Gransnet forums

News & politics

The most right wing government in modern UK history

(17 Posts)
varian Wed 21-Sep-22 19:13:28

Liberal Democrat leader Ed Davey points to the extreme right wing policies of our latest Tory government.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/21/liz-truss-government-conservatives-ed-davey-liberal-democrats

Dinahmo Wed 21-Sep-22 21:24:37

It seems to me that we're heading back to the dark ages. Absolutely no support for the sick, poor, elderly and disabled.

GagaJo Wed 21-Sep-22 21:36:45

Agree Dinahmo. A very scary time to be alive.

merlotgran Wed 21-Sep-22 21:50:31

GagaJo

Agree Dinahmo. A very scary time to be alive.

I’m just watching the unbelievable and heartbreaking footage of terrified people trying to flee the Taliban at Kabul airport (BBC 2) so forgive me for saying I find your comment more than a little OTT.

Deedaa Wed 21-Sep-22 21:57:56

If you read Victor Klemperer's diaries about his life in Germany during the war there are worrying parallels. So many things being done to "protect" us.

MerylStreep Wed 21-Sep-22 22:00:12

Merlotgran
Couldn’t agree more. I’m watching those poor women in Iran, that’s scary!!!!!!!

Summerlove Wed 21-Sep-22 22:04:17

How is what is happening around the would not encompassed in *gaga jo*s ‘it’s a scary time to be alive’??

She didn’t say the UK was the scariest?

MaizieD Wed 21-Sep-22 22:06:12

Perhaps those who think that it's OTT to be scared of our government would give some thought to what makes a regime such that people want to fly from it or rebel against it.

Then look at what is happening to freedom in the UK.

DaisyAnne Thu 22-Sep-22 09:31:17

I couldn't agree more Maizie. However, both extremes believe they have a right to take away our freedom to fulfil their ideology. It is not just coming from the right. We can see the far-right have got hold of their party - voted for by many who are not far-right. Equally, it seems the far-left expects to fulfil its ideologies, sending in the troops to stop those who wish to choose something other than the extreme left ideologies would dictate.

Having watched the far-right take over their party and inflict a free-market economy on us, I see no reason not to believe the far-left would do the same. Perhaps Keir Starmer (who I had hope for) will turn out to be the Cameron of the Labour Party. Maybe both will be seen to be the Judas goats of our time.

Who is standing up for the mixed economy? While the poor get poorer and more badly treated for being poor under this government, and the far-left plans what seems far too close to Communism for comfort, who will defend the real majority? Are the majority still even in favour of a mixed economy or is it now everyone for their chosen extreme?

Casdon Thu 22-Sep-22 09:38:18

It’s always been the case that both extremes believe they have the right to take away our freedom to fulfil their ideology though DaisyAnne, the difference is that this time the far right are actually doing it, which hasn’t happened in this country for many years. The far left don’t have the traction, I can’t see there being any possibility of them being able to do the same. In the meantime, the public view remains moderate, and supports greater social equality, I was cheered to read the latest survey results this morning.
news.sky.com/story/british-society-divided-on-social-values-but-majority-back-tax-hikes-to-pay-for-cost-of-living-help-12702971

Grantanow Thu 22-Sep-22 09:51:14

The far right and far left are equally authoritarian in pursuit of their rotten ideologies. I worry about the Trussites.

DaisyAnne Thu 22-Sep-22 10:11:06

Casdon

It’s always been the case that both extremes believe they have the right to take away our freedom to fulfil their ideology though DaisyAnne, the difference is that this time the far right are actually doing it, which hasn’t happened in this country for many years. The far left don’t have the traction, I can’t see there being any possibility of them being able to do the same. In the meantime, the public view remains moderate, and supports greater social equality, I was cheered to read the latest survey results this morning.
news.sky.com/story/british-society-divided-on-social-values-but-majority-back-tax-hikes-to-pay-for-cost-of-living-help-12702971

They may not currently "have the traction" Casdon but why would anyone risk them as a government when that is what we hear? They have seen it happen on the right. With a government in power in what they see as their name (never mind the voters) they would be likely to attempt the same.

The public have voted in this government, how can you believe their view remains moderate? I wish I could. I'll read your article and hope it cheers me up.

Casdon Thu 22-Sep-22 10:38:29

DaisyAnne

Casdon

They may not currently "have the traction" Casdon but why would anyone risk them as a government when that is what we hear? They have seen it happen on the right. With a government in power in what they see as their name (never mind the voters) they would be likely to attempt the same.

The public have voted in this government, how can you believe their view remains moderate? I wish I could. I'll read your article and hope it cheers me up.

They have never had the traction DaisyAnne. The media and public outcry against any really left wing policies would be so strong that they will never succeed. The problem we have at the moment is that the pro Brexit brigade are so blinded by the success of their campaign that they are wearing blinkers, and this government is getting away with things that no government before has. I do think the tide has turned now though.

Grantanow Sat 24-Sep-22 10:34:20

Brexet is a faith-based cult. Waste of time showing them the facts. Galileo's priestly persecutors refused to look through his telescope. It took about 400 years for them to realise Galileo was right. No point therefore in arguing with the sovereignty-mongers.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Sep-22 10:47:48

We have never had a far left government, but we do have a far right government. The damage being done is profound.

TopsyIrene06 Sat 24-Sep-22 11:33:53

Grantanow So true.

varian Sat 24-Sep-22 18:24:40

Probably the nearest thing the UK has ever had to a "far left government" was the Attlee government elected in 1945 which introduced the welfare state and NHS.

I was just talking to another Granny the other day and we remembered how we were fed Orange Juice, Virol, Milk, Calcium powder and cod liver oil, all supplied by that far left government to our parents who had to force us to consume them. But we're still here. What a fortunate generation we are.