Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anyone follow story re NHS Ombudsman chief Rob Behrens' concerns about NHS cover ups?

(10 Posts)
Birthto110 Mon 25-Mar-24 23:25:59

www.theguardian.com/society/2024/mar/17/nhs-ombudsman-rob-behrens-serious-issues-concern

This kind of thing seems to be something which doesn't interest people, unless they've been personally affected by NHS failings or negligence. A bit like cover ups by any other public institution I guess - including the post office scandal recently.
Seems that unless a TV drama documentary is produced, no-one wants to bother with it much - or people don't particularly care about standards and the truth being upheld - or the importance of professionals being held to account and the need for serious improvements put in place for the future.
I feel people can both support the NHS and be grateful for care a at the point of access in this country - AND at the same time demand accountability when things fail.

NotSpaghetti Mon 15-Apr-24 23:27:39

I am following this story.
I think it's unfair to assume nobody cares - but you are right about dramatisation it's probably because they humanise and not many of us like just the facts.

ronib Tue 16-Apr-24 08:19:14

I have noticed that patients can be left with anger issues following on from NHS misdiagnosis and mistreatment. This is a real problem and needs addressing.

Sarnia Tue 16-Apr-24 09:59:37

A great many people within the NHS care but whistle blowers get short shrift. The powers that be close ranks when any uncomfortable investigations or questions are asked. These days you can get access to your medical records but that isn't to say they haven't been altered to suit the NHS narrative.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-Apr-24 10:11:11

I think we all know it happens, whether we or anyone we know has experienced it or not. It is unfair to assume that nobody cares, but what can the individual do about it if not directly affected?

NotSpaghetti Tue 16-Apr-24 10:35:02

I have accessed my medical records years ago - it's not new. I think it was in 1984 or 1985 I had a copy. My daughter acessed hers and had all her birth records copied between baby 1 and baby 2. That was roughly 14 years ago. My husband had a selection of his copied maybe 2010. If people wanted them they could always get them. Obviously no good if they are "lost"!

My uncle's records were destroyed 7 years after his death - but that was in the 1970s. I don't know what the rules are now about that.

And don't forget lots of money (and staff) have been lost from the health ombudsman and the whole service is just now under "restructuring".

If funds are withdrawn obviously things won't get better.

NotSpaghetti Tue 16-Apr-24 10:36:09

whistle blowers get short shrift - yes indeed.... but not just in the NHS, unfortunately.

Aveline Tue 16-Apr-24 10:38:35

Sections of medical notes can be withheld from patients though...

NotSpaghetti Tue 16-Apr-24 12:35:40

On what grounds Aveline? That's interesting.

Aveline Tue 16-Apr-24 16:52:51

I couldn't possibly comment!