons is not one of unbroken freedom rudely interrupted by austerity and privatisation in the 2010s. Many beloved city parks today only exist because of public pressure from below – such as Victoria Park in Hackney, created in the 19th century as respite for the poor from the dark and disease-ridden slums of industrial east London.

One of my most beloved local places for a walk is a delightfully wild, wooded and peaceful little park speckled with blackberries, bugs, parakeets and three-cornered leeks called One Tree Hill: the views over the London skyline to the north are spectacular. For centuries it had been this way (minus the parakeets), a place where children climbed trees and picked flowers and all people could roam freely, until it was suddenly enclosed by a golf club in 1896, who erected a 6ft fence and patrolled it with guard dogs. The seizure of this public space was met with fierce opposition over the following months.

In October 1897 a large crowd gathered to protest the enclosure, and 500 police were summoned, some of them mounted, to protect the golf club’s newly seized property. But “the hill was soon covered with a disorderly multitude” of thousands of local people, who fought and overwhelmed the police to pull down the fences and reclaim the land. The “irregulars of the One Tree Hill Movement” won their historic battle and a few years later the council compulsorily purchased the land from the golf club to create the officially protected public park we can all enjoy today.

Private capital does not rest in its efforts to claw at, sequester, fence off and draw profit from that which is held in common, and never has done. In what the historian Dr Katrina Navickas has called “enclosure by privatisation”, we see the same patterns repeated in the threats to our public parks today. To paraphrase US folk singer Utah Phillips, our public realm is not dying, it is being killed – and those who are killing it have names, addresses and lanyards for party conference season.

The French situationists deployed the famous line Sous les pavés, la plage! – under the cobblestones, the beach! – as a pointer to the utopian potential lying dormant in the ground beneath our feet: the idea that a better world exists not just in abstract theory, but in the material world we inhabit, in the ostensibly humdrum urban paths we walk down every day.

The story in the soil is one of vital historic battles for free assembly, protest, foraging and grazing – but also for a place of play, relaxation, ritual, exercise and peace for all ages, classes and races. How many other spaces in Britain are left that truly belong to and are inhabited by us all? Under the parks, the commons!

Dan Hancox is a freelance journalist, focusing on music, politics, cities and culture

Casdon Mon 29-Aug-22 19:40:43

I think the author is referring to England rather than Britain Dinamho, because responsibility for parks is devolved. Parks are the responsibility of Local Authorities in Wales, and most have armies of volunteers keeping them up to scratch, I can’t honestly say I know of any that have been overshadowed by developments, the ones I visit are all clearly cherished still.

paddyann54 Mon 29-Aug-22 20:38:47

for British read English ,Parks here are well kept by the local authorities ,places like Glasgow green are used as much now as they were when I was a child as id Kelvingrove and many others in Glasgow .The parks n my area are glorious with a riot of colour and play spaces for children .

Greyduster Mon 29-Aug-22 22:11:22

He has obviously not been here. Our large northern city has some truly wonderful well kept parks and green spaces, managed by the city council and “Friends” groups - members of the local community. They are well used and very well loved.

Mollygo Mon 29-Aug-22 22:22:56

In England, this must be a district problem.
Where I live now, where I used to live, and where my children live now, all in England, the local parks are well cared for.
Trees grass and plants and play areas are well managed and damage in storms is quickly cleared. Dog waste and litter bins are regularly emptied. Lakes are also well cared for and often feature in wedding photographs. Paths are cleared of leaves in autumn, making the steep paths safer to walk on.
Most of the work is done by paid employees, but the one nearest us also has a flourishing “friends of . . .” group who work on certain areas of the park, often involving children.
Re the OP, any neglect of parks certainly needs addressing, but a blanket statement is inaccurate.

Dinahmo Mon 29-Aug-22 22:30:50

Could it be that those of you that have well cared for parks are in areas with Tory councils? After all they receive much more funding than Labour held councils.

Casdon Mon 29-Aug-22 22:37:32

Not here, the two nearest ones to me are Lib Dem/coalition council, and Labour council. Our government in Wales is obviously Labour too though, so it’s probably not fair to compare with what’s happening in different areas of England. Funding is very tight, and I know there are active volunteer groups supporting the paid staff. We also have an organisation called Groundwork, funded by Welsh Government, which coordinates volunteer activity for projects, which includes parks.

Mollygo Mon 29-Aug-22 23:37:55

Dinahmo

Could it be that those of you that have well cared for parks are in areas with Tory councils? After all they receive much more funding than Labour held councils.

No it isn’t necessarily true for the well cared for parks near me or where I used to live. The councils concerned are Labour or Lib Dem or Conservative. I’m not sure about the council of the parks near my DC.

nanna8 Tue 30-Aug-22 02:58:26

They build right round the edges here now so all these high rise units overshadow some of the parks. All the kangaroos etc move out of course, or they shoot them. Just lovely( not )

Greyduster Tue 30-Aug-22 07:22:14

No, certainly not. This city has been a labour stronghold since the year dot. There was a time when they proposed to sell a portion of one of the parks for development but there was such a huge public outcry that they had to back down. It was made very clear to them that the land was gifted to the people of the city, not to the council to play fast and loose with.

Allsorts Tue 30-Aug-22 07:24:38

Our parks here are well looked after.

dragonfly46 Tue 30-Aug-22 07:25:28

We have a beautiful well-kept park here in Leicestershire.

henetha Tue 30-Aug-22 10:27:43

We have a lovely park too, well kept and caters for all.
Swings, an open air gym, seating by the river, a skate park, beautiful trees. And it then leads on to an old disused railway track walk that goes on for miles.

MaizieD Tue 30-Aug-22 10:36:25

I keep seeing this thread as 'The Slow destruction of Britain' grin

Being in a fairly rural area we don't have many parks round here, just some well maintained green spaces in villages, often with children's play equipment.

We had an absolute pearl of a park in my home town in the SE. I haven't seen it recently, last visit was 4 or 5 years ago, but it was always beautifully maintained and well used. I haven't seen any complaints about it deteriorating on a local FB page I'm on. I see plenty about the deterioration of the town itself..

Grandmabatty Tue 30-Aug-22 10:40:38

I'm in central Scotland and all the parks in my area are beautifully kept, maintained and developed by the local council. Definitely not Tory run. In my immediate area, the council have just planted hundreds of trees in green areas and have completely renovated a children's park.

Dinahmo Tue 30-Aug-22 12:23:58

I can only say that you are all very lucky with your open spaces and have your eyes on what happens to them. From what I read here and have read there is a lot of volunteer work involved.

Mollygo Tue 30-Aug-22 13:29:31

The point of the OP was to make us aware of what is happening to some parks. Where the neglect is happening, something needs to be done. The only mistake was making it appear nationwide.

Parsley3 Tue 30-Aug-22 13:49:22

I am also in Central Scotland and I am sorry to hear that in some places parks are being neglected. If that happens here I will certainly complain to the local council. Parks are important. As a child I grew up in inner city tenement buildings in Glasgow and the park was the only place to get fresh air and play on grass. Children are still growing up in these same buildings and still need access to parks. If parks in your area are disappearing please speak out before it is too late.

HowVeryDareYou Tue 30-Aug-22 15:04:23

I live in Nottingham, and there are lots of really lovely parks here.

Witzend Tue 30-Aug-22 15:07:06

The dd who lives in Oxford has two lovely and very well tended parks very close by, and others not far away.

Greyduster Tue 30-Aug-22 15:52:58

Don’t many amenities rely on a certain amount of volunteer workers? Where would the National Trust be without them?