Gransnet forums

Pets

Elderly cat getting very thin.

(58 Posts)
Anne58 Sun 15-Apr-12 17:04:44

I don't think there's much to be done about this, but just wanted to ask if others have had the same experience.

The oldest of my mogs is suddenly looking very thin, and when we stroke her every bone in her spine and pelvis can be felt. She eats well, doesn't seem to be drinking excessively and seems ok in herself (still jumps up onto laps, the bed, sofa etc)

We adopted her 10 years ago, and she wasn't young then, we estimate that she is probably over 20!

LynneB59 Tue 22-May-18 22:57:50

Your cat is really old... and she may well have an overactive thyroid, which is common in elderly cats (my own 17yr old was the same). A blood test will show that. If it is the case, then the vet can prescribe medication (my cat had a cream which I rubbed into the skin of her ear, once a day).

The question is - do you want to do that?

grandtanteJE65 Fri 25-May-18 12:07:58

It just struck me today, but does she go out and hunt? If so, or even if she has fleas the loss of weight might just be due to intestinal worms.

I have just discovered the my Storm has round-worm and already three days after being wormed he is gaining weight again.

cloud9vetswn Fri 14-Sep-18 13:39:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 14-Sep-18 16:08:14

I was able to crush up the thyroid tablets and get my cat to eat them that way, which both of us much preferred to the time-honoured method where you thrust it onto the back of the cat's tongue and hold his mouth closed until he swallows.

Sadly, the improvement didn't last long here, but Storm died peacefully, having enjoyed life up to practically the last minute.

Your cat isn't there yet, it sounds as if she is still enjoying life and your company, so have a word with the vet.

6dogs7cats Sun 06-Jan-19 22:20:04

My almost 18 yr old blind no longer going outside or using the litter box is practically skeletal. But seems to be eating and drinking normally and peeing and pooping as usual. I finally had to confine him in the bathroom. Because my dogs will eat up his food, the door has to be closed. I’ve put piddle pads everywhere and since I only have one indoor convenience which must be passed through to access the washer and dryer I’m in and out of there frequently so he’s monitored closely. I also take him out a couple times daily for social time. A couple of years ago another of my oldsters spent about 2 years in there. She was long haired with matting tendencies and was getting fiber supplements twice daily in her special wet food to prevent another blockage incident. Her diet caused cleanliness issues, both for her and the bathroom. Fortunately for my Gracy boy, he’s short haired. And no digestive difficulties despite my switching him to wet food in an effort to build him up a little which caused, well he’s back on kibble and otherwise back to normal except for his weight. In my experience, veterinary intervention is often fruitless, expensive, and stressful for the elderly cat. So my mo in the absence of any other sign of sickness is to focus on supporting their quality of life until they go or let me know I must act for them. I’ve had 2 who died peacefully in my arms and each time it was an incredibly powerful experience. I felt so connected to them and honored to be present. So
be present. I had one whose mouth cancer was preventing him from eating and I tube fed for months because I couldn’t bear the thought of putting my otherwise healthy beautiful 8 y o guy down because he couldn’t eat. But I did. Needless to say, I’m not thrilled about another long period having a permanent lodger I have to clean up after but I’ll do my best. I welcome comments and suggestions. I know some of will judge and I’m ok with that. I have too many animals but they’are all rescued and have a better home with me than the one they had before. They’re well fed and spoiled rotten. When they are sick or injured beyond my ability to handle I take them to the vet. I could tell lots more stories but...; I’m going to look into steroids but no daily injections. Done that too.

Lynne59 Sun 06-Jan-19 22:36:28

Elderly cats often get kidney failure, and they drink a lot. They also get an overactive thyroid (weight loss).

My little Stella had both, which were detected early enough to be treated - NOT by tablets, which I thought was too traumatic - but by a cream that was rubbed into the skin of her ear once a day, and a liquid which I squirted into her mouth once a day. The treatment cost approximately £80 per month, and she needed blood tests every 3 months.

She was very thin, all of her bones could be felt. She weighed 5lbs. She ate 4 pouches of food a day, plus biscuits. Some days she had fresh, cooked chicken for the 4 meals a day.

She had to be put to sleep last April, due to heart failure and general old age. She was approximately 18, possibly older.

The main thing is that your beloved cat is kept pain-free, warm, cosy and comfortable, in her old age. x

grandtanteJE65 Mon 07-Jan-19 14:47:52

It's hell, isn't it, when they get to this stage?
As long as she's happy, give her extra food, perhaps see the vet and find out whether it is thyroid deficiency or something else.

In my experience, cats know when their time is up, and make it quite clear to us who love them when they have had enough. Like you, I hope she slips away peacefully when the day comes.