Gransnet forums

Pictures

Note: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't appear to have loaded, refresh the page (they can be slow to appear). If it doesn't load at all, try making it smaller (50KB max).

What advice would you give your teenage self?

(30 Posts)
GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 01-Oct-14 16:14:35

Do you want your advice & portrait to be immortalized forever as part of a new nationwide photo project for Gransnet?

Based on an earlier thread on this topic, we had some wonderful answers and then, when Galen suggested a Gransnet Calendar we wondered whether actually we could combine the two ideas (with Galen’s blessing of course). We're grateful to Venture Photography for partnering with us on this project, since logistically it would have proved impossible to do without them.

So the hunt is on – we’re looking for gransnetters who have a great piece of advice for their teenage self, and a good photo of themselves at that age!

If chosen to take part you will be invited for a professional portrait session at your nearest Venture Studios (check map of where here www.venturephotography.com/studios/ ). And then you, your advice and photo of your younger self would all be captured forever in a unique new portrait that you can keep.

We do appreciate that it won't be convenient for everyone, but Venture have very kindly helped us to set this up - and it is the best way to enable the greatest number of gransnetters to participate.

So, tell us what advice you would give your teenage self.

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Oct-14 17:06:14

I didn't like my teenage self much at all. I think I would rather not remember that pert of my life. I am very much more self confident now I am older.

Anne58 Wed 01-Oct-14 18:25:06

Then perhaps Nellie your advice to your teenage self could be something like: "Don't worry, this too will pass" or "It all works out in the end"

HildaW Wed 01-Oct-14 18:48:51

I think my advice would be ....not to be in such a rush...to slow down and take my time before making all those decisions. Its not that I regret them...that would be pointless, its just that I did not allow myself to see all the options.

Anne58 Wed 01-Oct-14 19:26:06

But Hilda isn't that part of the very nature of the beast?

HildaW Wed 01-Oct-14 19:43:58

Phoenix.....of course it is......but I look at modern teens and 20 somethings and realise they are allowed to stay quite child-like and fancy free in some ways. I was brought up to almost 'grow-up' over night....I hit 16 and was expected to leave school get a proper job and decide what I was going to do......for the rest of my life!
Nowadays people can rethink their lives at almost any age.

annodomini Wed 01-Oct-14 20:06:51

Keep your feet warm and your head cool. grin

janeainsworth Thu 02-Oct-14 00:12:34

Not sure my teenage self would have taken a lot of notice! Are we supposed to put the pic on here?

Valbeasixties Thu 09-Oct-14 16:23:03

It would be: 'Trust your gut feeling' when making decisions and 'Feel the fear but do it anyway.'

I was too easily persuaded by others when making decisions and so shy that I often avoided social situations.

Lilygran Thu 09-Oct-14 17:06:09

Nobody noticed the awful gaffe which will wake you up in the small hours. And stop wasting so much time daydreaming!

Eleanorre Thu 09-Oct-14 18:33:46

I wish that we had had good careers advice at school .I took a job in a bank as I was 17 and did not really know what I wanted or could do. At that time is was unusual to have stayed on at school until 17 and take that kind of job. My mother was not pleased she wanted me to go on to further education .However it turned out to be a good job to go back to part time once the children were older .In the job market to-day it would be looked on as a good job to get. I remember the exam sat I was quite offended by some of the questions they were so easy.

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Nov-14 14:23:16

Thank you all for the words of wisdom so far.
Don't forget you can upload photos on this thread too smile

FarNorth Thu 06-Nov-14 14:58:17

Seems slightly odd that Gransnet wants to produce a calendar of (mainly, I suspect) teenage girls.
I think contributors should put in any image that they feel represents themself, whether a photo of themself or anything else.

FarNorth Thu 06-Nov-14 14:59:40

p.s. My advice - don't always do what you are told.

rosesarered Thu 06-Nov-14 19:08:02

My advice to my teenage self would be; concentrate on the lesson and stop looking out of the window in school.
Stop wishing you were taller,
ENJOY being attractive [and stop blushing.]
Listen to people more.
Be nicer to your Mother!

I would not want a pic of myself on a G'net calendar at any age thanks.

pompa Thu 06-Nov-14 20:00:18

Leave home asap. Leaving home at 18 to go to Uni was a life changer for our kids, worrying for us, but they had to stand on their own feet. Nearest thing they get to national service theses days.

Marmight Fri 07-Nov-14 09:44:10

Be braver
Believe in yourself
Make a decision and stick to it
Don't be so shy
You are not fat
Live for the moment not the future

fmonson Sun 09-Nov-14 17:41:39

I would try to stress that you don't need to be perfect at everything. Just do your best and enjoy it - and that everything will be OK!

RolandMoore Wed 12-Nov-14 10:01:01

My teenage self was a dick. Sorry for the language, but its true i was never great full to my parents i always acted out and i hated my father for no reason he was so sad because of that...He got sick and i didn't even go to the hospital to see him thats how bad i was...I just have to say that you shouldn't act like like a stupid kid, be kind to your parents, don't do stupid things...

goose1964 Wed 12-Nov-14 19:11:39

work at things - I was a very academic child & school came easy until my a levels & I coasted along- passed with lower grades than I wanted and ended up at a college I hated & left in my second year because my course was boring

papaoscar Sun 16-Nov-14 04:04:49

I would say to myself - be yourself, not what others want, or tell you, to be. Use your strengths to your best advantage, accept your weaknesses and work round them. Enjoy yourself without hurting yourself or others. Be glad you are the person you are. Do not worry about premature hair loss!

thatbags Sun 16-Nov-14 08:18:10

When you want to follow a path that is harmless, follow it and don't be persuaded not to by those who think they know better. They may have your best interests at heart but sometimes that's not what is needed. What is needed is your own drive and your own decisions about what it is important for you to do.

I've struggled to put it into comprehensible words but I think it boils down to "follow your instincts" (or 'dream').

NotTooOld Tue 09-Dec-14 16:18:58

I would advise my teenage self to forget all that rubbish learned at Sunday School about putting others first. I even got married the first time in order not to upset someone else.

absent Tue 09-Dec-14 18:06:01

I rarely, if ever, give advice and I doubt that my teenage self would have listened if I had.

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 19-Dec-14 15:09:53

FarNorth

Seems slightly odd that Gransnet wants to produce a calendar of (mainly, I suspect) teenage girls.
I think contributors should put in any image that they feel represents themself, whether a photo of themself or anything else.

Just a small reminder any pictures of your teenage self would be used with portraits of gransnetters as they are now. If we have enough interest of course smile