Gransnet forums

News & politics

The single market?

(103 Posts)
Anya Thu 30-Jun-16 14:19:38

We keep harking on that we want 'access to the single market' but I'm increasingly thinking 'why?' hmm

isn't that a bit like doing all your shopping in the same, one supermarket through sheer laziness or pure convenience? Seems we've put all our eggs in one basket for rather too long.

So let's start thinking about doing a deal with Germany re imports and exports of cars for example, and France for wine and cheese, Greece for olive oil, Italy for something or other and so on.

Divide and rule.

And if they don't want to do a unilateral deal then we'll either look elsewhere or make it/grown it ourselves.

just saying

Elegran Thu 30-Jun-16 14:29:59

It is not just our imports/exports TO and FROM the single market. Being in it also affects how we trade with the rest of the world - the deals that the single market has made with other countries apply applied to us. We got the same terms as everyone else in the single market for our imports/exports to them. all the agreements will have to be redone. Some hard work lies ahead horse-trading our smaller (but perfectly formed!) buying public against the bigger sales that the single market can offer.

Joelsnan Thu 30-Jun-16 14:32:47

I think that unfortunately because they are members of the single market', they could not operate unilaterally, though maybe they wish they could. We can trade unilaterally with any other country in the world once free from EU and will be able to bid for trade that is specifically in the interests of UK and not the 27others.
I always likened the single market to living on a housing estate, where you had to ask permission to buy any furniture, ideally you would buy from a neighbour. If not the neighbours set how much you could spend , what colour it must be and before the actual purchase would have to view it and everyone would have to say yes it looks okay.

petra Thu 30-Jun-16 14:39:35

I see the French and Finnish finance ministers have said there is no red line in the sand with regards to trade. Meaning, take no notice of what the eu says, we can work this out.
Also the German car companies have warned Merkle not to mess with the trade deals they have with us.

GandTea Thu 30-Jun-16 14:50:06

Petra, where do you get your information from ? (this is not a trick question) I never seem to find any news reports with any depth.

gangy5 Thu 30-Jun-16 16:32:39

So much importance seems to be attached to the single market and like you Anya I am thinking 'for why?' Nothing should be negotiated if it involves giving in to free movement of peoples.
We are now without our own Dept.for Trade as all trade deals were negotiated by the EU - not just for Europe but world wide. This Department needs to be set up immediately and negotiations started' ready for when we are free of the EU.

rosesarered Thu 30-Jun-16 16:37:13

in any case, why would we want to stay in the single market when we would have to accept free movement of people along with it?

nigglynellie Thu 30-Jun-16 16:39:27

Never mind a housing estate! I've likened it to getting out of Colditz!!!

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 16:46:39

There's not much point in having a deal with Greece for olive oil, because the Greeks export most of their olives to other EU countries with more efficient processing plants.

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 16:50:10

Up to now, foreign companies have invested in the UK BECAUSE we are part of the single market. There is a serious risk they will relocate from the UK, because the EU is a much more valuable market to them than the UK alone.

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 16:50:50

I think that's a ridiculous analogy, niggly.

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 16:54:24

That £350,000 (even it had been true) a day really isn't going to go very far, once it's given more to the NHS, paid for Erasmus, given grants to Cornwall, Wales and other areas, subsidised farmers and fishermen, paid the salaries of all the extra negotiators, lawyers, accountants and border control staff......

suzied Thu 30-Jun-16 18:20:53

If we have to have separate tariffs with the EU imagine what it will be like at our key port in Dover, hundreds of lorries come to and fro every day with fruit, veg, dairy products, bits of tractors,etc etc- will every lorry have to have some customs duty to pay on their shipments and vice versa? At the moment we have a 0% tariff - are we going to get a better deal than that? Imagine the red tape!

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 18:26:34

Exactly! I sometimes sell stuff on EBay, but have given up selling to the US and Canada, because the red tape and import duties aren't worth the extra money I can get from those markets. Selling to EU buyers is no more difficult than selling to the UK (and post is occasionally cheaper too).

nigglynellie Thu 30-Jun-16 18:31:12

We're all entitled to our opinions dd!!!grin

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 18:36:08

Exactly! I'm entitled to mine.

petra Thu 30-Jun-16 18:43:24

GandTea The article Re the French and Finnish finance ministers was in the Daily Mail today. Did you see the interview that Matt Fry ( channel 4 news) did with the president of the German CBI. That is what he said Re the German car industry.
Plus my SIL is a business manager for Audi and has not long come back from Ingolstadt ( Audis head office)

daphnedill Thu 30-Jun-16 19:04:21

German car manufacturers will not be in control of import tariffs set by the UK. They can hassle Merkel as much as they want, but it won't be up to her.

It will depend whether the UK decides to protect its own car industry (and jobs) or abandon tariffs to keep prices of imports (and inflation) down, especially as the weak pound is already going to make imports more expensive.

nigglynellie Thu 30-Jun-16 20:25:21

Of course you are dd, and of course you are always right! heaven forbid anyone should say differently¡

Anya Thu 30-Jun-16 20:40:59

suzied the import/export duties are not handed over at point of entry/exit like buy a McDonalds at a drive through! grin

Images of lorry drivers searching through pockets to find loose change

These are paid online these days as are declaration of goods, etc..

And yes, EU can members can cut trade deals with others countries.

DD don't get your first two sentences above - the appear to contradict each other.

petra Thu 30-Jun-16 20:43:34

Your right daphnedill it's really bad isn't it? That emergency budget that Osbourne presented to us not because we are going to hell in a hand cart. Oh no, he changed his mind, didn't he.

Anya Thu 30-Jun-16 20:46:10

DD don't take everything so literally - as with the olive oil grin grin grin Perhaps we can import more herring from Norway and revive our kipper industry wink

Anya Thu 30-Jun-16 20:47:02

Or lied exaggerated Petra?

petra Thu 30-Jun-16 20:59:16

So a company want to sell me billions worth of their goods. But I only need to sell them a small ( in comparison) amount of goods. Who's got the whip hand. I think that would be me.

petra Thu 30-Jun-16 21:53:18

Hate mention this but Hollonde has said that the border will stay in Calais. I think this goes in the same out tray as the emergency budget.