Gransnet forums

News & politics

An Open Letter coordinated by Survivors Against Terror

(13 Posts)
Farzanah Sun 10-Mar-24 11:22:25

Has anyone read this in today’s Guardian I wonder?
Rather long to reproduce but very timely IMO given the anti Muslim rhetoric which appears to be growing.

petra Sun 10-Mar-24 11:39:06

Do you mean this article?

www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/10/survivors-of-uk-terror-attacks-warn-dont-equate-muslims-with-extremists

Farzanah Sun 10-Mar-24 11:42:30

I think it is a worrying trend for strong opinions to spill over into anti-Muslim rhetoric, particularly on social media where posters are anonymous, and Gransnet is not immune.

maddyone Sun 10-Mar-24 11:57:36

When the terror threat came form the IRA, a lot of people were anti Irish. It’s therefore not surprising if the terror threat now comes from Muslims, that some people are anti Muslim.

paddyann54 Sun 10-Mar-24 12:14:32

People on here have been anti Muslim for as long as the site has been going,in my experience there are good and bad in all faiths and cultures and the muslims I know are all hard working,most own businesses,good hearted and very family orientated.I dont recognise these caricatures of them that appear on here at regular intervals.
I currently see 2 muslim doctors for different conditions and am and have been very happy with my treatment .The NHS is hard pressed enough without folk stirring up islamophobia .
Surely we are all of an age to realise that most of the crime in this country is committed by British ,white criminals not people who come looking for a better way of life.Of course I speak for the area I live it may well be different where you are but if you treat people badly they'll live up to your expectations

Farzanah Sun 10-Mar-24 12:19:31

Thanks petra.

Farzanah Sun 10-Mar-24 12:22:52

Yes maddyone but “not surprising” doesn’t make it acceptable. When it is used to garner political support it can be dangerous.

Galaxy Sun 10-Mar-24 12:29:00

Thank goodness we have had a lecture on racism by someone who was deleted for antisemitism.
Its like me offering advice on crafting.

Oreo Sun 10-Mar-24 16:25:11

Galaxy grin
I’ ve nothing to add bar the comment that there isn’t any anti Muslim posts on this forum that I’ve noticed, horror at what hamas did, yes , annoyance when Palestinian support marches affect people’s lives maybe but nothing directed at all and every Muslim in Britain.
Def noticed antisemitism tho.

Farzanah Sun 10-Mar-24 17:01:23

My feeling is that if this was a post about antisemitism, which is equally wrong there would be plenty of posters. Perhaps you haven’t been looking Oreo?

Gransnet posts are usually quite measured IMO, but lately it seems to be to have been rather unbalanced.

Oreo Sun 10-Mar-24 17:09:56

I have been looking as it happens.

Farzanah Sun 10-Mar-24 21:33:44

For example
Is it acceptable to say the police in London are Muslim supporters?
What about Muslim male head of households completing postal votes for their family? Evidence?

Gransnet is definitely a lonely place for Muslims.

nanna8 Sun 10-Mar-24 22:43:27

I’m surprised at these comments because to me gransnet seems pro Muslim if anything, certainly not anti. I think more anti Christian if anything. Not all,of course but I cannot find a single anti Muslim comment .