Gransnet forums

News & politics

English voices to be heard? 38 degrees survey

(10 Posts)
MiniMouse Sun 21-Sep-14 12:51:59

38 degrees have just sent me this link to a survey regarding how the Scottish referendum could now affect how we are governed in England:

https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/what-next-for-England

Here's their full email:

Scotland has voted ‘no’ to independence. [1] Whether you’re celebrating or disappointed, Scottish people had a say. We have the result - but what next for the UK?

In England, we’ve watched as Scotland’s debated its future. In pubs, on buses, in schools, everyone in Scotland joined in.

South of the border, we just haven’t had the same debate. But the tide is turning. This morning, David Cameron said that it was time for “the millions of voices in England to be heard”. [2] But can we trust him to truly listen? Politicians will be keen to move on from the campaign that’s scarred them all.

If we act fast, together, we could use the momentum started in Scotland to shape the political system we want to see.

Is there too much power in Westminster? What needs to change? Click here to take a 2 minute survey on what 38 Degrees members could demand in England:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/what-next-for-England

What's the main problem with our politics? Are we too focused on Westminster? Should cities have more power? How about regional parliaments, or an English one? What would spark the kind of revival of democracy we’ve seen north of the border?

These questions are way too important to be left to politicians. So let's come together quickly to decide what sort of politics we want to see - and get a real debate going before the political class shut it down.

Improving our political system is no easy feat, but we know that when we work together we can make amazing things happen. We’ve stopped the sale of our forests and the closure of our hospitals. Right now 38 Degrees members are pushing for a law that would let voters sack bad MPs. [3]

We’ve got an opportunity here: let’s make the most of our power.

(With apologies if this has already been covered in the other threads, I haven't had time to catch up on them today!)

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 21-Sep-14 13:12:53

Oh for flips sake! They are doing their best. Give them time.

Alex Salmond has already been ridiculous saying the government are already going back on the promises. Did he really think it could happen overnight?

MiniMouse Sun 21-Sep-14 16:53:02

* Jingl* This is about England not Scotland! 38 degrees is merely asking people to think about what they'd like to happen in the future. What's wrong with that?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 21-Sep-14 19:13:28

Nothing wrong with it except for the fact the government are already working on plans for Scotland and England.

Too many of these 38 degrees things. I unsubscribed. hmm

glassortwo Sun 21-Sep-14 19:39:14

I have signed, living up here in the North East of England we are the lost land as far as Westminster are concerned and now is the time to make our voices heard.

MiniMouse Sun 21-Sep-14 19:43:38

Perhaps I've just become too cynical! Of course it will take time to implement changes, but I do wonder how watered down they may be. 38 degrees can seem a tad 'zealous', but they do seem to help get results!

durhamjen Sun 21-Sep-14 23:47:39

38 degrees were at the NHS AGM on Friday night. It was live online, and they asked some very important questions. They also want to know what we want them to do next about the NHS. Did anyone else watch it?
The NHS leaders were very patronising.
I think 38 degrees do some very good things. The problem with the opposition to what is happening to the NHS is that there are too many groups.

MiniMouse Mon 22-Sep-14 17:47:17

The problem with the opposition to what is happening to the NHS is that there are too many groups.

Yes, Durhamjen, I think that's often the problem with lots of issues. Plenty of opposition, but it's diluted by being scattered. This is where 38Degrees come into their own, I think!

HollyDaze Mon 22-Sep-14 17:58:01

The Scottish referendum has upset the apple cart hasn't it!

You will have to act fast or it will just be swept aside. You will have a fair bit of resistance but I do hope that England and Wales keep pushing at this.

hildajenniJ Mon 22-Sep-14 18:14:32

I agree with us being "the lost land" glass. In Northumberland we seem to be overlooked or ignored. We are inbetweeners, between England and Scotland. I suppose the reason is, that except for Newcastle, there are no big cities, and no industries left. Rural affairs mean very little to Westminster. Why not stand up and make our voices heard?