Gransnet forums

News & politics

Referendum

(10 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 25-Jun-16 09:09:45

I thought that it was time for some links that explain the views of those who favoured Leave. We were bombarded with similar links for Remain and castigated for not looking at them - so this is just for a bit of balance. I am sure that you will all study them in depth!grin

‘Nine myths about the EU’ by Daniel Hannan MEP, Conservative Home, 7th January 2016
‘There is only one way to get the change we want – vote to leave the EU’ by Boris Johnson, The Daily Telegraph, 22nd February 2016
‘Why I’m backing Brexit’ by Michael Gove, The Spectator, 20th February 2016
‘Lord Lawson's Chatham House Speech: - The Case for Brexit’, 24th February 2016
‘Seven risks in voting Remain’ by Daniel Hannan MEP, CAPX, 18th April 2016
‘Boris Johnson’s speech on the EU Referendum’ 9th May 2016
'Leave camp must accept that Norway model is the only safe way to exit EU' by Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, The Daily Telegraph, 2nd June 2016
‘Why Brexit could be a blessing for Europe’ by Laetitia Strauch-Bonart, Standpoint, April 2016
‘Free trade after Brexit’ by David Campbell Bannerman MEP, CapX, 3rd May
‘Napoleon’s challengers didn’t fear Brexit and nor should we’ by Andrew Roberts, CapX, 23rd March 2016
‘Brexit: Yes or No?’ A lecture by Roger Scruton
‘Brexit: The Movie’
‘Boris Johnson’s speech on the EU Referendum (video)’
‘The six best reasons to vote leave’, by Daniel Hannan, The Spectator, 11th June 2016
‘The great EU power trip’, by Noel Malcolm, The Spectator, 28th May 2016
‘Please Vote Leave on Thursday, because we'll never get this chance again’ by Boris Johnson, The Daily Telegraph, 19th June 2016
‘One Minute Fox: Rt Hon Dr Liam Fox MP’s videos on the EU Referendum’
‘Out – and into the world: why The Spectator is for Leave’, The Spectator, 16th June 2016
‘We face a very serious decision next week – but not a terribly difficult one’ by Charles Moore, The Daily Telegraph, 17th June 2016

Skullduggery Sat 25-Jun-16 09:28:29

Seriously?
Sorry, but it's too late to try shift the blame at this stage.
There is no clear Mandate going forward other than a load of pointless platitudes and as the dust settles, Brexiters will have to acknowledge what a monumental fuck up they've caused.
Don't worry though, they'll have plenty of years to ponder their regrets. angry

Luckygirl Sat 25-Jun-16 09:31:22

This was intended to inject a hint of humour - hence the grin.

No blame to shift as far as I can see - except onto DC for having the referendum in the first place.

whitewave Sat 25-Jun-16 09:32:17

You read the wrong stuff luck grin

Luckygirl Sat 25-Jun-16 09:39:59

I also read all the links regarding Remain. It would have been silly not to. No wonder my brain is reeling.

whitewave Sat 25-Jun-16 09:52:10

Well that's OK then! Still puzzled how you came up with your decision though.

trisher Sat 25-Jun-16 10:05:12

Trying to make something that will devastate lives funny just doesn't work.

M0nica Sat 25-Jun-16 10:12:59

We need to remember that while the leave campaign was successful, it had only a small majority and effectively the country was split 50:50 with a high turnout.

So headlines about 'Britain votes out' and the like are far from the truth. About half the British population voted out but the other half wanted to stay in. In my area approximately 60 per cent of voters wanted to remain in the EU. Were we to run the referendom again next week, the result could have the same percentage breakdown but with the result reversed.

I think major constitutional changes like this should require a very solid mandate and the status quo should not change unless 60% of the population vote for it. This rule applies in many other countries including, I think, in the USA where a two thirds majority is required to change any elelement of the Constitution.

Luckygirl Sat 25-Jun-16 11:02:01

I absolutely agree M0nica - it was an undemocratic farce. The campaign was tawdry and the result could have differed from day to day.

Anniebach Sat 25-Jun-16 11:14:59

I agree Luckygirl and MOnica