Gransnet forums

Pets

New cats!

(95 Posts)
grannylyn65 Sun 24-Jul-16 16:43:06

Have just 'adopted' 2 2year old cats! They had a bit of a look about, eaten a bit and now have taken refuge behind sofa/setee ! If I pull sofa out, one will come up to me and rub himself all over me, and has been up on my lap, the other is reserving judgement! I only got them yesterday and, as yet have not used litter box, don't appear
to have gone elsewhere ( its a tiny house ) Should I just leave them be or be more proactive?
They are brothers btw.

grannylyn65 Sun 24-Jul-16 21:17:08

Savings account! What a brilliant idea ??!!

Charleygirl Sun 24-Jul-16 21:25:11

grannylyn65 my cat understands the word no and obeys 99% of the time.

Juggernaut Sun 24-Jul-16 21:33:20

Oh they're gorgeous, I love black cats!
We adopted two litter sisters who'd been left on the doorstep of a local cat rescue society. They were in a cardboard box, taped closed, no air holes and they can't have been more than four weeks old.
The rescue society knew I was looking for two female kittens, so rang to ask if I'd be willing to take these two as my family have always had cats and they needed someone who was experienced enough to look after such young 'babes'.
We named them Salt (tortoiseshell) and Pepper (jet black), Salt weighed 13 ozs and Pepper was just 11 ozs, so they were teeny tiny!
It was a miracle they survived, mainly due to my patience with them and feeding them day and night using an eye dropper!
We must have done something right with them, because Pepper lived to be fifteen years and three months, Salt got to twenty years and four months!
They were both gorgeous girls, even though Salt was completely insane as are many tortoiseshells.

grannylyn65 Sun 24-Jul-16 21:39:32

I plan to try to introduce no! fairly soon. Atm they are drinking dirty water from plant saucer and ignoring nice fresh water from their bowl ??

phoenix Sun 24-Jul-16 21:54:49

Enjoy your new chaps, grannylyn it can be a really enjoyable time, getting to know new cats, their little foibles etc!

Both my boys were "adopted", ( not at the same time) and although today I have roundly cursed Oliver Sprout for repeatedly coming in soaking wet (he just loves being given a brisk rub down with a towel!) and accused Digby of being the laziest cat in the village (he is) I wouldn't be without them!

grannylyn65 Mon 25-Jul-16 07:40:16

They are desparate to get outside, looking at me plaintively, they seem to be night eaters; other cat 'grazed' all day! So after a week or so let them out first thing when they hungry!
Success with litter tray ?
This am are playing together for first time grin

f77ms Mon 25-Jul-16 07:40:36

grannylyn65 Your cats are so lucky to have found a lovely home , am sure you will get years of pleasure from them in return. Just let them do their own thing for a while, which cats tend to do anyway ! xx

Christinefrance Mon 25-Jul-16 08:19:04

That's brilliant grannylyn65 wish more people would rehome animals instead of going to expensive and sometimes disreputable breeders. Think you will have so much pleasure from them. It's true about black cats but don't know why.
What a lovely thoughtful young man too.
I didn't know what 'couthy' meant either, good new word for me.

Charleygirl Mon 25-Jul-16 09:05:58

Once they know and trust you, you will have a great time together. They are looking after themselves, feeding their tums!!!

rosesarered Mon 25-Jul-16 13:47:23

Black cats are especially good about sitting upright and silent and looking mysterious.

Jane10 Mon 25-Jul-16 16:59:19

Black cats are beautiful but I'm an equal opportunities cat lover -I love them all!
Hope the boys are settling in.

grannylyn65 Mon 25-Jul-16 18:34:33

Yes, still mostly hibernating but coming up for a cuddle when they feel like it!

seacliff Mon 25-Jul-16 19:05:07

I've been helping out with a cat charity for the last year or so, and we find it is unfortunately true that black cats are hardest to home. Many just want ginger or tabbies, often cute kittens. Personally I think they all have their own charm.

We have been fostering our first lot of kittens, all beautiful long haired, three tabbies and one black. Two have been rehomed already, another may go this week.

Hope they've ventured out a bit more today.

grannylyn65 Mon 25-Jul-16 20:02:22

I own this sofa !

phoenix Mon 25-Jul-16 20:47:54

Lovely pic!

When we first got squeaky fatarse Digby, he lived(of his own choice) in the downstairs loo for 3 daysconfused, Oliver Sprout, on the other hand came out of the cat carrier and immediately strolled around, rubbing on door frames etc and making himself very much at home!

Charleygirl Mon 25-Jul-16 21:04:20

That cat has definitely moved in!

Lupin Tue 26-Jul-16 08:44:14

If the litter tray is still an issue then try this. Fill it with garden earth instead of litter. They sound like they were allowed access outdoors and may not recognise the litter for what it is. I had this problem with a cat who was an outdoors boy. He had to have surgery and to be kept in for a few days. He was desperate to get out and prowled endlessly but refused to use the tray until I used garden earth. Then he fell asleep for ages. What a relief it must have been, and bless him - he just would not soil indoors.
Wishing you long and lovely times with your cats.

grannylyn65 Tue 26-Jul-16 10:31:58

Had a young man in bed last night! Its been a while ???!

Charleygirl Tue 26-Jul-16 11:14:42

His brother will soon be joining him and you will be spoiled for choice! He has certainly settled in.

Jane10 Tue 26-Jul-16 12:41:24

Lovely photo! Glad to hear you had company last night.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 26-Jul-16 13:34:11

Look at that face! shock He's gorgeous! grin

That's a good tip Lupin wink

phoenix Tue 26-Jul-16 19:17:03

Sounds like all is going well, loving the updates!

tiggypiro Tue 26-Jul-16 19:36:06

What a lovely story grannylyn and probably soon to be a threesome in bed no doubt !!
Some of you will remember my post of almost 2 yrs ago when Purdy Puss walked into my house (literally) as a kitten of about 10 weeks. At that time she would fit in the palm of my hand but certainly could not now. She has grown into a beautiful cat and as the vet said at the time 'she knew a mug when she saw one'. Love her to bits as you obviously do too with your boys grannylyn Totally agree with the savings account instead of insurance - Purdy has cost much less than £12 per month in vets fees (as did my pony when I had one)

grannylyn65 Tue 26-Jul-16 20:34:27

Thanks tiggy, another baffling question - how on earth can I lose a cat in a teeny tiny house??!!! confused

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 26-Jul-16 20:45:32

Now you are being tested by your young men grannylynn! How do you find black cat hiding in a dark place! grin