Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who said immigrants have to go back?

(142 Posts)
obieone Mon 27-Jun-16 10:41:25

I am willing to be corrected, but has any politician said this?

I have seen it mentioned a few times by gransnetters, but I dont think I have heard any politican say it.

daphnedill Mon 27-Jun-16 10:42:41

No, but some of the 'people' have.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 27-Jun-16 10:50:15

They won't. (have to)

Incitement to panic?

obieone Mon 27-Jun-16 11:02:03

What an awful thing some people are doing in that case.

Alea Mon 27-Jun-16 11:04:02

Stirring??
Nobody has said it, so why raise this ugly prospect.

Elegran Mon 27-Jun-16 11:11:55

It will be one more of those things that gets passed around but no-one can tell you the source - that is usually because a rumour has been distorted slightly each time it was repeated.

"Send reinforcements, the general is going to advance" becoming "Send three and fourpence, the general is going to a dance"

daphnedill Mon 27-Jun-16 11:23:12

I saw enough xenophobia in schools from pupils, parents and (sadly) some teachers to know that it exists in a substantial number of families.

There was an article about cards being delivered to Eastern Europeans telling them to go back home. I don't know whether they were genuine or somebody trying to wind things up, but I taught in that town a few years ago and I witnessed for myself the abuse immigrant children suffered, so nothing would surprise me.

daphnedill Mon 27-Jun-16 11:23:52

No, Elegran, it happens. I've witnessed it and challenged it.

obieone Mon 27-Jun-16 11:30:02

Alea, I am beginning to realise that you dont read a lot of threads on gransnet.

obieone Mon 27-Jun-16 11:31:10

And make a beeline for when you see my name anywhere.

Elegran Mon 27-Jun-16 11:31:26

So what is the "source"? Seeing it repeated and acted on, (and challenging it, well done for that) is not the same as knowing that it is an official policy which will be legally acted on. Some claimed that the leave campaign was to achieve that, and now that the majority vote was for leave are people assuming that it will automatically become the rule?

People are inhumane to others with it meaning "Immigrants will have to go back" is the truth.

Elegran Mon 27-Jun-16 11:35:52

I wasn't denying that anyone had tried to enforce it, but saying that it was not an existing rule that WOULD be enforced as policy! *Obieone asked "Who said . . . ?" I was replying to that.

Alea Mon 27-Jun-16 11:52:27

Alea, I am beginning to realise that you dont read a lot of threads on Gransnet

Wrong yet again. .

obieone Mon 27-Jun-16 12:01:47

In that case you are seeing comments that the rest of us are seeing, are you not? hmm

Alea Mon 27-Jun-16 12:03:39

Just all a non-question. hmm
Like "have you stopped beating your wife?"

obieone Mon 27-Jun-16 12:04:37

For instance, you saw all the posts about thick, moronic, lunatics let out of the asylum etc etc.

And for instance. You are seeing posters commentating about immigrants going back?

sunseeker Mon 27-Jun-16 12:05:36

Some numptys did apparently post some cards through doors but that has not been said by anyone running the leave campaign (no not even Farage). The vast majority of people would abhor that kind of action. Let's not spread unfounded rumours or assume that everyone who voted leave share the views of just a few

obieone Mon 27-Jun-16 12:06:34

Actually, I think I will let you be.

granjura Mon 27-Jun-16 12:40:52

Yes, what you do every time. Start a thread to stir up **, troll for bit then b****er off. Bravo, well done.

No politician has said it- but some people in the street, in doctor's surgeries, in front of mosques, in schools- have been saying it.

But most importantly, those immigrants that have shored up our hospitals and many industries and agriculture- won't stay if they feel unwelcome. And won't stay if they can't earn good money for their services. Many send money home to educate their children, or pay for parents' health care, many intend to go back one day, having saved enough to buy their own home back home and security. Why should they stay?

Some are committed to stay as they have adopted the lifestyle and enjoyed it- as I did all those years ago. But how long will they enjoy this if the atmosphere turns sour against them, and their kids are bullied and threaten at school?

Anniebach Mon 27-Jun-16 12:52:49

The police are receiving reports of non British being told I voted for you to thrown out. A politician did not say it, their speeches over the last few months have certaintly encouraged it

granjura Mon 27-Jun-16 12:56:16

Expats in Gibraltar are feeling scared. And the effect on expats in France and Spain has started.

One British friend who has had a terrible time lately for personal reasons, sold her house to a British couple a couple of weeks ago. They pulled out yesterday, losing their deposit- as they are too scared of what will happen to their pension, the £ and healthcare reciprocal agreements.

Some friends had already transfered the money to buy their dream house in the South of France just pulled out for the same reasons.

Two cases I personally heard of, and I am sure they are not the only ones. Those 2 millions retirees in Europe may well soon find they just can't stay because of the above. If they have to come back to UK, they will be a huge burden, as their money has gone, their health has deteriorated and will need a lot of support in many ways- and won't pay tax either, as EU immigrants do, and won't be doing the jobs others won't do either.

granjura Mon 27-Jun-16 12:57:14

They will need housing too- where are you going to put them?

obieone Mon 27-Jun-16 13:10:16

granjura. I bring things to the light. Which tends to put a stop to it. Job done.

Bad behaviour does not like light.

grannyactivist Mon 27-Jun-16 13:11:21

I think that across the country the response to the Leave campaign result is continuing divisiveness, but we have to find some consensus if we are to move forward.

Unfortunately there is a small, vocal, racist minority who misunderstood that a Leave vote meant that immigrants already here would be sent home. There have been a number of reported (verified) racist incidents that inevitably the press has picked up on. This image encapsulates why some people, particularly immigrants, are now fearful of an increase in explicit hate crime.

obieone Mon 27-Jun-16 13:20:51

Thank you for that post grannyactivist.